Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 in the UK - 2018.42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope not had anything replaced. I hear the routing is significantly better in the new nav which would be welcome as I find the current one virtually useless. I end up using Google Maps on my phone.

I must admit to being puzzled by the new nav rollout, or lack of. I've had it since June/early July and it is indeed much better at routing. As good as Waze from most accounts that I read. You need the new maps before the nav will arrive, the maps showing the water as grey is the tell tale sign. Often new maps will download in the background and you don't always get a notification that they've arrived, it's not like a software update that you instigate. I've had a further map update since then as well.

Anecdotally maps only download over wifi, but I know of owners whose cars don't ever sit on wifi and it hasn't stopped them getting new maps.

However, I don't have V9 yet!

Got version 9 today.happy I can scroll camera to top if I want.only slight niggle is the seat heating symbols are too small maybe need to wear glasses soon as it's hard for me to tell what heat setting it's on.
Also the unlock charge port is now moved I liked it under the cancel charging button.

Speaking of maps I have been having some issues with the way the navigation alert works as sometimes it seems the alert is too late in instructing me to get in a specific lane. Also there were a couple of roundabouts where the nav said to take the first exit but the correct route was the second exit. Now this was in the previous version so I have not checked the version 9 yet. Is there a way to let Tesla know the routing info is incorrect like for example in Google Maps?

I must admit to being puzzled by the new nav rollout, or lack of. I've had it since June/early July and it is indeed much better at routing. As good as Waze from most accounts that I read. You need the new maps before the nav will arrive, the maps showing the water as grey is the tell tale sign. Often new maps will download in the background and you don't always get a notification that they've arrived, it's not like a software update that you instigate. I've had a further map update since then as well.

Anecdotally maps only download over wifi, but I know of owners whose cars don't ever sit on wifi and it hasn't stopped them getting new maps.

However, I don't have V9 yet!

I’ve been waiting to see if V9 might trigger the new nav but I’ve had V9 a few days and nothing so far. Oh well! I’ll raise it when it’s in for annual service next. Tesla’s roll out strategy is a mystery to me.

Speaking of maps I have been having some issues with the way the navigation alert works as sometimes it seems the alert is too late in instructing me to get in a specific lane. Also there were a couple of roundabouts where the nav said to take the first exit but the correct route was the second exit. Now this was in the previous version so I have not checked the version 9 yet. Is there a way to let Tesla know the routing info is incorrect like for example in Google Maps?
From a screenshot of the release notes: "We welcome feedback about the new Navigation. Send email to [email protected], or press the voice commands button on the right side of the steering wheel and say "Note" followed by your comments."
I've tried the voice feedback once, trouble is you don't get any indication of whether it's been received. During owner feedback sessions I believe it has been stated that every report is noted by Tesla though.
I've read elsewhere about the wrong exit being quoted on roundabouts. I tend to mute the voice and I think the on-screen guidance seems to be okay as I haven't noticed this issue. I found the old Nav was really late in giving turn directions and it certainly improved with the new Nav (but admittedly I'm now in the habit of trying to keep a step ahead of the Nav to compensate for late instructions).

Reactions: firewire
I've read elsewhere about the wrong exit being quoted on roundabouts. I tend to mute the voice and I think the on-screen guidance seems to be okay

I tend to ignore the actual content of the voice message and use it as a trigger to look down at the display.

Quite often the "nth exit" call-outs aren't entirely wrong, but a surprisingly large number of roundabouts have ambiguous exits - turnings to roads that haven't been built yet, laybys, exits you can't take due to no-entry signs etc. The cases I've seen of apparently wrong exit numbers have been down to how you count some of these things, which I'm not sure is consistent.

The other unhelpful one on the voice messages is "bear right" which really means "don't accidentally turn left", and there's lots of junctions where getting in the right-hand lane on hearing "bear right" is the wrong thing to do (because the true direction is more-or-less straight on). Again, looking at the display rather following what the voice says resolves the issue.

I just V9 42.3 this morning, seems this version you can have the camera back up at the top of the screen.

Attachments

• +NA8S2IhQROCygd2loBItw.jpg
    +NA8S2IhQROCygd2loBItw.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 72
The other unhelpful one on the voice messages is "bear right" which really means "don't accidentally turn left",

Yes! Absolutely! "Bear right" can mean anything from "turn right", to "don't turn right, go straight" to "make sure you're in the right hand lane" to "don't get into the right hand lane" to "oh look! the road gently curves around to the right".

I've definitely been led astray a few times by this one...

Overall seems a well thought out UI. Indeed if you manually open the camera from app launcher, it opens above the media player.

My only issue is that I miss the green traffic lines. Not having anything makes it uncertain if there is no traffic, or if the road not mapped for traffic.

I have got V9 and on the whole like a lot. The new screen layout is fine and good that three items can be up - I have map, camera and media most of the time.

I like that the lane change in Autopilot is more positive and quicker (before it was too slow) and works on some roads where it did not before.

Two things I don’t like are;

1) The anticipate percentage of charge at destination does not stay up on screen in navigation
2) The green lines are gone from maps for clear roads

The browser still does not work most of the time for me - but that does not worry me, as I will use my iPad if I want to browse the web anyway.

I prefer it without all the green lines on the map, especially at night. Shows how these things are merely a personal preference. Spotify seems less prone to hanging in V9, although it's early days yet. Still does the machine gun when losing signal midway through a track!