Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep the following in my web favorites and pull it up whenever I valet.
Tesla Valet Operation

I've only used valet 4-5 times so far, but haven't had any issues yet. As a matter of fact, I don't really 'say' anything, and they all act like I am in a Ferrari or Lambo - all attentive and reassuring, but unsolicited. The grin they have when they bring it back does always make me wonder :biggrin: But, I have to admit, I do like the attention :rolleyes: And its fun to ease drop a little as you walk away, and the valet kids are all goo-goo over it.

I run the Visible Tesla application on OSX. I keep it running all the time (Actually have it installed on an OSX server). It data logs everything and I can go pick any day and it will have all its data, including speed, GPS location on the map and all. I keep this data just in case one of those lousy cops pulls me over and lies as thats happened to me several times over the years. This for sure would have been the proof you needed for a valet. You can also set it to trigger emails alerts for various things if you like. I busted the wife for speeding that way as she has a few too many tickets already and can't afford another point on her record :biggrin:

Id file a police report and raise hell just to CYA. For all you know they robbed someone with your car or racked up tickets

I love my Model S! I am continually impressed with how much thought has gone in to every aspect of the car. I also know others are similarly impressed.

This evening the valet at an event I attended were so impressed they went for a joy ride. How do I know? The energy usage. I'm generally driving without massive spikes in energy usage. When the car was returned to me I was complimented on how nice it was. Then I noticed my rated miles were looking lower than I thought they should so I went to the energy view and it was clear they had taken the car on a VERY spirited drive. I suppose they might put down a deposit, but that isn't the point. A valet mode is something I never felt was critical until now. Not only could they have damaged the car (which would suck) they could kill someone or themselves driving like that.

I didn't hold up a line of people to make a scene, but am honestly pissed off. I'm not even a little amused.

As it turns out, this was the first time I've valeted the car. I truly never thought this would happen. More fool I. I'm just so glad no one got hurt and the car was returned intact.

My wife thinks I should call the police. That seems a little far to me, but really, I'm still annoyed and don't think I'll be allowing the car to be valeted any time soon.

2015 Corvettes include a valet feature that can be enabled with a PIN. When in valet mode:

Accessory storage is locked
Infotainment (media playback) is disabled
Audio and video is recorded for later review by the owner

See demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeO2dxH9tUI

I'd like the Tesla implementation to be a bit smarter and take advantage of the fact that the car has an always-on data connection and an owner with the smartphone app. Some things that Tesla could do:

Enable valet mode anytime the owner's smartphone is not present in the car
Send an alert if the car goes beyond a certain distance or above a certain speed
Log history of location and speed (like GPS trail), visible anytime via smartphone or center dash
Enable 2-way voice communication between smartphone and car

I'd like the Tesla implementation to be a bit smarter and take advantage of the fact that the car has an always-on data connection and an owner with the smartphone app. Some things that Tesla could do:

Enable valet mode anytime the owner's smartphone is not present in the car
Send an alert if the car goes beyond a certain distance or above a certain speed
Log history of location and speed (like GPS trail), visible anytime via smartphone or center dash
Enable 2-way voice communication between smartphone and car

Nice. Also, it would be clearly printed on the main screen:

VALET MODE ENABLED.

ROUTE, SPEED AND PEDAL TELEMETRY ARE BEING LOGGED FOR LATER VIEWING.

(accelerator pedal telemetry is visible on the phone if you're using the smartphone app while the valet is driving)

Hopefully this would deter any valets from doing anything other than what they're supposed to. If they are dumb enough to abuse the car while that is printed on the main screen, they should be taken to the cleaners :)

So when is Valet mode coming in a software upgrade to the Model S? :confused:
Still don't understand how something that seems so simple, I mean was also on my 2008 Roadster and 2010 Roadster, could still be lacking!

Now Corvette is trying to claim this space and it looks like they've got a bunch of great tools to their valet mode!
http://usat.ly/VG9AcT

PS-Wish I could embed the video here but don't see a direct link from USA Today and not sure how to use the embed code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Also, it would be clearly printed on the main screen:

VALET MODE ENABLED.

ROUTE, SPEED AND PEDAL TELEMETRY ARE BEING LOGGED FOR LATER VIEWING.

(accelerator pedal telemetry is visible on the phone if you're using the smartphone app while the valet is driving)

Hopefully this would deter any valets from doing anything other than what they're supposed to. If they are dumb enough to abuse the car while that is printed on the main screen, they should be taken to the cleaners :)

Personal preference, but I wouldn't include the first (underlined) sentence. I wouldn't want to tip the driver off that there is a way to turn it off. I want them to think it's a gimped vehicle full-time.