Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain is (almost) dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think there could be a comatose mode during certain hours when the car is at 'home'. When the car is parked at home, it would have a true REM sleep between the hours of say 10am and 6am (user settable). To wake it up from the deep sleep, the car would need to take a shower, get dressed etc… so the driver would give it 15 minutes. The rest of the time it could be in its current sleep mode.

You must know a lot more about the engineering in every electronic device ever made than most engineers to make this assertion. Perhaps you should teach a class.

Well this exchange is probably getting moved to snippiness, but it's rather common sense that doing nothing doesn't require much power.

Consider the iPhone 5S. It's battery is less than 6 Wh. If that lasts a day, which is pretty reasonable for moderate use, that's about a quarter watt of power, on average. (Standby is more like 0.02 watts.). My argument is this should be the benchmark for any device in standby, and any energy expenditure beyond that better have a very good justification.

Agree 100%. It's just sloppy engineering for any electronic device to consume so much power while it is doing so little.
it's rather common sense that doing nothing doesn't require much power.
"little" != "nothing"

Also, you're assuming the Model S is doing "little" while it's in sleep mode. I'm pretty sure we know it's not doing little -- or at least not what I would call little.

"little" != "nothing"

Also, you're assuming the Model S is doing "little" while it's in sleep mode. I'm pretty sure we know it's not doing little -- or at least not what I would call little.

I'm with markb1; they need to get their vampire draw down further. Other battery electric vehicles can already do this and other electronic computing devices do too, at least with companies that are able to make really great engineering and design a priority. I think Tesla is such a company but it takes effort and they've got a lot on their plate – it's still an important goal though. Don't drain the battery just sitting there. Use lower power components, shut off as much as possible, be smarter about how and when to do any idle tasks. (And it sounds like they need to get the startup time faster to at least match other battery electric vehicles, from what I remember of that thread about this. Sounded much slower than the LEAF.)

Last edited:
(And it sounds like they need to get the startup time faster to at least match other battery electric vehicles, from what I remember of that thread about this. Sounded much slower than the LEAF.)

Mine goes to sleep every day at work. By the time I get in the car and put on my seatbelt, it's up and on some days the display shows one more mile of range than it did when I parked. I just don't see a startup time problem here.

I'm with markb1; they need to get their vampire draw down further. Other battery electric vehicles can already do this and other electronic computing devices do too, at least with companies that are able to make really great engineering and design a priority. I think Tesla is such a company but it takes effort and they've got a lot on their plate – it's still an important goal. Don't drain the battery just sitting there. Use lower power components, shut off as much as possible, be smarter about how and when to do any idle tasks. (And it sounds like they need to get the startup time faster to at least match other battery electric vehicles, from what I remember of that thread about this. Sounded much slower than the LEAF.)

I also agree with markb1.

Companies that make products that waste energy or water rightly become the targets of environmentalists. Just because Model S owners can afford to pay the small cost of wasted vampire energy, does not make it socially responsible to do so. Producing that energy, multiplied by the entire Model S population, wastes considerable resources and produces CO2, NOx, sulfer, mercury, and other pollutants, most of which have public health consequences.

As others have pointed out, the is no technical justification for this pollution and waste. Other compaines have produced similar products with much lower vampire power draw.

GSP

I would be interested to know the ideal temperature to store the Model S, and learn the vampire draw at that point. That is, at what temperature does the battery need no cooling/heating. Then any kWh draw at that point could be ascribed to electronics and inherent chemistry losses.

Somewhere around room temperature. Between 18 and 24 degrees. (Room temperature is 21). More-or-less if you are reasonably comfortable then so are your batteries and electronics.

Folks that buy $100k cars complaining about a cost of 10c per day or about $36 per year !

The real issue was how much range one lost by just sitting overnight impacting your ability to drive the needed distance next day which is now around 3 miles of lost range - nothing much to worry about.

For me this is the most important and accurate point made in this discussion. We as end users do not have the ability to measure squat regarding this sleep mode drain and it really doesn't matter. The only common thing every user concentrates on is "the range I have when I get in the car".

Sorry Cal1, I respectfully disagree. I have a way through my utility to accurately measure this.

Also I very sincerely care about the environment. In 4.5, the Vampire drain was effectively driving the car 2,700 miles per year! That is a lot of wasted energy.

I've yet to be even a wee bit concerned about the range loss, that seems trivial from a practical sense unless one was on a road trip pushing range.

We as end users do not have the ability to measure squat regarding this sleep mode drain and it really doesn't matter. The only common thing every user concentrates on is "the range I have when I get in the car".

For me this is the most important and accurate point made in this discussion. We as end users do not have the ability to measure squat regarding this sleep mode drain and it really doesn't matter. The only common thing every user concentrates on is "the range I have when I get in the car".

You might feel that way, but I can assure you that I wouldn't be buying a Gen 3 if Tesla feels the same way. Fortunately, I don't believe they do and exoect them eventually to match every other PEV.

Folks that buy $100k cars complaining about a cost of 10c per day or about $36 per year! The real issue was how much range one lost by just sitting overnight impacting your ability to drive the needed distance next day which is now around 3 miles of lost range - nothing much to worry about.

Even super off peak rates in San Diego are now $0.16 perKWh, so it's more like $64 a year :).

$0.10. $0.16. Try $0.28 per KWh here in Hawaii. no matter how much, it is still a waste of money/electricity/mileage. Yes v5.8 is better but still needs improvement.

Sorry Cal1, I respectfully disagree. I have a way through my utility to accurately measure this.

Also I very sincerely care about the environment. In 4.5, the Vampire drain was effectively driving the car 2,700 miles per year! That is a lot of wasted energy.

What a great utility! Is this something you created? I didn't mean that it can't be measured but that most do not have or care to measure it. I feel you're under estimating typical range anxiety. Just look at the general reviews, they overstate this to the nth degree. When the real next round comes between Tesla and the major players it will be on range. They will all come to the table with performance to match. Thats the challenge when you are the leader, everyone is gunning for you. What I'm trying to say is miles per charge will be the words of battle. Not milliamps etc.

Thanks for showing how the recharge system seems to work. I haven't had a chance to really study it to see what level is triggering recharging. It would be nice to have this type of data in a display on the car.

I agree on the first look, people would be concerned with range anxiety. I've been driving Teslas for 4 1/2 years now, so I think I have 'forgotten' about that fact. It is kind of a new buyer thing.

I can measure it through the utility (which I cannot actually praise), it is somewhat 'easy'. The charts come out from the utility on a daily basis, and I can download them. I did the first experiment sort of by accident as I was in Spain for a month, and thought it would be good for 'science' to do a second one now.

I completely agree that having the car tell you would be even better. All these things will just slowly come over time. I'm just motivated in the interest in getting accurate data out there and helping the planet.

I'm actually not a Tesla stockholder, and I also think it would be great if all the other car companies had competitive electric products.

I agree on the first look, people would be concerned with range anxiety. I've been driving Teslas for 4 1/2 years now, so I think I have 'forgotten' about that fact. It is kind of a new buyer thing.
To "remember", drive in 0 degree Fahrenheit.

- - - Updated - - -

$0.10. $0.16. Try $0.28 per KWh here in Hawaii. no matter how much, it is still a waste of money/electricity/mileage. Yes v5.8 is better but still needs improvement.

I agree 100%

I can measure it through the utility (which I cannot actually praise), it is somewhat 'easy'. The charts come out from the utility on a daily basis, and I can download them. I did the first experiment sort of by accident as I was in Spain for a month, and thought it would be good for 'science' to do a second one now.
I completely agree that having the car tell you would be even better. All these things will just slowly come over time. I'm just motivated in the interest in getting accurate data out there and helping the planet.
I'm actually not a Tesla stockholder, and I also think it would be great if all the other car companies had competitive electric products.

I've been enjoying your blog. Thanks.

I've noticed under 5.8 that when plugged in and sleeping. The car loses 5-10% of rated range displayed on the screen after charging stops. Usually within no more than 3 or 4 hours. It's plugged in and sleeping. This has me confused. Is everyone else seeing this? Explanation?

I've been enjoying your blog. Thanks.

I've noticed under 5.8 that when plugged in and sleeping. The car loses 5-10% of rated range displayed on the screen after charging stops. Usually within no more than 3 or 4 hours. It's plugged in and sleeping. This has me confused. Is everyone else seeing this? Explanation?

I don't think the rated range is accurate right after charging, and it changes slightly as the batteries cools down, etc. It's not clear it's actually using or loosing any energy.

Also, the dash rated range freqently does not match the touch screen range, so I'm not sure which is correct. They can differ by 2 or more miles. I think the iPhone app matches the touch screen value, but that does not mean it's more correct, just using the same source.

I don't think the rated range is accurate right after charging, and it changes slightly as the batteries cools down, etc. It's not clear it's actually using or loosing any energy.

Absolutely correct. I did a range charge on my 85 this weekend for a trip and it stopped at 245 rated, and it was coldish in the garage, maybe 50F. Before leaving I warmed up the car on shore power. As soon as I unplugged to leave (like the instant I did), it jumped to 253. There's lots going on under the covers on estimating SOC and range. Emphasis on the word estimating.