Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vented seats gone, alcantara dash gone, air suspension gone = new S interior coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the Model 3 approaches, Tesla seems to be decontenting the S - rather than moving it upmarket. Personally I think something's up - as in Tesla getting ready to introduce a new interior and perhaps an advanced new suspension. We've seen in the last 6 months:
  • Ventilated seats bye bye (I've got 'em - they work - they don't rip if you are reasonably careful)
  • Alcantara dash bye-bye
  • No more air suspension without the largest battery (I got both coils and air -> air's ride smoothness speaks "luxury")
Simplifying production? Sure. Alcantara dash ugly/unnecessary? Perhaps, matter of taste. But these moves are also de-contenting the S. Some of the biggest complaints on the S are a rough ride on coils, interior too plain for the taste of some and no ventilated seats (despite the fact that they're available on ICE cars half the price).

Now that the alcantara dash disappeared this week - it looks like a trend to me - getting rid of existing parts stock perhaps prior to launching a second generation S interior along with the 3 or perhaps just after the 3?

Regardless of whether you like alcantara - it does say "luxury" to many buyers. So just when the S needs to be moved upmarket - Tesla is actually removing luxury from the car. Tesla is not stupid - so I think this means a new interior and perhaps suspension (MBZ magic body control and/or magnetorheological dampers ahead?) are close.

Thoughts?

Nothing to add but I agree.

Do not know if I think prior to M3 or Oct 15ish time line like previously with AP1 and AP2.

Major changes happen at quarter interverals when they shut down factory for a week. So July 1 or Oct 1.

Reactions: calisnow
I think it's also possible that an entirely new S - full second generation car - will be sprung on the world with zero warning at some unknown point. Notice Tesla gives us roadmaps of everything except the now-6-year-old S. They talk up the Y. They talk up the big rig. But absolutely nothing about second gen S - coupled with increasingly wacky marketing gimmicks (disappearance of supercharging, return of supercharging, followed by limiting it to dec 31 this year).

Reactions: David99
As the Model 3 approaches, Tesla seems to be decontenting the S - rather than moving it upmarket. Personally I think something's up - as in Tesla getting ready to introduce a new interior and perhaps an advanced new suspension. We've seen in the last 6 months:
  • Ventilated seats bye bye (I've got 'em - they work - they don't rip if you are reasonably careful)
  • Alcantara dash bye-bye
  • No more air suspension without the largest battery (I got both coils and air -> air's ride smoothness speaks "luxury")
Simplifying production? Sure. Alcantara dash ugly/unnecessary? Perhaps, matter of taste. But these moves are also de-contenting the S. Some of the biggest complaints on the S are a rough ride on coils, interior too plain for the taste of some and no ventilated seats (despite the fact that they're available on ICE cars half the price).

Now that the alcantara dash disappeared this week - it looks like a trend to me - getting rid of existing parts stock perhaps prior to launching a second generation S interior along with the 3 or perhaps just after the 3?

Regardless of whether you like alcantara - it does say "luxury" to many buyers. So just when the S needs to be moved upmarket - Tesla is actually removing luxury from the car. Tesla is not stupid - so I think this means a new interior and perhaps suspension (MBZ magic body control and/or magnetorheological dampers ahead?) are close.

Thoughts?

I hope you're right because it's the only reason I'm hesitating to pull the trigger and get one. I just think that as they launch the M3, something right around that time or shortly after will be announced for the S. If they can make any M3 reservation holders jump to an S, it's more profitable for Tesla.

Reactions: gowthamn
Interesting.

Back in December it was reported that Tesla had hired Volvo's 'Head of Interior Engineering' and we assumed her/his priority would be M3.

As that vehicle's interior design should be pretty much locked, maybe it's time to revisit S and X.

Reactions: gavine
Interesting.

Back in December it was reported that Tesla had hired Volvo's 'Head of Interior Engineering' and we assumed her/his priority would be M3.

As that vehicle's interior design should be pretty much locked, maybe it's time to revisit S and X.

That hiring spoke volumes. I guess it was too late for the Model 3, the RC prototypes look pretty much like the reveal prototypes and I don't think they are still working on it, so close before production.

But hiring him in December might also mean we will have to wait a bit longer for a new interior, than just after the Model 3 release.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and calisnow
The only thing I'm throwing in is I heard a rumor from someone (who would have sources closer to the source) who heard it from someone (presumably who could have sources closer to the source if not themselves that source) that they are stretched thin. Rumors are rumors.

This would tend to support two mutually compatible theories:
  1. All hands on Model 3 and other current projects (of my two points, this one has more likelihood)
  2. Spare time and a small amount of resources may already be applied in early pipeline stages for Model S & X redesigns (not mutually incompatible with point #1).
As part of point #2, we look at current projects underway:
  • Mars (SpaceX; probably not a lot of resources taken by Tesla staff): applicability close to 0. But, available design resources could be shifted via hiring modifications between the companies.
  • 40 ton Truck (maybe with or without driver, with or without sleeper; current design and engineering project): probably could be using design resources on this; already done??
  • Pickup (further behind Truck): design not yet started? Already started??
  • Van (ditto Pickup)
  • Model 3 (either already in press, or about to be in press, or both (probably working on templates as we speak)*): not much product design activity here left, if any. Design resources previously used for Model 3 probably fully available for other projects.
  • Model Y (coming on the heels of 40 ton truck?): could also be using design resources on this; not yet started, in the middle, or done??
  • Boring Co.: They could be using an unknown amount of design resources for this. They already did design work on that promo vid they sprung on us a few months ago (during Teddie Talk), but maybe movie artists are cheaper. It's quite possible artistry was pretty good from whatever sources Elon has for that type of stuff without taking away any design resources from Tesla.
So, that means most the design work is probably on 40 ton Truck and Model Y, but since they may have lulls of activity in those two, such as not yet at a particular stage or past a particular stage where design work is necessary, that does leave some staff availability for opening up the old Model S & X lines for some design work. As an alternative, they could just wipe out the staff they used for Model 3 and have no one left. They could even do partial designs, perhaps, for Model S & X. This hiring detail and focus would probably be Elon's bailiwick, so I'm pretty certain very few people not in the know have any actual detailed insight into these answers.

I generally agree with the possibilities @calisnow brought up.

---

* I expertly crafted that sentence to not reveal what I saw in the factory during the tour. If you want to know, go on a tour. I didn't see much and I didn't see nothing. (According to TMC users who have worked on automobile factory stamps (outside Tesla), template work is never finished.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: calisnow
I think it's also possible that an entirely new S - full second generation car - will be sprung on the world with zero warning at some unknown point. Notice Tesla gives us roadmaps of everything except the now-6-year-old S. They talk up the Y. They talk up the big rig. But absolutely nothing about second gen S - coupled with increasingly wacky marketing gimmicks (disappearance of supercharging, return of supercharging, followed by limiting it to dec 31 this year).
That seems consistent with both they aren't doing anything and they aren't doing nothing. They could hide either under that rock.

• Funny
Reactions: Olle and calisnow
Pencils down for the M3 design team was months ago. Different teams are making those designs real now. So there's a whole design team sitting there with nothin' much on and a new chief designer...

Yep. Once the the things get kicked over the the manufacturing team, the design team needs a project. The loss of the Alcantara is deeply suspicious. It sounds like the end of a run.

There has also been the optimization of removing certain interior trim options.

To me the idea that this might foreshadow a interior - or dash at least - refresh sounds perfectly plausible. Go through existing parts inventory before moving to the new design...

There is, after all, the rumor that claims Model S/X (not 3) is getting a new dash where the instrument cluster screen is replaced by a large (third of windshield or the like) HUD.

With a HUD the old top of the dash being discontinued certainly would make sense...

My recommendation is not to buy a Model S/X at this time but to wait for at least the Model 3 unveil to see if anything comes to Model S/X at that time.

With a new production line that can make 5 times as many of an ever so slightly smaller car, I think Model S is due a total redesign, ground-up. The end result may look and drive almost the same, but production costs should tumble further. Especially with that only slightly smaller car being made as good as possible (in Tesla tradition), but at half the price. They COULD drop the Model S price, the margin is there, but acutally dropping high 4 or low 5 digits in costs first much seem more attractive.
The new cells may not require a new outer battery pack, but it could be made smaller if 100kWh really suffices. Or more space could be made to jump to say 150kWh in an unsuspected mercy chop to the industry. Even if it's "just" a long wheelbase version. Imagine how much the well-off people would want that. If not to be chauffeured around in. Re-establishing Tesla as a premium brand, now stealing business from Bentley, etc.
Getting ready to make the most of 350kW CCS chargers may take quite a redesign. Not just in pack architecture and chemistry, but also main wiring provisions in the chassis.