Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't quite agree with you on the "slipped in" as the neural net update also wasn't mention in the release notes and that was a huge improvement.

Improvements of the NN's are probably considered "minor fixes and improvements" which they don't always list in the release notes, at least until such time that that those NN changes introduce major changes that warrant notification. Hopefully they're always making "minor fixes and improvements" so why even list it.

The last official word from Tesla is to not use AS in construction zones, at least as best I can recall. However, as @verygreen noticed once, they were taking snapshots of construction zone signage at some point, perhaps getting ready to handle them properly.

@Joe F I usually don't use Autopilot in a construction zone - especially never if workers are present - as it tended to be too unreliable. But if you review the footage and look at the IC, I would say the "road" (marked by the 2 blue lines) shown there indicate that the NN indeed "recognised" the cones as path boundaries. The leading car is right between the blue lines and not to the side. Speculation I know but isn't this forum a place to do such a thing? :D

@Joe F I usually don't use Autopilot in a construction zone - especially never if workers are present - as it tended to be too unreliable.

Wasn't criticizing, I was surprised it did as well as it did based on my earlier failed attempts in construction zones. That's why I "liked" the post. ;)

I feel all testing by those of us that are fully aware of the limitations of AP, and are prepared to take control before something wonky happens, is not irresponsible.

I picked my MX up a week ago and almost immediately when I connected to my home wifi, we got an update message to 2018.10.2. Is there a way to "ping" for the latest update or should I just wait patiently? It's like having the update flags on my iPhone - drives me nuts knowing that there's an update out there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nauti-Boy
I picked my MX up a week ago and almost immediately when I connected to my home wifi, we got an update message to 2018.10.2. Is there a way to "ping" for the latest update or should I just wait patiently? It's like having the update flags on my iPhone - drives me nuts knowing that there's an update out there.

2018.10.2 is the most current version for cars with the newer Intel based MCU. (And no, you can't force an update check, you get the update when Tesla gives it to you.)

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
If you think 10.4 AP gets too close to oncoming traffic on some curves, try keeping an eye on the lane lines in the rear camera view. Tess really doesn't drift any longer. Well, not my Tess. It's all in the mind ... it seems. Be sure to keep the other eye on the road ... impress your optometrist.

• Funny
Reactions: Magus
Is this update going to be sent to early card with AP1 and if so, has anyone received it for AP1 X’s? Any change to AP1 comfort?

I didn't original thinks so but I see it on 17 AP1 cars at http://firmware.teslafi.com
fUjHr3f.jpg

I know you're unimpressed with our bridges and such, but HWY 17 actually is a rather challenging highway. Lots of curves and elevation changes. It's not the most tricky mountain pass but considering that it is the primary route connecting a large city (Santa Cruz) to the Bay Area and is used in commute traffic daily, this is significant.

Yeah. I've been letting my Tesla autosteer on 17 as often as I could. When I'm on the freeway, I might not keep my hands on the wheel continuously. When I'm on 17, even when autosteer is on, I hold the wheel with an iron death grip. (And it still periodically tells me to put my hands on the wheel. I don't know what's up with that.)

Prior to this update, I averaged somewhere on the order of twenty manual disengagements because of unsafe behavior per round trip, ranging from straying across the midline into the adjacent lane (in the same direction) to straying across the edge line into the center barrier or mountainside. Most trips, I let the car steer less than half the time, because I would have to manually force it to disengage so often that I just said, "screw it".

Today, with the new firmware, I'm happy to say that I only had to yank the wheel once to get it to stop trying to hump the center barrier. It also ran over the line on a soft gore point just before another center barrier, but it missed the actual barrier by a large enough margin that I didn't have to take control. I did, however, file a bug, because crossing a gore point (even if it is just at a median) is illegal; I'm not sure if it was actually far enough over to have broken the law, but it was definitely much closer than it reasonably should have been.

I wonder if they get to hear the actual audio for our bug reports. If so, they're going to hear a great one from today. It went something like

"Bug report: Car is slowing down for no reason — Ding-Dong — Holy s**t! It just tried to crash into the center barrier."

It literally exhibited a second autosteer misbehavior while I was reporting the first one. I felt it suddenly cut the wheel to the left in the middle of a right curve with a center barrier less than a foot from the car, and I yanked the wheel hard to the right to avoid a collision. I can't remember where the spot is in the left lane on the southbound side, but I think it might be the same spot where it has exhibited this misbehavior on multiple prior occasions with the previous firmware.

There's also still a very bad bug that I've often joked is an attempt to knock off the competition. On Charleston Road (right next to Google), if you're heading from Tesla's Mountain View supercharger and take the exit onto southbound 101 with autosteer engaged, it suddenly straightens its wheel in the middle of a curve and tries to go straight over the cross-hatched cut-through into the other exit ramp. If you don't manually take over, you'll likely end up having a head-on collision with cars exiting from southbound 101. Unfortunately, the new firmware did nothing to fix that failure either.

Basically, I'm still filing about as many bug reports about autosteer misbehavior on 17, but most of them are "Why is the car slowing down?" reports, whereas in the previous version, most of my bug reports were more on the order of "Holy s**t! It just crossed the center line into the next lane, then careened back into my lane and nearly hit the center barrier before I manually took over." I would call that a huge improvement. Now I'm only extremely cautious about its behavior on 17 instead of downright terrified. :D

I understand the need to favor the left line but on our freeways with a big ass concrete barrier wall and no shoulder it needs to know to stay away from the wall by a safe distance, especially coming into a right hand turn. It still scares me when I can't be sure it is going to turn and instead plow into the wall so I tend to pull the wheel away from it if it hasn't started executing the turn before we are getting too close to the wall. In other words, it should exhibit the same caution I would exhibit where there is a hard obstacle and possible collision instead, easing away from it as early as possible. The object here isn't to flatten the curve by flattening the car. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I understand the need to favor the left line but on our freeways with a big ass concrete barrier wall and no shoulder it needs to know to stay away from the wall by a safe distance, especially coming into a right hand turn. It still scares me when I can't be sure it is going to turn and instead plow into the wall so I tend to pull the wheel away from it if it hasn't started executing the turn before we are getting too close to the wall. In other words, it should exhibit the same caution I would exhibit where there is a hard obstacle and possible collision instead, easing away from it as early as possible. The object here isn't to flatten the curve by flattening the car. :)

I would argue that it shouldn't favor the left line or the right line, in general, unless there's an obstacle on one side or the other (e.g. a barrier, a car, or a dropoff. If such an obstacle exists, it should favor whichever side doesn't have the obstacle, and it should even be allowed to slightly cross a line if it will make the curve less sudden, but only if that line is not on a side with an obstacle and only if that line is not separating you from oncoming traffic.

And of course, if there's an obstacle on both sides, it should keep the nose (not the rear) in the center, because that will cause passengers the least terror if they're paying attention. :D

But otherwise, yes, exactly. The delayed turning on curves was downright terrifying on 17 in the previous firmware revision. The new version does a LOT better except in certain spots where it suddenly decides to stop turning and tries to hump the divider.