Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very High Electric Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was actually considering signing up for this, but I was afraid I was adding another variable to the mix. How often does it "wake up" the car to get statistics?
You can set various parameters to determine a balance of accuracy and vampire drain.

On mine above, you can see that I lost about 2 kWh or 7 miles of range that day to vampire drain. I do not know how much of that is due to TeslaFi or just standard vampire drain, but since I am a numbers geek it is worth it to me.

Bottom line, it appears that you are using about 20 kWh per day for your basic home electrical needs (it is difficult to be precise since you didn't take readings at the same time each day and you aren't sure at what rate you charged).

That fits (although it is a little higher) your prior year usage way back in your OP.

The Tesla appears to be the difference, but may have had high vampire drain since you had the API polling every minute.

Bottom line, it appears that you are using about 20 kWh per day for your basic home electrical needs (it is difficult to be precise since you didn't take readings at the same time each day and you aren't sure at what rate you charged).

That fits (although it is a little higher) your prior year usage way back in your OP.

The Tesla appears to be the difference, but may have had high vampire drain since you had the API polling every minute.

Yes, but I have since disabled the API polling and pre-heating and it's not making a difference so far on my daily usage. Time to sign up for Teslafi....

upload_2017-3-27_12-43-34.png

Here's my bill. Minneapolis EV rate.
I have a separate meter that only goes to my Car.
$4.95 per month.
3.3 cents per kWh off-peak charge. (14.17 cents on peak... which is M-F 7am to 9pm)
however there is a stupid "Fuel Cost Charge of 2.3 cents per kWh

you can see all the fees, etc.

so it ends up being $48.45 / 578 = 8.38 cents/kWh all in.

on a side note:
I drive about 1000 miles per month (I've had my car exactly 3 months, and my car has 3003 miles on it)
I ROUTINELY run at 450 to 550 W/mile in my car. (due to cold MN). it drops to 330w/mile when warm (like 55+)
I do preheat for about 5 to 7 minutes (I start it as I'm putting clothes on, then walk out door).
I do run heat at 70, and steering wheel warmer, and seat warmer.

Last edited:
Did you read what I wrote earlier about the waste heat from charging? You are wasting energy by heating the battery pack twice. You'd be much better off moving the charge start time to 3-4am.

Sorry I didn't reply, but yes, I did see that. I just am unsure if I move it back to overnight charging and I have the overnight sleep setting for Teslafi, am I losing any monitoring here?

If you can, install a real-time sensor device on your circuit breaker. I have a Neurio but other people on here are using Sense. It's great to see exactly the patterns and usage spikes (50 amps charging tesla dwarfs everything else in my house, as we have natural gas). I can also see my solar production in the same graph.
+10 for the sense device. Bought and installed one at my son home this past weekend. Excellent quality and product physical design. Plug in wires to the device and extended antenna so you can put it outside your box. Links I sent my son when I bought it. Others may like them. No affiliation, just thought the product was cool.

https://sense.com
Their promo video:
Very cool behind the details this old house video:
Install guide: https://sense.com/help/installguide.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't reply, but yes, I did see that. I just am unsure if I move it back to overnight charging and I have the overnight sleep setting for Teslafi, am I losing any monitoring here?

The scheduled charging will wake up the car, that's no problem. The way sleep works with TeslaFi is it looks for when the car is idling and has stopped doing anything (no draw on the battery). Then it will stop polling for 15 minutes to allow the car to fall asleep. (This period is where data loss will occur, as it's not polling, so if you start driving then you'll miss data on it, not the end of the world..). Then after 15 minutes it will start polling again, and if it's "asleep" as reported by the API, the polling will not wake it up (the tesla servers will not wake up the car).

In general the default settings are good for the sleep settings, you can tweak them, but don't stress too much, you can see your breakdowns between the percentage of time idling vs sleeping, it will still idle sometimes, you can't really control it, it may be downloading software updates or uploading autopilot data or whatever else it does.

I have sleep mode, nighttime sleep mode, and deep sleep mode enabled. For sleep mode my settings 15, 30, and -0.1. For deep sleep mode I have it set to 30 minutes.

Also, for sleeping to work it's important that no other app is polling the API. To be sure, you can reset your My Tesla password, that will invalidate all current tokens and force you to make a new token.
Thanks! I turned on all of the sleep mode settings with default values. I am anxious to see some data now as all signs point to my Tesla using double electricity that it should. I should have my Sense installed this weekend if I get it, but I know that can take weeks-months to discover all of my devices.

IMG_0480.jpg
Ok, so here is some teslafi stats...

Meter was 11663 before I charged and after my charge completed it was 11680 (obviously other stuff is running in house now). This is a 17kwh increase, 15kwh attributed to the charging. It was charging at 36amps the entire time.

Above are the stats from the charge. Anyone see anything unusual?

View attachment 220060 Ok, so here is some teslafi stats...

Meter was 11663 before I charged and after my charge completed it was 11680 (obviously other stuff is running in house now). This is a 17kwh increase, 15kwh attributed to the charging. It was charging at 36amps the entire time.

Looks normal. 93% efficiency charging. 7% lost to heat or whatever.

View attachment 220060 Ok, so here is some teslafi stats...

Your voltage is low for a typical 240v install. How far is your charger from your service panel?

Also, what you will want to watch via TeslaFi is the kWh lost while sleeping and idling.

While charging - Check the voltage at the main. Or at an unrelated outlet that goes to the main. Compare to voltage reported by car.

If the car is lower voltage, the drop is in your 125 ft run.

Don't even need to go that far... watch voltage when the car connects (no current flow) and watch the drop as current slowly rises.

The voltage drop after 125' of #6 wire should be <2%. I've seen much larger drops with my car without it effecting the charge rate...