Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very High Electric Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
watching the drop in the car as the current goes up would be showing the drop across the entire system - all the way back to the utility (and beyond).

Knowing the voltage at the panel could confirm the drop in the 125ft of wire matches design spec.

Btw - Nice calculator!

IMG_0481.jpg
After 4 days, I am still averaging 40 kWh per day which is way too high and on pace for 2400 kWh over 60 days. My vampire loss doesn't appear to be significant last night losing .73 kWh. So far results are inconclusive on why my electric use has doubled as I need a larger sample size.

As I mentioned last week, I still suspect the heat press uses a large amount of kWh. A Kill-a-watt would show you pretty quickly how much it is consuming. Sense could take weeks.

Max draw of something plugged in to a standard outlet is 36 KWh a day or 1MWh a month if it's on 24 x 7. So unless this is on literally all day, every day, it can't be even half of his 2,400 KWh usage.

Max draw of something plugged in to a standard outlet is 36 KWh a day or 1MWh a month if it's on 24 x 7. So unless this is on literally all day, every day, it can't be even half of his 2,400 KWh usage.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say it was the preheating and constant vampire drain from my API polling that accounted for the additional 500kwh of usage. Time will tell!

Preheating is a max of 6KWh. To hit 500 KWh you'd need to pre-heat for 83 hours, and that assumes the car was so cold out that it actually ran the heater full bore that time and didn't heat the car to your target temp. Generally if you turn on pre-heat at temps above freezing it doesn't need to run that long to get the cabin to 70F and then only needs to run now and then to maintain.

I'd venture to guess that 500KWh could keep a Tesla at 70F for about 14 days if it was 32F out.

500KWh is a LOT of energy. It's enough to take a Tesla 1,500 miles. This kind of energy doesn't just leak away in heat or vampire drain.

Yea vampire drain won't account for that. At most it's keeping your car idling 24/7 rather than sleeping. It's something in your house. When you get your sense you'll get real-time data and will be able to immediately see the effects of turning on/off circuits and appliances.

Reactions: scottf200
Just to update everyone as it's been just about a week and I am on pace for 2151 kwh for 60 days. I dont think the heat press was the culprit as my wife used it extensively yesterday and I took a mid-day reading (not listed below) and usage was normal. Driving and Charging looks good too (today's TeslaFi is an example). It appears when I don't charge my Tesla, my usage is around 21kwh per day which is very much inline with my period a year ago.

Tomorrow my Sense is getting installed for more insight into my home.

upload_2017-3-31_12-14-41.png

upload_2017-3-31_12-17-3.png

Reactions: Falkirk
You are using 36 KWH a day and haven't noticed a change in your electric bill? That's 3.5X the average electrical use of a house in the USA. I'm guessing you're not charging at home much.

Uh, you might check that number again. 36 KWh is not that much over a typical home use for one day. National average is about 32 KWh daily in USA and Canada. If I am not misunderstanding what you are saying, an average home only uses about 10 KWh a day? That might be an average for a home in the Mediterranean countries :)

Uh, you might check that number again. 36 KWh is not that much over a typical home use for one day. National average is about 32 KWh daily in USA and Canada. If I am not misunderstanding what you are saying, an average home only uses about 10 KWh a day? That might be an average for a home in the Mediterranean countries :)
Before we added two Teslas to the house, we were averaging less than 10 kWh per day in our 3500 sq. ft. home. I live in Colorado at 5900 feet so there's no need for A/C 99% of the time.

Now that we have the Teslas and some electric heating, the average is 30 to 50 kWh per day.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and FlyF4
Before we added two Teslas to the house, we were averaging less than 10 kWh per day in our 3500 sq. ft. home. I live in Colorado at 5900 feet so there's no need for A/C 99% of the time.

Now that we have the Teslas and some electric heating, the average is 30 to 50 kWh per day.
I mentioned our usage back a few pages, but here in WI last month we used 620kWh (~21 kWh/day) to charge our two Teslas and 531kWh (~18kWh/day) for the rest of our 4,000 sf home. It is winter, so we aren't using A/C or running the pool :)

Wow, that's pretty good for Colorado. And the fact that you use hardly any AC is the main reason you get away with that low of energy. I'm sure you already know that.

Wow, that's pretty good for Colorado. And the fact that you use hardly any AC is the main reason you get away with that low of energy. I'm sure you already know that.
Actually, I don't even have A/C. On those 3-4 days a year that are really hot and there's no wind, I just spend my time in the walkout basement. ;)

Many houses here don't have A/C. Evaporative coolers are very popular here and very energy efficient compared to A/C. I had one installed at my last house but really haven't felt the need to install one at the 'new' house over the past 8 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4 and Falkirk
So I've had Sense up for a few days and it's still learning my house. It hasn't learned my Tesla yet so it would show up as unknown. I woke up this morning at 5:30am and according to Sense, and I was already at 21kwh for the whole house and according to Teslafi, my car used up:

Used - 13.9 kWh

Added - 14.6 kWh

Does TeslaFi provide actual KWh used? Or is it based on estimates? It could be perhaps Sense is off too...I have a hard time believing I used up 7kwh in 5 hours with the whole house sleeping.

I have a hard time believing I used up 7kwh in 5 hours with the whole house sleeping.

That works out nicely to 12 amp draw on a 110V outlet. Assuming whatever is using the energy is running on the recommended load of 80% of circuit breaker, check for 15 amp and higher circuit breakers that may have had changes in load (maybe from the new business?) over the last few months. If possible, try turning off some of them to see if you can isolate it to a particular circuit.

fyi, I've had my Sense box installed for two months, and it has not discovered my Nissan LEAF charging or my Tesla Model S charging. The discovery capabilities of the device are the weakest part of it....
I received this response from 'Sense Customer Support' on March 27, 2017 when I asked about support for Teslas and Chevrolet Volts.
We have a dedicated Data Scientist working on electric vehicles, and you have the top 2 manufacturers he is working on! We hope to roll out the detection soon, however I do not have any official dates to share.
We look forward to hearing your feedback!

+10 for the sense device. Bought and installed one at my son home this past weekend. Excellent quality and product physical design. Plug in wires to the device and extended antenna so you can put it outside your box. Links I sent my son when I bought it. Others may like them. No affiliation, just thought the product was cool.

https://sense.com
Their promo video:
Very cool behind the details this old house video:
Install guide: https://sense.com/help/installguide.pdf

How well does it work? Did it recognize the Tesla charging? How much of total power is accounted for (recognized devices) after a few days?

Installing a second meter is cheap and easy if your Tesla outlet is running off a subpanel. I bought this remanufactured meter online for less than $40 and the box was about $30 at Lowe's, I think. I felt comfortable installing myself given that I was working with a subpanel. The Tesla outlet is the only load connected to the meter so it's an accurate reading of only the electricity the car draws.

(Note: if you want to ensure it's up to code, etc, you can buy the parts and have an electrician do it. I am aware that my installation may not be perfectly up to code, but I have no qualms about its safety. I'm limiting the car to 24 amps because the subpanel itself was wired to a 30-amp breaker in the main panel. Feel free to suggest improvements that would comply with code, if necessary, but please don't admonish me for doing it myself.)
I picked this one up for about $100 new (it's been a while, so don't remember exactly). Smaller than a utility meter, easier to read too (digital readout of KWh). You just feed the wires through it (no cutting, only a couple of screws that tap the wire, so yes, breaker must be off during installation).
TeslaPowerMeter.png