Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Charging the Regions EV network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We really need to see installs of a single CCS2/CHAdeMO unit and multiple dual-CCS2 units.
Electrify America has installed their sites like this in the States and people regularly complain about not having redundant CHAdeMO connectors. Also, in the States, the CHAdeMO connector is the only officially supported way to charge a Tesla at these sites. Obviously, that is not the case in Australia since the Teslas will be adding to the CCS2 demand.

We really need to see installs of a single CCS2/CHAdeMO unit and multiple dual-CCS2 units.
Presumably in due course the CHAdeMO plug could be replaced with a CCS2 plug pretty easily on these units, once CHAdeMO has been given its last rites.

Obviously there’s no point doing that on the units which only support charging on one plug at a time.

and people regularly complain about not having redundant CHAdeMO connectors. Also, in the States, the CHAdeMO connector is the only officially supported way to charge a Tesla at these sites.

Yep. Different in the US because Tesla's either fall into the none (if they don't have an adapter) or CHAdeMO camps it's probably more even in terms of what car uses what. Ignoring the small number with the privately imported and $$ Setec CCS1 convertor.

In Australia I'd say we are probably already at a ratio of 4:1 of cars on the road being CCS2:CHAdeMO and that stat is growing.

Evie FB confirmed active

FB_IMG_1633516902797.jpg

It could also be that when those RTM75 units don't have all the optional power supply units fitted, they are power-limited rather than current-limited, so when fitted for 50kW nominal you can reliably hit 50kW or a bit more, over a wide range of battery voltage.

Reactions: Chuq
I sure hope it's not a wrap. Still a lot of black spots in Vic.

On the power, I got a response that all recent units are 75kW but power supply issues mean some are limited to about 54kw
Well, it'd be a wrap of that specific project. A lot more councils are members of the CVGA so they could look at this one and another sub-group of councils could decide to be part of the next one!

Good result on the charge rates as well. The original proposal was mostly 25 kW units (about 80% of them). It would have been a lost opportunity if it went this way. I think mostly 50 kW which can be upgraded to 75 kW is a good result.

Reactions: moa999 and cafz
Does anyone have any further insight into when Tesla might consider putting third party chargers into the in-car navigation? Is this likely or should I be looking elsewhere for this e.g. ABRP.

I recall reading an article on Electrek probably more than 2 years ago now that had this on Tesla’s “to do” list… but they still haven’t done it. So, that means it will be “soon” in Tesla-time.

I use Plugshare with filters on to do most of my trip planning if there’s plently of fat in my travels (I have Model 3 LR), i.e. just see where the DCFCs are and eyeball it. If things look like they might get a bit squeaky-bum I use ABRP.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I recall reading an article on Electrek probably more than 2 years ago now that had this on Tesla’s “to do” list… but they still haven’t done it. So, that means it will be “soon” in Tesla-time.
It's available in certain countries in Europe, just not Australia yet. I'm not sure which other networks they include, but it would be a safe guess that there is a certain minimum standard, on number of stalls and/or charge speed - e.g. single stall 50 kW sites, like many of the ones in this grant round, probably won't meet that standard.

Side note - this new grant round is different to the Charging The Regions network, should it be split out into a separate thread? "Destination Charging Across Victoria" or "Victorian Government DCAV fast chargers"? Thoughts @moa999 @meloccom ?