Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin 0062x pickup in Tampa 12/23 at 6pm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible that you'll touch/depress the handle, and the door will pop open. Then you'll open it with the door edge. I don't know how ideal that is, but it's a possibility.

I think it's likely the X's without premium will still have motorized doors. You press the button and it will open. It won't auto open or auto close.

The Model X front door edge seems too thin for retractable handles. When closing the door electrically, it can be best to have it open at least halfway, your results may vary.

The following is based on my experience so far and hopefully Tesla Motors will be more specific. They are extremely clear in their warnings to never open both the front and Falcon Wing Doors where the front door is 20 degrees or less. While the DS mentioned the doors could hit, the Owner's Manual only warns that your hands must not be near the front door edge and could be injured if the Falcon Wing Door was to open or close if the front door is less than 20 degrees open.

The Owner's Manual viewed on the touch screen appears NOT provide exterior closing instructions as of 12/31. I have found several ways to close the front door from the outside. The important thing to remember is that these driver/passenger front doors have an electric assist to fully close the door, they do NOT need to be firmly slammed (and IMHO, should NOT be except in emergencies, hopefully Tesla will be more specific.)

The front doors can be quickly but gently pushed from the outside to the closed position from any open position, just check that the front door latches and pulls in.

To slowly close the door, move it to the closed position until it partially latches, the door will pull in and close fully. Any part of the door could be touched, but I would suggest the chrome button to keep fingers from the edge. This would be the preferred method with children or pets, as you can monitor that the door area is clear and free of obstructions.

If you prefer to let the door close electrically using one hand while the front door is in a half opened or full opened position, here are my suggestions with the driver's front door. (The goal is to push the chrome door button without moving the opened door.)

Easiest: If you are standing looking at the outside of the driver's front door while it is in a half or full open position, then with your right hand, then place all four fingers behind the thin door edge and press the center of the chrome button with your thumb without moving the door. Remove your hand away fully as the door electrically closes by itself.

Takes practice: If you are standing looking at the inside of the driver's front door, while it is in a half or full open position, then with the left hand, place your left thumb behind the thin door edge so you can press the center of the chrome button firmly with the left index finger without moving the door. Remove your hand away fully as the door electrically closes by itself. (Vary this method by looking for the chrome button edge for finger placement or feel for the chrome button with all four fingers.)

If there are wind conditions, then the above ideas might not work. Hold onto the door and move it carefully to the closed position and press the center of the chrome button and check that the door pulls in.

To repeat, while these methods make closing the front doors a luxury, do not attempt this unless the doors and your hands are away from the Falcon Wing Doors.

(And if you think my instructions are complex, just wait until you read your Owner's Manual for many additional door instructions and warnings.)

Last edited:
They are extremely clear in their warnings to never open both the front and Falcon Wing Doors where the front door is 20 degrees or less.

You are now the second owner to report front and FWD doors can't be open at the same time (albeit with a little qualification of less then 20 degrees). The first one (jmwang) claims were met derision to the point he had to post a pic with his key fob to 'prove' he really was an owner. He also got a stern talking to from Bonnie that he was wrong and should call her to learn how wrong he was. So now I am wondering, have you tested the truth to this claim or is it just based on DS advice?

You are now the second owner to report front and FWD doors can't be open at the same time (albeit with a little qualification of less then 20 degrees). The first one (jmwang) claims were met derision to the point he had to post a pic with his key fob to 'prove' he really was an owner. He also got a stern talking to from Bonnie that he was wrong and should call her to learn how wrong he was. So now I am wondering, have you tested the truth to this claim or is it just based on DS advice?
Of course they can both be open at the same time, I never said that, but in regard to your last question:

ABSOLUTELY ON THE ADVICE OF MY DS. We went over the subject carefully. However, in my reading of the Owner's Manual tonight (the only one I have is on the touchscreen) are the warnings about the 20 degree angle and how hands and fingers may get injured if the Falcon Wing Doors open.

So, that is why I put both comments into my lengthy post, because IF the DS is right, then I don't want to skip the warning. But the Owner's Manual says nothing about the doors hitting each other. My GUESS is that IMHO, someone came up with the door hitting warning during buyer training to drive the problem home about keeping the driver door more than 20 degrees open OR fully closed when moving the Falcon Wing Doors.

BTW, I don't remember the DS mentioning keeping fingers away from the OPEN front door side edges when the Falcon Wing Doors open or close. If he did, it was briefly because he stressed the doors hitting. Who knows, could someone be concerned how bad that sounds during delivery, compared with the easier door damage warning instruction that gets the job done without bringing up injury to people, but rather damage to the doors.

My conclusion: Tesla Motors has a serious communication issue by not providing everyone with the most accurate information by publishing a PDF of the most important portions of the Owner's Manual directly from their source. Having some of the Owner's Manual online is a MUST but with limitations. There are a FEW instructions that must be held in confidence between the drivers and Tesla Motors. There are security issues no owner should reveal. They should be read on the touchscreen by each owner individually after they purchase their car. To allow ALL the Owner's Manual information to be published would be a huge mistake.

Last edited:
Of course they can both be open at the same time, I never said that, but in regard to your last question:

Now I am even more confused! Forgive my density, it's probably the new years celebrations that are still ringing a bit. You previously said that your DS told you not to have the front door at <20 degrees and the FWD opening because they could hit but due to your reading of the owner's manual the real reason not to have that combo is because there is a possibility of injuring your hands? Yet you haven't physically tried to confirm your suspicion because if your DS was telling the truth you, understandable, don't want to dent your car. Am I reading your words correctly this way?

So, how does the position of the front door influence the risk of the FWD causing injury to your fingers? Is it because to keep the front doors at <20 degrees your hands must hold them in a way that hinders the trajectory of the FWD?

There are security issues no owner should reveal.

? 'should' as in 'for the greater good' or 'should' as in 'legally compelled to'? I mean, either way, it'd be a super-ineffective way of dealing with whatever the issue you are hinting at. My take is you probably didn't get a printed owner's manual because by the time it's fully edited and typeset it's already outdated due to Tesla's rapid progress. Only providing easily updated digital documentation is just the practical thing to do.

...you haven't physically tried to confirm your suspicion because if your DS was telling the truth you, understandable, don't want to dent your car. Am I reading your words correctly this way?

So, how does the position of the front door influence the risk of the FWD causing injury to your fingers? Is it because to keep the front doors at <20 degrees your hands must hold them in a way that hinders the trajectory of the FWD?

? 'should' as in 'for the greater good' or 'should' as in 'legally compelled to'?...
Yes, I don't want to dent the vehicle.

Lets say it's windy. The 20 degree front door angle allows plenty of hand space when you must hold the door by the side edge, since there are no handles. By getting rid of the handle there is no other place to hold the door in a heavy wind. Tesla wants zero injuries, so they request keeping the doors open at least 20 degrees when moving the Falcon Wing Doors.

Neither of your suggestions! It's 'for the good of the vehicle owner' and no one else. It's something that only helps the owner, but like a PIN or CVV number, shouldn't be shared.

I agree that the manual can be out of date. But it's also possible that Tesla Motors hasn't printed them for early VINs or that someone borrowed the manual from the glove box and didn't put it back in. It was the first Model X at that SC.

Lets say it's windy. The 20 degree front door angle allows plenty of hand space when you must hold the door by the side edge, since there are no handles. By getting rid of the handle there is no other place to hold the door in a heavy wind. Tesla wants zero injuries, so they request keeping the doors open at least 20 degrees when moving the Falcon Wing Doors.

Thanks for your patience in getting through to foggy me. It's all clear now. Pretty much a non issue then but I can see where all the confusion is coming from.

Yes, I don't want to dent the vehicle.

Neither of your suggestions! It's 'for the good of the vehicle owner' and no one else. It's something that only helps the owner, but like a PIN or CVV number, shouldn't be shared.

I agree that the manual can be out of date. But it's also possible that Tesla Motors hasn't printed them for early VINs or that someone borrowed the manual from the glove box and didn't put it back in. It was the first Model X at that SC.

If pinching fingers is an issue, which is to be expected since there's no handle to hold on too, I'm surprised that Tesla did not disable FwD operation when front door is open <20 Degrees.

Mark,
Thanks for all the detail you've been publishing about the doors. One point I have to take issue with: If Tesla Model X owners' security or the security of their vehicle relies on a portion of the owner's manual remaining secret, that's just NEVER going to work. That information will be exposed. I haven't seen the owners manual yet, but the emergency unlock procedures for the frunk come to mind to me. I'm sure there are others. Security by obscurity never works in the long term.

If pinching fingers is an issue, which is to be expected since there's no handle to hold on too, I'm surprised that Tesla did not disable FwD operation when front door is open <20 Degrees.

I was thinking that as well, perhaps it will come in a firmware update. Also in the event that someone pushed both door buttons (on the same side) at the same time, it could pause one briefly until the other shuts.

When opening and closing the door today, I tempted fate by safely positioning the front door close while the Falcon Wing Door raised and lowered. Since the door can be stopped mid-flight, someone can show how close it gets. It looks worse than it is at times. All was safe with perhaps only the side rubber seal of the Falcon Wing Door tapping the top of the open window of the front door as it rose up during one cycle.

In regard to the "handle" there is an area between the closed window and the door edge that is at the top with just enough room for 4 fingers. That area of the door isn't as robust as the edge near the chrome button and proceeds all the way down the length of the door. It's amazing! The surface is a comfortable plastic that anyone can grab with fingers behind the door to pull it out further once it has been released. Someone may post their baby opening it after the initial button was pressed by another person. I better not give anyone ideas. We don't need AutoPilot baby videos if they haven't been done already.

Last edited:
Some more pictures of the figured ash:
IMG_5992.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5994.JPG

Max, I've been watching your videos again tonight after getting the configuration email - thanks again! I unfortunately can't get Sig Red but will settle for my second-favorite, Titanium. I'm looking at the same black leather with black headliner interior and had been considering Obeche Matte wood until seeing what I assume is Figured Ash on your car, which is lighter, has an interesting pattern and is also matte, at least as far as I can tell.

I want to get black on black because we have five kids and the light headliner in my 2 yrs 10 most S85 is showing its age with some stains and wear marks, as are the tan seats to a lesser extent. My question to you is does your interior feel excessively dark, especially in the second and third rows? I appreciate your thoughts/impressions as I am itching to place my order as soon as possible. Thanks!