Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin 0062x pickup in Tampa 12/23 at 6pm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a guy that is 6'4", visibility is a big deal. We had loaner S for a week, and here is my view out of an X

Max, did you try to sit in the middle row seats after sitting in front (model X)? I thought the legroom in the middle row was pretty limited even when fully moved back. I am 6'1 but have long legs. Curious to see what you impression is.

The windshield is truly amazing, as are the roof windows in the Falcon Wing doors.

As a guy that is 6'4", visibility is a big deal. We had loaner S for a week, and here is my view out of an S:
View attachment 106046
Wow - first I thought "our body proportions have to be extremely different". I'm 6'4" as well and sit extremely comfortably in my Model S (both the 60 with the "original" seats as well as the P85D with next gen seats).
But then I realized this is all a matter of seat position. I'm sure I could configure my seat so that my view would be roughly like that picture. But I have no interest in doing so. In my car I have easily 4in in space above my head.

Edited to add:
Since the rest of the conversation ended up being moved to snippiness, let me just edit this post trying to make it obvious that I did not want to imply that this picture was staged with any ill intend - I was trying to say that my typical seat position is possibly a lot more reclined and that you sit more up-right than I do.

Last edited:
My feeling is that some people have longer torsos than others. My wife and I are the same height, but seated she's much shorter. I don't think dirkhh was insinuating a staged photo, either way. I don't have the height challenges of either of you (if only!) so I can't compare, but any way you look at it, the MX viewport is outstanding.

This is EXCELLENT to see, thank you very much.

I guess neither of us of us will be driving a Roadster.

Cheers,

Jon

This is 6'2" in a Roadster. And I'm as slouched as I could get. Pretty sure when I sat up straight I was looking over the windshield while driving!

59564_470791356186_6865833_n.jpg

Back to some good stuff. I picked up my car today and without mentioning it, they swapped out the rear floor mats to a set designed for a six seater.

Sorry about the flash washing out the photo:
2015-12-31 14.08.45.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have been asked for a picture of the energy screen for the X to see the rated number Wh/mi. I have attached the photo, but I am not sure how to read what the exact rated number is.

2015-12-31 13.51.09.jpg

Back to some good stuff. I picked up my car today and without mentioning it, they swapped out the rear floor mats to a set designed for a six seater.

Sorry about the flash washing out the photo:
View attachment 106086
Cool - we would likely go for the six seater and I thought the carpet looked a little odd (like an afterthought) in your earlier pictures. This is definitely an improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been asked for a picture of the energy screen for the X to see the rated number Wh/mi. I have attached the photo, but I am not sure how to read what the exact rated number is.
Layman's analysis:
Looks like it's about 5/21 of the way between 300 and 455... so 336 +/-7 Wh/mile seems to be a rough guess
(in case it's not obvious, I'm counting the polarization lines - the slight green shift in tint of the pixels)
countingLines.png

I am glad we went with the 6 seater for another reason. The X has some serious blind spot issues (IMHO). The photo below shows the rear view mirror view with the 6 seats. I fear that the 7th seat would almost fully obstruct the view (that we my perception from my limited time in Elon's car at the reveal). 7 seat owners may chime in and correct me as their experience will be better. IMHO this car begs for a rear view camera / rear view mirror combo.

2015-12-31 16.47.01.jpg

Do you use the camera while driving forward? I may have to try that.
I always have my S rear view camera image at the top of the center display. Huge help. Give it a try in your X! [emoji3]
A firmware update will give auto presenting door handles. It's just not available yet, not that it has been replaced permanently.
Thanks Bonnie, I didn't know that. So the X door handles are in fact powered by the same mechanism as used in the S, do you think? Interesting.
So I am going to, for now, assume that for future X owners who do not get the Premium Package option that is how their front doors will open, by having the handles present and then pulling on them, like the S.
I wonder if the Falcon Wing door handles will also present and then the door can be activated to open up by pulling on the handle? Or will those door handles remain as they are now, only respond to touch and not extend?

Last edited:
A firmware update will give auto presenting door handles. It's just not available yet, not that it has been replaced permanently.
I think we may be talking about 2 different things. I'll explain my understanding and feel free to correct anywhere that I am wrong. The door handles on the S auto-present too you when you walk up to the car with the fob. On the X, they do not do that (and I believe never will do that). Instead, after a firmware update, the entire door will open upon your approach to the car.

As you saying that the door handles are going to pop out like on the S (after a firmware update)?

I always have my S rear view camera image at the top of the center display. Huge help. Give it a try in your X! [emoji3] Thanks Bonnie, I didn't know that. So the X door handles are in fact powered by the same mechanism as used in the S, do you think? Interesting.
So I am going to, for now, assume that for future X owners who do not get the Premium Package option that is how their front doors will open, by having the handles present and then pulling on them, like the S.
I wonder if the Falcon Wing door handles will also present and then the door can be activated to open up by pulling on the handle? Or will those door handles remain as they are now, only respond to touch and not extend?

Bonnie is the expert as she owns an X, but from what I saw at the delivery event, the door handles will not auto present. Instead, you press the handle, there is a small click sound, and the door pops open.

with premium package the doors will auto open as you approach without pressing on the chrome piece.

The primary question is if the front door pops open as you approach, what's to keep it from dinging an object next to it

Bonnie is the expert as she owns an X, but from what I saw at the delivery event, the door handles will not auto present. Instead, you press the handle, there is a small click sound, and the door pops open.
with premium package the doors will auto open as you approach without pressing on the chrome piece.
Yes I understand how all the X doors work right now, as all those built so far (and for a few more months at least) will have the Premium Package option. My interest in speculating about this is how the X front doors will operate in those cars without the Premium Package option, meaning the front doors won't be motorized.
In those X's, will the front door handles extend like the the S handles and then you pull on them to open the door? That seems likely. If not, how will you grab onto an X front door to open it (since it won't have a motor to power it open as the currently produced X's do?).

In those X's, will the front door handles extend like the the S handles and then you pull on them to open the door? That seems likely. If not, how will you grab onto an X front door to open it (since it won't have a motor to power it open as the currently produced X's do?).

It's possible that you'll touch/depress the handle, and the door will pop open. Then you'll open it with the door edge. I don't know how ideal that is, but it's a possibility.