Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wikipedia doesn't assert that sequential numbering is required:

Similarly, neither does VIN Codes: Vehicle Identification Section:

I assume a large block of VINs from 2017 were, in fact, abandoned, but I don't have the data at my fingertips, and that may be a special case, as the VIN prefix changed.

If we keep seeing low VINs come out of the factory months later, I suppose we can then assume assume at least temporary abandonment of some regions.

I looked into the VIN assignment process/procedure/regulation extensively in my obsession with waiting to be told my VIN by Tesla (i.e. VIN assigned to car, not us people being finally told by Tesla the VIN of the Model 3 we are buying). I found a lot of the same language you and others have found. I also searched Model S and Model X forums for how the VIN process worked for those owners (who were equally obsessive about waiting for their vehicles).

From a government regulation standpoint, a large manufacturer like Tesla has to apply for VINs before the cars are manufactured. As we have seen they do so in batches and really only have to say very little about the specs of the cars they plan to manufacture with those VINs (thus the ability to identify how many Dual Motor VINs they have applied for). Most other manufacturers it seems assign a VIN to a chassis as soon as that chassis is assembled in the manufacturing process. Tesla does this too. Prior to that point, the VINs are on a list and they do not have to be manufactured in VIN order. It seems that Tesla has pre-assigned sets of VINs by configuration/color, but they do not seem to be building them in that same order (thus why we see owners being given VINs for the same colors on the same dates in totally different ranges). Tesla seems to know VIN XXXX to VIN XXXX will be White/Sport or White/Aero or Black or Blue or whatever. Then it builds those vehicles with those preassigned VINs as needed (pulling from the lists of unused VINs as needed). Yes, some vehicles could have been built, had a quality issue, been sent back to have something fixed or redone and that could be partially why an earlier VIN shows up later (this happens all the time with all manufacturers though, the key is that vehicles just need to pass all quality standards before being assigned to owners). Keep in mind that we see gaps in VINs being reported on the Google Sheet and in these forums, but our data is only a sampling of the total number of vehicles manufactured and delivered.

Model S and Model X owners got their VINs when their vehicles were about to or just hit the production line. Nearly all of those vehicles though were custom orders. The Model 3s are not custom orders. They are inventory vehicles that are built, then once ready to ship the owner is informed of their VIN for their vehicle.

...the VINs are on a list and they do not have to be manufactured in VIN order. It seems that Tesla has pre-assigned sets of VINs by configuration/color, but they do not seem to be building them in that same order (thus why we see owners being given VINs for the same colors on the same dates in totally different ranges). Tesla seems to know VIN XXXX to VIN XXXX will be White/Sport or White/Aero or Black or Blue or whatever....

This makes sense. Aside from Japanese-style Kanban production (JIT, on-demand), traditional North American production builds according to a forecast schedule. So Tesla would estimate the volume of each discreet configuration, reserve a set of VINs for that volume, and build them in batches. The priority of those builds would vary, so they could build the config they tagged with a higher set of VIN numbers prior to a config with a lower set of VINs. In other words, like Kanban, they might have a later-VIN config jump-the-line ahead of a lower VIN set if incoming demand required it.

From a government oversight standpoint, I doubt the production order of the VINs is significant, as long as the metadata (model, year, etc) is correct and there's traceability to the production lot (for recals, etc.) A manufacturer could use them as a serial number (one after the other, higher is produced later), but that's not essential.

(Jeepers - clearly us waiting-in-line people have WAY too much time on our hands to focus on these minutiae...!)

Am I the only one who has a problem with entries suddenly disappearing on the Model 3 invite spreadsheet? Eventually the whole page goes blank and I have to refresh the page.. Tried on multiple browsers. Very annoying. I'm trying to obsess over here!!!

That seems to happen occasionally.....if I give it a bit of time it resolves without a refresh and all is, once again, well with the world. I just use it as a forced break from obsession ;)

This makes sense. Aside from Japanese-style Kanban production (JIT, on-demand), traditional North American production builds according to a forecast schedule. So Tesla would estimate the volume of each discreet configuration, reserve a set of VINs for that volume, and build them in batches. The priority of those builds would vary, so they could build the config they tagged with a higher set of VIN numbers prior to a config with a lower set of VINs. In other words, like Kanban, they might have a later-VIN config jump-the-line ahead of a lower VIN set if incoming demand required it.

From a government oversight standpoint, I doubt the production order of the VINs is significant, as long as the metadata (model, year, etc) is correct and there's traceability to the production lot (for recals, etc.) A manufacturer could use them as a serial number (one after the other, higher is produced later), but that's not essential.

(Jeepers - clearly us waiting-in-line people have WAY too much time on our hands to focus on these minutiae...!)

I have learned way more than I ever needed to know about VIN regulations, procedures, protocols, norms, order in which vehicles are produced, etc. Countless hours scouring the internet and reviewing data. I also need my Model 3 to arrive soon so that I don't talk myself into any more expensive modifications, wraps, coatings, rims, etc. I may have watched a few (dozen) videos on how to paint brake calipers - something I am pretty certain I should not personally attempt to do on a near $60k vehicle (but I can't find anyone in Indy who does this).

My joyous obsessing over VIN assignments is starting to fade and turn into sad obsessing as all of the White/Sport VIN assignments this week have stayed in CA (or close to CA) and none seem to be heading East, which means my dreams of delivery before 3/31 are fading fast. Crazy how a week seems like an eternity. Like my life will somehow not be as fulfilled and the Model 3 will somehow be less exciting if I have to wait until the 1st or 2nd week of April. Oh the humanity!

Just an update from TX: So me and 3 friends were the first four in line in the Austin store. We are all non-owners, and all configured on 2/22. Two White/Aeros, one White/Sport, and one MidnightSilver/Aero.

The White/Sport guy just got his VIN last night (82xx), and ISA said that car is produced and waiting in lot to ship once payment is finalized. The other 3 of us don't have VINs yet.

• Informative
Reactions: kelly
Am I the only one who has a problem with entries suddenly disappearing on the Model 3 invite spreadsheet? Eventually the whole page goes blank and I have to refresh the page.. Tried on multiple browsers. Very annoying. I'm trying to obsess over here!!!

This is related to the performance capability of your computer. I see this if I set the power mode to best battery life. Changing the power mode to better performance eliminates the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
I've been watching white VINs like a hawk. Tesla is currently assigning VINs for sport wheels ordered as late as the 2/22. They are backed up a bit for aero and are currently assigning VINs for people who configured around 2/14.

EDIT: this is specific to white paint.

Just an update from TX: So me and 3 friends were the first four in line in the Austin store. We are all non-owners, and all configured on 2/22. Two White/Aeros, one White/Sport, and one MidnightSilver/Aero.

The White/Sport guy just got his VIN last night (82xx), and ISA said that car is produced and waiting in lot to ship once payment is finalized. The other 3 of us don't have VINs yet.

Last edited:
so they are saying they wont ship it to TX unless the balance is paid?
For Texas, this is correct. My payment had to arrive before they put it on a truck. After that, they gave me a 10 day window for the car to get delivered to the SC and then another 10 days for "prepping for delivery". From the day I was given a VIN, it took 4.5 weeks for my delivery (which is still scheduled for the 27th of March and could very possibly get moved up/back).

For Texas, this is correct. My payment had to arrive before they put it on a truck. After that, they gave me a 10 day window for the car to get delivered to the SC and then another 10 days for "prepping for delivery". From the day I was given a VIN, it took 4.5 weeks for my delivery (which is still scheduled for the 27th of March and could very possibly get moved up/back).
I highly encourage any Texas peeps to have their loans ready to go as my bank took care of the money transfer within 24 hours as I was already pre-approved and had the paperwork nearly complete by the time my VIN arrived.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nurkbonis
Tough call though... If you get pre-approved before VIN assignment, and it takes more than 30 days, then you likely need to reapply and have your credit pulled again. Some banks lock approvals for longer than 30 days, but the three I've talked to are 30 days. I am not a Texan, but am waiting to apply for a loan until I see a VIN.

I highly encourage any Texas peeps to have their loans ready to go as my bank took care of the money transfer within 24 hours as I was already pre-approved and had the paperwork nearly complete by the time my VIN arrived.

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
Tough call though... If you get pre-approved before VIN assignment, and it takes more than 30 days, then you likely need to reapply and have your credit pulled again. Some banks lock approvals for longer than 30 days, but the three I've talked to are 30 days. I am not a Texan, but am waiting to apply for a loan until I see a VIN.
Agreed. I used Alliant and they gave me a 45 day window. My rep said he could extend it to 60 days if needed. Luckily it only took 2 weeks for my VIN to get assigned.

I agree with this, I have only 7 days left until my loan expires, still no VIN. Tick Tock

VIN reports seem to have slowed today compared to all the reports yesterday according to the tracker. I worry I missed the white/aero run that was produced, but will remain optimistic that it will pop up this week.
do we know about how long the full cycle is? If we missed this batch wondering how long until they get back to making white cars. Was hoping to schedule my delivery on my birthday (28th) not looking good unless I get a VIN this week or very early next week.