Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got VIN 113xx around 9am, today. San Diego. White, sport. Configured 3/1.

Congrats! That's one of the highest VINs and latest order dates I've seen. Hopefully your delivery comes soon!

Has anyone spoken to Tesla before receiving a VIN and gotten any kind of reasonable/helpful answer as to why certain configurations and/or deliveries to certain areas are taking significantly longer than others, or some kind of update as to when that will change?

Plenty of people with mid-February configurations, even on the West Coast, still waiting for VINs, while red/white cars and cars with sport wheels seem to be flying out the door. Debating giving them a call to ask what gives and if the 3-6 week window should be thrown out completely.

Reactions: LV Acrobat
Congrats! That's one of the highest VINs and latest order dates I've seen. Hopefully your delivery comes soon!

Has anyone spoken to Tesla before receiving a VIN and gotten any kind of reasonable/helpful answer as to why certain configurations and/or deliveries to certain areas are taking significantly longer than others, or some kind of update as to when that will change?

Plenty of people with mid-February configurations, even on the West Coast, still waiting for VINs, while red/white cars and cars with sport wheels seem to be flying out the door. Debating giving them a call to ask what gives and if the 3-6 week window should be thrown out completely.

I’m one of them! Configured 2/22 in AZ white with sport rims. Nothing yet and I’m waiting real patiently!

I wonder if your pre-selected payment method affects how much notice they give you between VIN and delivery date, i.e. since I chose "cash," are they taking their time giving me my VIN because they expect they'll be able to schedule my LA delivery only a couple days later?

Somehow, my gut is still telling me I'll see my 2/22 black/aero/fsd config delivered before the end of the month, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how at this point.

I wonder if your pre-selected payment method affects how much notice they give you between VIN and delivery date, i.e. since I chose "cash," are they taking their time giving me my VIN because they expect they'll be able to schedule my LA delivery only a couple days later?

Somehow, my gut is still telling me I'll see my 2/22 black/aero/fsd config delivered before the end of the month, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how at this point.

i'm also paying in cash. Hope you get yours too before end of Q1.

Is there any significance if you miss end of Q1 in CA?
No. People are theorizing that they are trying to ship a lot out before the end of quarter and if that's the case they may slow down again after the end of the quarter, meaning a longer wait. There's an additional theory that they will be giving preference to CA until the end of the quarter because it allows more rapid delivery.

No. People are theorizing that they are trying to ship a lot out before the end of quarter and if that's the case they may slow down again after the end of the quarter, meaning a longer wait. There's an additional theory that they will be giving preference to CA until the end of the quarter because it allows more rapid delivery.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I suspected. I'm in the Apr-Jun group, and certainly hope Tesla continues a steady delivery pace in CA, so I can replace my 14 year old Prius soon.

There is another theory that Tesla may try to shift some Q2 deliveries to Canada (the other CA) in order to duck under 200K US EV sales until Q3. This could mean few cars for US including California in Q2.

I selected cash but now will finance. I called to tell them and they said my owner advisor would call me and enable me to edit as that is the only person who can make changes. Still no call. I think they know early enough that financing won't be a big deal. BUT it could happen on the last day or two of the month as they try to get the sales recorded. The bigger issue is that there have been almost zero black that I can tell since I ordered mine. I hope there is another large production run before the end of March otherwise if they produce the first week of April they will send those back East due to delivery time and we will be waiting for another month.

I’m one of them! Configured 2/22 in AZ white with sport rims. Nothing yet and I’m waiting real patiently!
Well I configured 2/14 with white Aero and still no VIN. Already missed the 4 week window. Calling Tesla does nothing. They have no info and will not give any indication of when the VIN will be assigned. They certainly have my $3500 in hand. Tesla has a major habit of over promising and under delivering.

Reactions: LV Acrobat
Sorry to see it, but my guess is you being in Maryland is the issue. Hopefully once March deliveries are tapped out, you'll be one of the first.

Well I configured 2/14 with white Aero and still no VIN. Already missed the 4 week window. Calling Tesla does nothing. They have no info and will not give any indication of when the VIN will be assigned. They certainly have my $3500 in hand. Tesla has a major habit of over promising and under delivering.

New poster, so forgive me if I take a while catching up. Stood in line like many others almost two years ago on 3/31, did the order and delivery profile stuff on 2/22, and now awaiting VIN. I ordered red / aero wheels.

I have seen the San Diego service center over the weekend and it was jammed with Teslas (MS, MX); some new, others with plates, but only one dark gray M3 with Aero wheels. i can see why they opened up the other location down the road, but it looked empty (it was a Sunday). Looks like it's still in setup; the Tesla site lists it but no phone number(s) yet. Anybody heard otherwise?

pretty quick turn around, did you finance through tesla?

No. I used a credit union. I had cash selected, but she was able to change it easily and it was my impression that had no impact on VIN assignment or delivery.

Congrats! When did you configure?

I configured 2/22. VIN 3/16. My car was already done when the ISA called 3/17, but it has to wait for a truck to fill up and come down to SD. 3/22 scheduled delivery with a slim chance it will be ready Wednesday. These days are craaaaaaawling along

New poster, so forgive me if I take a while catching up. Stood in line like many others almost two years ago on 3/31, did the order and delivery profile stuff on 2/22, and now awaiting VIN. I ordered red / aero wheels.

I have seen the San Diego service center over the weekend and it was jammed with Teslas (MS, MX); some new, others with plates, but only one dark gray M3 with Aero wheels. i can see why they opened up the other location down the road, but it looked empty (it was a Sunday). Looks like it's still in setup; the Tesla site lists it but no phone number(s) yet. Anybody heard otherwise?

A few people reported here and at M3OC that they are scheduled to take delivery at the new location this week.

I just drove past it this evening, there is some activity, though nowhere near what you'd expect given the number of invites they apparently sent to San Diego day 1 line waiters. Even though everyone keeps saying that Tesla wants to cram the deliveries into Q1, any way I look at it, it does not look likely that they'd manage to serve even half of the 2/22 batch by March 31:

* The number of orders from San Diego can't be much less than a thousand. (There were easily more than a thousand line waiters in the city. San Diego was around 20% of all invites on 2/22; since 2/22, they made at least 4000 cars and there are still lots of VINless people in that batch.)
* They'd need to average 80 cars per day for the rest of the month to hit that target. They don't even have room to fit 80 additional cars at once between the old center and the new center.
* And they'd have to receive and unload 10 trucks per day, 8 model 3's per truck. It would basically have to be non-stop trucks coming and going. I've yet to see even one car carrier truck at either location.
* They've been giving priority to people ordering 19" sport wheels (less than a third of all orders.) Many 2/22 San Diego 18" orders still have no VINs. Even among those who ordered 18" wheels and got their VINs, there's been only one report of a scheduled delivery, set for 3/28.

Last edited: