Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered LR RWD all black on 10/15 and just got my VIN (123) and a delivery date of 11/24.

I am in Ohio and was expecting this much later due to my location and my build basically being eliminated. Drove by the delivery center on my way home from work and it was loaded front to back with 3's. Can't wait to get mine!

I am wondering the same thing. P3d+. was p3d- with a 94xxx Vin for delivery 11/3 but I said I wanted a p3d+ instead. Today I just got assigned a vin 83xxx and was also thinking it was kind of a low Vin. I'm also hoping for an October build date

I have the same concerns. My first P3D which was produced in August and delivered in September has a 106k vin. My second P3D has a 78k vin and will be delivered on Friday. I hope I don't have an old build date.

I am taking delivery of a Performance Model 3 this Saturday and was just assigned VIN 5YJ3E1EB0JF0752xx. Oddly, this VIN is within 400 of my friend's VIN who took delivery 5 weeks ago on the same coast (East coast). I ordered mine a week after he did, but could not take the first car available in early October because I was heading out for a 2 week vacation, so they gave my car away to someone else. They called two weeks later and said there were no red Model 3 in the country, and mine would have to be built. I was relieved mine was being built much later, since my friend was having MANY issues with his car, but am now concerned that our two cars were built possibly within the same day. I called Tesla delivery team, and they were ZERO help, and could not give me any history about the car and when it was built (she sarcastically said it was built in 2018, which irked me, but I was nice and kept my cool).

What range of VINs are we seeing lately, and was my car built back in September despite Tesla informing me in mid October that it still needed to be built?

Thank you.
Tesla does not build all of the time in sequential order so there is every chance that your car was built later (or earlier) than one with a similar VIN. The only way to know for sure is to look at the label inside the door frame or at the sticker. My IDA was able to send me a copy of the sticker the day I got my VIN assigned, maybe yours can do the same.

Question about VIN. I ordered MR on 11/4.

I have all details finalized on my delivery page except insurance, which says Model 3 must be listed on my insurance.

I cannot get Model 3 on my insurance until I have a VIN.

But it seems like the lack of proof of insurance is holding up my submission of details to Tesla (and maybe holding up getting a VIN?).

This is a catch-22!

Should I just wait to submit all details until I have a VIN, or should I submit my current insurance card to give them my policy number so I'm not holding anything up?

Thanks

Question about VIN. I ordered MR on 11/4.

I have all details finalized on my delivery page except insurance, which says Model 3 must be listed on my insurance.

I cannot get Model 3 on my insurance until I have a VIN.

But it seems like the lack of proof of insurance is holding up my submission of details to Tesla (and maybe holding up getting a VIN?).

This is a catch-22!

Should I just wait to submit all details until I have a VIN, or should I submit my current insurance card to give them my policy number so I'm not holding anything up?

Thanks

Submit your current card if you are just going to add the 3 to your current policy. That will suffice until you go to pick up the car and by that time you will have been able to add your VIN to your policy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carl_P
Just submit your current insurance card. Tesla is OK with that.

The day before delivery I called the insurance company and let them know I was getting the new car the next day and it was all good.

• Helpful
Just submit your current insurance card. Tesla is OK with that.

The day before delivery I called the insurance company and let them know I was getting the new car the next day and it was all good.

All very helpful, thanks! I submitted with current insurance, and it has now removed the edit button from my account screen. I don't know if it means anything, but I feel better having all boxes checked!

Reactions: KJD
All very helpful, thanks! I submitted with current insurance, and it has now removed the edit button from my account screen. I don't know if it means anything, but I feel better having all boxes checked!

It doesn't make any difference to the whether or not you get a VIN, if you have a box or two checked. Many people have had that exact situation, and gotten VINs. But glad you feel better.

I am taking delivery of a Performance Model 3 this Saturday and was just assigned VIN 5YJ3E1EB0JF0752xx. Oddly, this VIN is within 400 of my friend's VIN who took delivery 5 weeks ago on the same coast (East coast). I ordered mine a week after he did, but could not take the first car available in early October because I was heading out for a 2 week vacation, so they gave my car away to someone else. They called two weeks later and said there were no red Model 3 in the country, and mine would have to be built. I was relieved mine was being built much later, since my friend was having MANY issues with his car, but am now concerned that our two cars were built possibly within the same day. I called Tesla delivery team, and they were ZERO help, and could not give me any history about the car and when it was built (she sarcastically said it was built in 2018, which irked me, but I was nice and kept my cool).

What range of VINs are we seeing lately, and was my car built back in September despite Tesla informing me in mid October that it still needed to be built?

Thank you.

I have the P3D- with VIN 0719XX. Not sure when mine was built, but mine did have 2/3rds coverage of the rainbow roof. More recent cars only have 1/3rd coverage so personally I would prefer an earlier VIN just for the nice rainbow roof.

No reservation, order placed: 10-26 added EAP: 11-8 GOT MY VIN TODAY: 5YJ3E1EB9JF122xxx
Tesla said vehicle ready to ship to Honolulu delivery to MAUI. It looks like i will get the $7500 Tax credit!
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Pearl White Paint
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior
  • Enhanced Autopilot

• Love
Reactions: GaryC and wEagle99