TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VIN for insurance purposes

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bikeandsail, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

When do folks get the full VIN number so that it can be provided to the insurance company for getting a quote? Anytime prior to delivery?

2. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

It's in the source code for the page. Alternately, you can call or email your DS to get it.
    Mine is an expected end of March delivery and my DS sent me the VIN and asked me to look at financing options earlier this week.

3. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

#3 Darryl, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    You can determine what your VIN as there are VIN decoders. They have been posted on this forum. All you need is the last 5 digits. If you search for "2016 Tesla Model X VIN decoder" on the Internet. These VIN decoder will also determine the check digit.

Here is what each part of the VIN means:

Dropbox - ORG11230.pdf

My VIN for my 2016 Model X P90DL is: 5YJXCBE4?GF000??? The first ? Is the check digit, the last three digits is the last three digits of my VIN.

My insurance company did not recognize the VIN until my service center registered the car with the state (Florida in my case) DMV which took about three days.

4. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Darryl, thanks for the info. You answered my question that there is no reason to give the insurance company the VIN early since they will not "recognize" it.

5. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

My SC now says it will be a 3-4 Week wait to get car registered. I had assumed in today's world this would all be electronic it but I guess not, it must be a manual process. This is at a time when Tesla was only registering 50 cars a week. What happens at the end of the month and they have several thousand cars to register?

6. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

As of this evening MyTesla page is now showing the full VIN. This morning it was just #04888

7. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Mine too. I guess they realized people needed the full VIN for insurance and financing and made a website change.

8. FA1820

FA1820 Member

I also can see the full VIN number as of today.

9. Norge

Norge Member

As to the insurance, based on my full VIN number, GEICO quoted me an insurance cost of just under $650 per half year.

10. X Fan

X Fan Member

About same from Ace....

11. dutchinchicago

GEICO recognized my VIN. I have had my vin for almost two weeks now but none of the insurance companies recognized the VIN. I am looking at an late april/may delivery window.

12. pvogel

pvogel Member

USAA recognized my VIN back in January the first time I got an estimate.