Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN for insurance purposes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can determine what your VIN as there are VIN decoders. They have been posted on this forum. All you need is the last 5 digits. If you search for "2016 Tesla Model X VIN decoder" on the Internet. These VIN decoder will also determine the check digit.

Here is what each part of the VIN means:

Dropbox - ORG11230.pdf

My VIN for my 2016 Model X P90DL is: 5YJXCBE4?GF000??? The first ? Is the check digit, the last three digits is the last three digits of my VIN.

My insurance company did not recognize the VIN until my service center registered the car with the state (Florida in my case) DMV which took about three days.

Last edited:
You can determine what your VIN as there are VIN decoders. They have been posted on this forum. All you need is the last 5 digits. If you search for "2016 Tesla Model X VIN decoder" on the Internet. These VIN decoder will also determine the check digit.

Here is what each part of the VIN means:

Dropbox - ORG11230.pdf

My VIN for my 2016 Model X P90DL is: 5YJXCBE4?GF000??? The first ? Is the check digit, the last three digits is the last three digits of my VIN.

My insurance company did not recognize the VIN until my service center registered the car with the state (Florida in my case) DMV which took about three days.

Darryl, thanks for the info. You answered my question that there is no reason to give the insurance company the VIN early since they will not "recognize" it.

Darryl, thanks for the info. You answered my question that there is no reason to give the insurance company the VIN early since they will not "recognize" it.
My SC now says it will be a 3-4 Week wait to get car registered. I had assumed in today's world this would all be electronic it but I guess not, it must be a manual process. This is at a time when Tesla was only registering 50 cars a week. What happens at the end of the month and they have several thousand cars to register?