Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN for Teslas encode "model year" or "year of manufacture"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S on order, which has been confirmed and VIN assigned. The order was placed in Dec 2016 and is currently scheduled to be delivered Jan/Feb 2017.

The VIN has a "G" in the 10th position. "G" means 2016, but my SA tells me that his records show that the car is a 2017 model year vehicle. So, I would have expected to see an "H" (for 2017) in the VIN.

Buuuut.... the following wiki claims that, for the 10th position of the VIN for vehicles manufactured in North America, "the year code can be the calendar year in which a vehicle is built, or a model or type year allocated by the manufacturer":

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN codes)/Model year - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

So, what does Tesla use the 10th digit for, 1) the year of manufacture or 2) the model year?

Based on what I've been told about my car, Tesla must encode VINs with the year of manufacture. (Which would also seem to imply that my Model S will be built before December is over!)

I don't know what your SA is talking about. Tesla doesn't use model years.

The year encoded in the VIN is pretty much the year in which the VIN is assigned. That may not be the year of manufacture when near the end of the year. (Existential question - when is your Tesla born? When the VIN is assigned.)

"The year encoded in the VIN is pretty much the year in which the VIN is assigned."

As you stating this for Tesla VINs specifically, or all VINs?

Even if my Model S were actually to be built sometime in Jan 2017, would you expect that it might still end up with a VIN that encodes 2016?

As you stating this for Tesla VINs specifically, or all VINs?

Tesla VINs. Each manufacturer determines how they do it. Most use model years, so cars with 2017 VINs are already rolling off the line and being delivered to customers. Not so with Tesla.

Even if my Model S were actually to be built sometime in Jan 2017, would you expect that it might still end up with a VIN that encodes 2016?

Yes.

I also have a December order with delivery late Jan or Feb. Started off with a 16 VIN which just changed on My Tesla to a 17 VIN. Only thing changed was the 10th character to an H and the ninth character to a 9.

• Informative
Reactions: democappy
wattsup, if I were you, I would not sweat it. I ordered on 12/10 for late Feb delivery. MyVIN was assigned on 12/20 and had a G. Then two days later it changed to a H. The rest of the VIN was unchanged. Have you looked under your My Tesla dashboard at the VIN lately?

It might not change if its is built in '16, regardless of when its delivered to you. When did the car complete production build?

U.K. Cars often take a while before being built due to being right hand drive and a load of owners saw their year change in the vin while waiting pre production just before Christmas. That suggests it's purely the year in which they were manufacturered and are only locked when they enter production.

I think it's important to know the date the car was built. Otherwise, information about features is all messed up.
For example, Tesla Technical Bulletin BR-16-00-003 R3 April 19, 2018 states:
Model S and Model X built after August 1, 2017 have upgraded components, which enable 2.5 generation Autopilot:
Don't you want to know that? SA's are not always the best informed.
Check out:
https://service.teslamotors.com/sit...librating_the_Driver_Assistance_System_R3.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike