TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

VIN for Teslas encode "model year" or "year of manufacture"?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wattsup, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wattsup

wattsup Member

I have a Model S on order, which has been confirmed and VIN assigned. The order was placed in Dec 2016 and is currently scheduled to be delivered Jan/Feb 2017.

The VIN has a "G" in the 10th position. "G" means 2016, but my SA tells me that his records show that the car is a 2017 model year vehicle. So, I would have expected to see an "H" (for 2017) in the VIN.

Buuuut.... the following wiki claims that, for the 10th position of the VIN for vehicles manufactured in North America, "the year code can be the calendar year in which a vehicle is built, or a model or type year allocated by the manufacturer":

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN codes)/Model year - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

So, what does Tesla use the 10th digit for, 1) the year of manufacture or 2) the model year?

Based on what I've been told about my car, Tesla must encode VINs with the year of manufacture. (Which would also seem to imply that my Model S will be built before December is over!)

2. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

I don't know what your SA is talking about. Tesla doesn't use model years.

The year encoded in the VIN is pretty much the year in which the VIN is assigned. That may not be the year of manufacture when near the end of the year. (Existential question - when is your Tesla born? When the VIN is assigned.)

3. wattsup

wattsup Member

"The year encoded in the VIN is pretty much the year in which the VIN is assigned."

As you stating this for Tesla VINs specifically, or all VINs?

Even if my Model S were actually to be built sometime in Jan 2017, would you expect that it might still end up with a VIN that encodes 2016?

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Tesla VINs. Each manufacturer determines how they do it. Most use model years, so cars with 2017 VINs are already rolling off the line and being delivered to customers. Not so with Tesla.

Yes.

5. ev-now

ev-now Member

I have a 2015 which was ex-factory 1/28/15, it has a 2015 VIN - I think it's just when the VIN is assigned in the build process ... but no definitive info on it.

6. swgdan

swgdan Member

I also have a December order with delivery late Jan or Feb. Started off with a 16 VIN which just changed on My Tesla to a 17 VIN. Only thing changed was the 10th character to an H and the ninth character to a 9.

• Informative x 1
  7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

wattsup, if I were you, I would not sweat it. I ordered on 12/10 for late Feb delivery. MyVIN was assigned on 12/20 and had a G. Then two days later it changed to a H. The rest of the VIN was unchanged. Have you looked under your My Tesla dashboard at the VIN lately?

It might not change if its is built in '16, regardless of when its delivered to you. When did the car complete production build?

8. JonG

JonG Member

U.K. Cars often take a while before being built due to being right hand drive and a load of owners saw their year change in the vin while waiting pre production just before Christmas. That suggests it's purely the year in which they were manufacturered and are only locked when they enter production.

9. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Related, the 10th digit is the year and the 9th digit, which will also change if the year changes, is a check digit that is based on the rest of the VIN, but doesn't signify anything.

10. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

I believe Tesla's 10th digit is year produced. Yours will be produced in 2017, your VIN will change to have an "H" in it

11. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

My P100D was delivered on 28 Dec 2016 and has a 2017 code.

12. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Interesting. I guess that explains what they can do if they choose to. Congrats to you bishoppeak

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Some people are too focused on Model years because of the history of legacy manufacturers making their changes once a year in the fall. Its something you need to get over when you switch to Tesla.

• Like x 2
  14. wattsup

wattsup Member

Yup, my 2016 VIN changed to a 2017 VIN a few days ago.

15. UThomas

UThomas Member

I have a p85+ with autopilot that has a 2014 vin and a mid 2015 build date.

16. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Huh ? 10th is E and built when?

17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

E = 2014 :cool: