Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN shows Model S 90D as 70 KwH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easier to look at the current rated range and then just divide by the percentage. If you're at 200 miles of range remaining with 80% SoC, 200 / .8 = 250 miles.
Using Rated Range to calculate anything assumes that Rated Range is correct. You and I have both observed that Rated Range does not correlate with reality. Garbage in, garbage out.
The only values that seem reliable are SOC, miles driven, (and maybe kWh used). By reliable I mean consistent and correlate to known values.

Congratulations. You will love it.
My insurance company data also showed my car as a "70". (It is a 2016 90D)
Just curious: What does your cars full charge range display? Also, it will take you a while to get this, but let me know what is your cars real full charge range? The easy way to determine this, if you care, is to set your battery display to State of Charge rather than range. Then when you take a trip, you can divide the miles driven by the change in SOC. For example if you drive 120 miles and your battery goes from 80% to 30%, that is 50% of your battery. 120 miles divided by 0.5, which is 240 miles for full charge range.

I'll try to get this info for you. Still learning the car. We'll try to get to a supercharger soon and top off the charge and see what it says. And will get the real full charge range also.

Using Rated Range to calculate anything assumes that Rated Range is correct. You and I have both observed that Rated Range does not correlate with reality. Garbage in, garbage out.
The only values that seem reliable are SOC, miles driven, (and maybe kWh used). By reliable I mean consistent and correlate to known values.

At 100% full, it shows a range of 263 miles. I haven't calculated after driving yet.

At 100% full, it shows a range of 263 miles. I haven't calculated after driving yet.
Thanks. I'll be interested in what sort of real range you experience.
As for display of full charge range: When I was shopping for Teslas in mid 2016, the pre-refresh 90D's in the showroom displayed a full charge range of 280-285 miles. When I took possession of my 6 months old dealer demo 90D with 7,500 miles on it, the displayed full charge range was 280-285 miles. But right away I noticed that my real life range was about 200 miles when driving using 350 wh/mile. Using the trip computer, and the battery percent display I made some observations. Particularly the part that shows kwh used since last charge. I noticed that if I did some driving which took the battery from 80% down to 30%, (half of the battery capacity) that my distance was 100 miles and the energy used was 36 kwh. I made numerous similar measurements with a great variety of battery charge states. The available total battery capacity was always 72-73 kwh. The (extrapolated) full charge range varied a little depending on driving style. But was mostly about 200 miles. I did one very long test drive (100% to about 10%) keeping energy consumption to a minimum. I got a full charge range of 220 miles. And a total battery capacity of 74 kwh.

While nobody cares much about the deficiencies of one Tesla, it should be of interest to all owners to note that the cars display of full charge range may have no basis in reality. And more importantly may give a false impression of minimal battery degradation even when there has been significant battery degradation.

• Helpful
Reactions: TeamC