Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs from GIGA Texas Tracking. Who will be first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the 10th and 11th digits of the VIN?
If the 10th digit is M, then it is a 2021 model. If it is an N, then it is a 2022 model. I'm guessing it is an N since they've probably delivered most 2021 vehicles by now.
If the 11th digit is F, then it was built in Fremont. If it is A, then it was built in Austin. I'm guessing it is an F as it was probably built in Fremont.
Yes, NF

I had a 2 week EDD of 1/5-1/19 that slipped to a 4 week EDD of 1/15-2/12 a couple days ago while everyone else (not east coast from what I saw) seemed to move forward and have dates tighten. Might just be a color/spec issue, but I’ve been wondering if it’s because we were changed to Austin. Mixed feelings about it - could be great if they have good QC coming out the gate….
I’m NY too.
OD:11/3/21 EDD:1/23-2/20
My EDD jumped to 2/5-3/5 a few weeks ago but went back to 1/23-2/20 a few days later. Order is MYP red/black/no tow/no FSD.

Quiet in Texas today. Don’t see any tweets or videos or anything. Also haven’t seen Tesla making a big deal out of anything imminent or big delivery events or anything like they did in Shanghai. Sure they can’t do deliveries in Texas but if they were going to be rolling shipping cars out the back door this week or next they’d have some announcement.

I still think the rumor was just a rumor and we are jumping the gun on Austin by at least a few weeks.

Curio
Quiet in Texas today. Don’t see any tweets or videos or anything. Also haven’t seen Tesla making a big deal out of anything imminent or big delivery events or anything like they did in Shanghai. Sure they can’t do deliveries in Texas but if they were going to be rolling shipping cars out the back door this week or next they’d have some announcement.

I still think the rumor was just a rumor and we are jumping the gun on Austin by at least a few weeks.
Has Tesla delivered cars in the beginning of quarter before? I thought they manufacture most of the domestic deliveries towards the end of each quarter. I best our EDDs will change very soon to Feb or March.

Curio

Has Tesla delivered cars in the beginning of quarter before? I thought they manufacture most of the domestic deliveries towards the end of each quarter. I best our EDDs will change very soon to Feb or March.
Yes Tesla delivers cars at the beginning of quarter. There is typically a bit of logistical delay of a week or two as they begin shipping to east coast again after end of quarter staying close to Cali.

Curio

You can also check the google sheet in this thread to see that cars are getting delivered early in the quarter.

As building professional, the factory is far from finished, at least 2 months to go.
But that won't prevent Tesla to start limited prodcution but the quality will be quesntionable since everything is in rush.
Since safety and performace testing are required so these production might be spotted very soon but only for testing only.

I think real mass production for customers won't happen until March.
You cannot see inside. All of the production videos show finished cars leaving the site for testing. The portion of the factory making the Model Y is only less than 1/3 of the Gigafactory and they have already announced that they will start production at the same time they are continuing to construct the remainder of the building. They applied for operational permits from the State for Texas with a production start date of Dec 31, 2021.

Reactions: Steve S
Well, as rumor has it, MYs should start to be built today in Austin. So I am starting this thread to see when people get their Austin VIN. It should look like 5YJYA1E62NA352XXX with an A in the 11th slot.

Also, let us know if you also get a AMD chip, 12v battery, Duel Glaze Rear Window or anything else new. And congrats on getting your car.

I am hoping for my MYLR from Austin, just over 2 more months so fingers crossed.
My East Coast MYP EDD is in February. I get the sense that if the 4680 production is limited they may start it in the Model Y Performance (more expensive model).
We will see. COVID HORSE Race. Who knows? I will let you know as soon as I get my VIN.

I live in Austin and am set for delivery of a long range model y between the 9th and the 23rd. I would be surprised if bother shipping model ys from ca to Austin, so I am I hoping I get one of the first few hundred off the line. Will keep everyone updated.
Same I have an EDD of Jan 14th - Feb 10th. I live in Southwest Austin and would love to get one of these made in Texas models! I am just hoping I do not get matched to a reject from Q4 EOQ push. I think my config is unique so hoping not.

I live in Austin and am set for delivery of a long range model y between the 9th and the 23rd. I would be surprised if bother shipping model ys from ca to Austin, so I am I hoping I get one of the first few hundred off the line. Will keep everyone updated.

I think Tesla would need to ship it out of the state, then sell and complete the transaction while it is out of state, and then ship it back.

That seems like a logistical nightmare so unfortunately Texas is probably the only state that is guaranteed not to get Texas made Model Ys.

Last edited:
I think Tesla would need to ship it out of the state, then sell and complete the transaction while it is out of state, and then ship it back.

That seems like a logistical nightmare so unfortunately Texas is probably the only state that is guaranteed not to get Texas made Model Ys.

Elon missed the chance to get this changed before agreeing to open the factory there. That was pretty dumb on his part.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
Elon was promised that Texas legislation will change this law before he started to build the factory. They just "didn't have enough time" to do it during last session.
A "promise" from a Texas legislator. "Didn't have enough time." Bull pucky. They have been heavily lobbied by the Texas Automobile Dealers Association (TADA) and the Texas Independent Automobile Dealers Association (TIDA) Automobile. Perhaps all vehicles purchased by Texans will come from Fremont for a while. Or Musk could "Mess with Texas", like he did with New Mexico and build a Tesla store on Federal land (an Indian Reservation) and sell there.

I really don't think Musk will mess around with shipping cars out of state to sell them and bring them back. Cars from Fremont or the Indian Reservation is my guess, probably starting with Fremont.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE