Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there any interest in a desktop app for Tesla? Isn't ppl nowadays just using mobile apps?
I prefer something that I can run on a desktop or server that can do scheduling and management.

I have VT running 24x7 that does email notifications of charge events, manages daily/weekly charge settings and scheduling, geofencing alerts, etc...

I'd be happy to have something Windows native so I don't have to run a JVM that consumes 350-500MB just for this application...

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
500MB is like $3 worth of RAM ... it's not 2003 anymore folks. Java works on Linux, which is what I have VisibleTesla running on ...

I'm not particularly in to bloat. If we took that attitude toward every piece of code we'd need 1/2TB machines.

The functionality the app implements could easily be 30-50MB or less. Consuming 10X that for the privilege of running it in a JVM doesn't interest me... not to mention the security and compatibility nightmare that have been Sun's JVM implementations.

But thanks for your opinion.

JVM security is every bit as good as OS security, my Linux system keeps both updated without any intervention from me.

Bloat is just another way of saying you'd prefer the code written in assembler because it would be 4% more efficient, or use 30KB of disk space out of 200GB or ... you get it, your view of bloat is old school and makes no sense in a world where agile rapid prototypes are written on top of frameworks instead of roll your own code ... it's 2017.

I prefer something that I can run on a desktop or server that can do scheduling and management.

I have VT running 24x7 that does email notifications of charge events, manages daily/weekly charge settings and scheduling, geofencing alerts, etc...

I'd be happy to have something Windows native so I don't have to run a JVM that consumes 350-500MB just for this application...
I see your point.

What kind of notifications are you interested in?

Let's say there is a mobile app to set them up, but they are running on a server.

JVM security is every bit as good as OS security, my Linux system keeps both updated without any intervention from me.

Bloat is just another way of saying you'd prefer the code written in assembler because it would be 4% more efficient, or use 30KB of disk space out of 200GB or ... you get it, your view of bloat is old school and makes no sense in a world where agile rapid prototypes are written on top of frameworks instead of roll your own code ... it's 2017.

I'll go back and tell my folks in an org of 30K machines that the security patching and incompatible version issues they've had to mitigate is a figment of their imagination then. lol

And frameworks != VM's, but this discussion has already gotten off-kilter.

I hope this is the correct place to ask. I just tried running Visible Tesla for the first time and it comes up all scrunched on my display which is 4k.
Capture.JPG

I typed in my Tesla Login and Password and it tells me it fails, I tried many times and I know it is correct.
Capture2.JPG

Any ideas how I fix this?

There's a font scaling section in the Advanced section in the Prefs tab... .maybe that?

Also, VT uses a specific JAVA version that's bundled with it. Are you launching from "vtrunner.bat" file handles this?

I am having the same problem with a 4K display. Font scaling in Advanced doesn't seem to have any effect. And it only goes does to 70%. Where is this variable kept? I couldn't see any prefs file; I thought I could try editing there. No luck.

I am having the same problem with a 4K display. Font scaling in Advanced doesn't seem to have any effect. And it only goes does to 70%. Where is this variable kept? I couldn't see any prefs file; I thought I could try editing there. No luck.
On the Mac Java version font scaling goes to 100% and it looks OK on a 5K display. Also, selecting Advanced->Prefs->Other->Show App Files will display some of the files the app uses - maybe there is a file there that contains the preferences.

Nice. So I managed to install the latest version for windows 0.28.01 (?) but when I try to login I have no luck.
Tried my MyTesla details but in the Documentation it mentions something about using the same details as of the iPhone or Android app (which - if it's related to a VT app I have not tried. If it's related to the Tesla app, then it's the same one I am trying unsuccessfully).

If any of you know how to move over this next hurdle, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks all for the replies.

500MB is like $3 worth of RAM ... it's not 2003 anymore folks. Java works on Linux, which is what I have VisibleTesla running on ...
Back when I had my Model S, I put VisibleTesla on my virtual Linux server service inside a virtual X window server run by VNC, and I'd SSH into that to change all the settings whenever and whereever I wanted to (I have an app on my iPhone that works with all those things -- it's called Remoter Pro (I paid for it). That way, when I needed to update the app to tell it when I'm leaving from work and to turn on the heater or A/C, I could, with only a few minutes on my smartphone. It sat pretty quietly doing its thing all the time. I had an email alert for when it wasn't plugged in when I'm at home before I went to bed. It had it all configured up, and found it quite useful. The map and some other screens were not functioning, so I just never used them. I had font problems, but usually I could just reload a menu and it would display better.

Hello guys,

Is there any way to get the latest working version of VT?
Because the DropboxLinks are all down and can't find any other way to get this app...

Thanks very much!
If you browse through @scaesare posts in this thread, there will be a link that's the good one.
I have to go to a meeting and can't find it now, but I downloaded it and the latest version works (somewhat) well in a PC.

I confess I didn't have the chance to look through in detail, but I am sure the app has good foundations to improve.