Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understood that. For those owners who are not programmers, the trust factor on the developers is the same whether it is VT, TeslaFI, EVmote, or TeslaLog. The additional vulnerability for the cloud apps is that they also might allow a third party (not the developer) to easily compromise the cloud app and steal the tokens.

Additional pros and cons are that the cloud apps provide a handy way of comparing stats across a broad range of owners (eg leader boards in TeslaFi) but in exchange additional privacy is lost as personal details on travel and charging are now shared with the app provider as well as the Tesla mother ship.

I'm not advocating for one approach over another. Like most things in life, it is a risk/reward trade-off that differs for each of us.

Also and this is true for both apps/web sites, the token does NOT allow you to start the car (AFAIK).
It allows you do make pretty much all the other API calls including unlocking the doors,
but even Tesla apps prompts for password to start the car! (at least mine here in Canada)

So to compromise these web sites and capture the password (to steal the car), one would have to hack the sites in such a way as to capture the 'transient' password on the original login. Not impossible, but if successful, they're only collecting new login info, no historical ones as long as the web developers did as promised...not store our passwords, only tokens.

Since some of these web sites actually suggested an external means to get the token so our password doesn't go through their server...the exposure becomes even more limited if you do that. (Don't remember which of these sites suggested this, it might be the youngest one, TeslaFI)

This being said, I'm paranoid myself and only use VT for now, so I can control IN/OUTs...but TeslaFI is very tempting!

Right so you didn't need to setup anything on your firewall either because 80/443 is open by default. That was my only point. Thanks
?? No it's not. Every single port is closed to outgoing connections. I have to specifically authorize any outgoing connection on any port. I found those ports and servers by looking at my list of approved ports.

Kind of defeats the purpose of an outgoing firewall if it allows all traffic out on the most common ports.

Reactions: davidc18
?? No it's not. Every single port is closed to outgoing connections. I have to specifically authorize any outgoing connection on any port. I found those ports and servers by looking at my list of approved ports.

Kind of defeats the purpose of an outgoing firewall if it allows all traffic out on the most common ports.
Of course it is. Outbound HTTP and HTTPS (as well as a few more) are opened by default on all consumer routers firewalls. Of course you can turn off those services but how would you be able to browse the Internet without those ports? Part of the installation process of new routers has you connecting to web sites to check connectivity. Maybe you meant "incoming connections" but that's not needed for VT.

Of course it is. Outbound HTTP and HTTPS (as well as a few more) are opened by default on all consumer routers firewalls. Of course you can turn off those services but how would you be able to browse the Internet without those ports? Part of the installation process of new routers has you connecting to web sites to check connectivity. Maybe you meant "incoming connections" but that's not needed for VT.
I think part of the problem here is you've made some false assumptions. All I said is that if you're paranoid you can set up an outgoing firewall to block VisibleTesla from communicating with any server other than those owned by Tesla. I never said anything about it being a consumer router firewall. There are absolutely firewalls that can permit and block ports on a per-application basis. See ZoneAlarm, Little Snitch, NetLimiter, and so on. I could, for example, make Chrome essentially useless by blocking it from port 80 and 443 while allowing Firefox to continue to work just fine on those same ports. For VT, it's only permitted to talk to the two servers/ports I noted. Literally nothing else.

What you're thinking of is a firewall that's blocking by port, which is different, though it's possible to be utilizing both at the same time.

Reactions: jgs
I think part of the problem here is you've made some false assumptions. All I said is that if you're paranoid you can set up an outgoing firewall to block VisibleTesla from communicating with any server other than those owned by Tesla. I never said anything about it being a consumer router firewall. There are absolutely firewalls that can permit and block ports on a per-application basis. See ZoneAlarm, Little Snitch, NetLimiter, and so on. I could, for example, make Chrome essentially useless by blocking it from port 80 and 443 while allowing Firefox to continue to work just fine on those same ports. For VT, it's only permitted to talk to the two servers/ports I noted. Literally nothing else.

What you're thinking of is a firewall that's blocking by port, which is different, though it's possible to be utilizing both at the same time.
You're right, I wasn't thinking that you were also utilizing an application firewall as another layer. That's very good security.

The author of VT has not been active on this forum for over a year.

I only have 1 Tesla, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I can tell you this. The data for a specific car is stored in files based on the vehicle's VIN. So I don't see a need to have separate data directories (nor do I see a preference for specifying this). According to the FAQ, there is no way to switch between cars within one running instance of VT. However, FAQ suggests running an additional copy of VT (so for 2 cars, 2 copies). I assume that you can select which car you want when you start each copy VT.

Under Windows the data gets stored under Documents in a folder named VisibleTesla.

Good luck.

Just started using Visible Tesla a few weeks ago, and can't seem to get it to log my trips. Is there something I need to do on the car or on the program to get it to log my trips? When I click on various dates where I have driven the car, there are no entries in the trip log.

Question about Multiple Tesla:
A while back, you could specify which directory the application stored data in. Can that still be done? I would like to be able to schedule both my S and my wife's X from my home PC. Thanks in advance!

The developer had a sense of humor too!

Attachments

• VisibleTesla_MultipleTeslas.png
    VisibleTesla_MultipleTeslas.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 117
Just started using Visible Tesla a few weeks ago, and can't seem to get it to log my trips. Is there something I need to do on the car or on the program to get it to log my trips? When I click on various dates where I have driven the car, there are no entries in the trip log.
You have to leave the Visible Tesla app running on your computer all of the time if you want it to record your trips.

I did a search and couldn't find a answer.

Geofencing isn't working anymore for me. The map stays small even when going full screen and a area cannot be selected. No zoom in or zoom out like before. I upgraded to a new machine with Win 10.

Any help would be appreciated.

Same here, need to click Refresh and Browse every time to open a browser to see the location