Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision cruise control isn't usable (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 8,000 miles on our 2021 Y now we are seriously considering getting rid of it. My wife's daily commute is about 25 miles each way on this stretch of road in the video. It is constant hard braking events, audible beeping, and behavior shown on the video. The problem is worse at night but happens every drive in the day as well. We were hoping for an update to resolve the issues but no improvement. Literally just this morning the car hard braked 5! times for passing cars (20+mph speed change).

Of course we tried to schedule a service appointment and it was cancelled. Is anyone else seeing this behavior or is there something wrong with our car? We are at a loss at this point since Tesla won't help.

Thanks for posting this.

Anyone know what the beep is? At e.g. 2:57 and 6:04. At first I thought Tesla had forgotten to disable the collision warning beep when you disable collision warning in the settings. But with the one at 6:04, the oncoming car is much further away. Also on the left side, when it was the right pillar camera the car complains about.

I can't say whether the vision-only system is really this bad. I have an older Model Y with radar - thank Jesus.

If this is *not* intended operation, then I have a hunch the cameras are either defective or installed incorrectly. As a first step I would try a different service center to see if they treat you better.

Still no love, then sell it.

Reactions: jsight
Hate to say it but the whole car is a work in progress and is not perfect. If you plan to use these features - just know they will have issues and are far from flawless. We are early adopters. I do agree that you have paid good money and expect a fully functional product. Its just not there. Driving the Tesla and leveraging a lot of its intelligent features is an 'adventure' to say the least. Im a beta tested for FSD - and - well - its very 'exciting' to be :)

Autopilot has always had its share of issues, but I've never had any issues with cruise control as long as AEB is turned off. Until now. This new 10.x vision system makes even cruise control a PITA with all the micro, macro and panic braking, along with the occasional alarms going off for no apparent reason. I really do hope Tesla can get the bugs worked out sooner than later.

This is really disappointing to read. I'm scheduled to pick up my 2022 MYLR in a few days and this behavior would be a deal breaker for me. More so than misaligned body panels and paint defects. I live in a fairly rural part of the country and often 2-lane US & state highways are to only viable way to get anywhere.

I don't even mind that TACC is beta software, but to not give us an alternative is just arrogant/lazy on Tesla's part. "Plain ol' cruise control" is a problem that was solved decades ago. This is a "software-defined vehicle." We should have more options than we know what to do with. Usually when you are a Beta Tester, you have some non-Beta version of functionality that is your baseline. In this case, we have no CC capability to fall back to.

This is really disappointing to read. I'm scheduled to pick up my 2022 MYLR in a few days and this behavior would be a deal breaker for me. More so than misaligned body panels and paint defects. I live in a fairly rural part of the country and often 2-lane US & state highways are to only viable way to get anywhere.

I don't even mind that TACC is beta software, but to not give us an alternative is just arrogant/lazy on Tesla's part. "Plain ol' cruise control" is a problem that was solved decades ago. This is a "software-defined vehicle." We should have more options than we know what to do with. Usually when you are a Beta Tester, you have some non-Beta version of functionality that is your baseline. In this case, we have no CC capability to fall back to.

Yes, exactly. We are in the same situation. This video was filmed in rural Indiana. When we ordered this car vision based cruise had not even been announced. Tesla doesn't treat the feature the same as autopilot as well. When you get in the car for the first time it is enabled by default unlike autosteer. We were willing to give them some initial slack due to parts shortages but nearly 6 months later zero improvements. This was supposed to be a superior system that eliminated phantom braking.

Frankly, like rpjpnk just mentioned allowing us just "dumb" cruise control for the time being would be good enough until they fixed the feature.

The work around is to set a speed limit (function is meant to limit speed of "other" drivers of your car such as your children). The only problem is that it locks in that max speed and you can't change it unless you are in park... and it also locks you into "chill" mode. With the "speed limit" set you just press on the accelerator and the car goes up to that max speed and stays there, no phantom braking, no emergency braking, no nothing... it is just like dumb cruise control but you can't change the max speed, and you have to press down on the accelerator. I use this for my daily commute, if I hadn't discovered it I would be seriously considering selling the car and getting something that actually works.

Keith

The work around is to set a speed limit (function is meant to limit speed of "other" drivers of your car such as your children). The only problem is that it locks in that max speed and you can't change it unless you are in park... and it also locks you into "chill" mode. With the "speed limit" set you just press on the accelerator and the car goes up to that max speed and stays there, no phantom braking, no emergency braking, no nothing... it is just like dumb cruise control but you can't change the max speed, and you have to press down on the accelerator. I use this for my daily commute, if I hadn't discovered it I would be seriously considering selling the car and getting something that actually works.

Keith
How is this a workaround to cruise control if you still have to step on the accelerator?

I think the Forward Collision Mitigation disable, only affects when you are not using Cruise/AP. I have a feeling it is always enabled when using Cruise/AP.
With that being said, this problem affects other cars too, not just Tesla... There is a section of road near my daughter's school, where the lightpost is in just the right spot in a curve, such that both my Infinti and Acura (both radar based) will slam on the brakes as I approach it, if I'm in the far right lane. My Infiniti will only do this if I have drivers assistance enabled. My Acura it doesn't matter. Sometimes I wonder if that's why the Infiniti has a quick toggle on the wheel, becuase there are lots of other situations that it will slam on the brakes, so I quickly disable them if I anticipate such a scenario, such as the guy in front turning right, etc. Luckily my vision only Y does not slam on the brakes at this light post... But because of this, out of habit, I make sure to always be in the left lane when I drive thru there.

How is this a workaround to cruise control if you still have to step on the accelerator?

"Floor it and forget it" you just have to press the accelerator enough that if you didn't have a speed limit set you would be going faster than the desired set speed. If you don't want to use your foot, cut a length of broom stick to jam the accelerator down with :D

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: bobbyjae
More importantly, how is this a workaround to cruise control if you have to stop the car to change set speeds?

I didn't say it doesn't suck... but it sucks WAY LESS than phantom braking. The vast majority of my daily commute is at 60 mph, so I set the speed limiter to 60 mph and never have to deal with phantom braking. On weekends when I will be hitting the highway I turn off the speed limiter and deal with manually controlling my speed until I get to the highway where TACC is only mildly annoying rather than being maddening / dangerous like it is on rural two lane highways.

Keith

PS: One of the most maddening things about TACC craziness is when it give the "you are going to die!!! beeps while showing the bright red semi truck CLEARLY IN THE OTHER LANE on the screen. If the f'ing system KNOWS the truck is in the other lane then why is it giving the "you are going to die!!!" beeps? If I wasn't using my work around, it would be slamming on the brakes in addition to the beeping, risking a rear end collision if there is anyone behind me... this happens SEVERAL TIMES A DAY on my daily commute.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but the whole car is a work in progress and is not perfect. If you plan to use these features - just know they will have issues and are far from flawless. We are early adopters. I do agree that you have paid good money and expect a fully functional product. Its just not there. Driving the Tesla and leveraging a lot of its intelligent features is an 'adventure' to say the least. Im a beta tested for FSD - and - well - its very 'exciting' to be :)

early adopters my Ass. dude, adaptive cruise control has been around for ages

Yeah, this is my biggest disappointment (maybe my only disappointment) with the car. Pretty embarrassing that the supposed leader in FSD can't even get adaptive cruise to work without repeated phantom braking. My Jeeps have NEVER done this in over 140,000 combined miles. My MYP does it multiple times in one trip, worse at night. Inexcusable that they've not been able to solve this issue in YEARS. Yes, they're re-writing for cameras. I don't care. Subaru has solved vision based adaptive cruise better than this. It's clearly not the priority it should be.

And while we're at it, can we please properly auto dim the lights when there's a car in front of me? Please? And stop dimming them for every parked car along the way? Please? Another thing my Jeeps do way better and they're 6 & 7 years older.

But I really do LOVE my Tesla, just wish they'd hurry up and fix these software issues.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
We traded our Y last week on a Mach E. Enough was enough on the phantom braking. It is entirely possible you could own one of these cars and use it in an area or situation where you don't get a lot of it (like on the interstate), but where we live (2 lane highways) it wasn't usable.

This isn't good to hear...hopefully this gets fixed soon. When I test drove a Y I was only able to test out the autopilot for like 10 minutes. Worked a lot better than the autopilot on our Telluride. However, 10 minutes is not enough to test in all the type of scenarios that I would be using it in.

How do you like the Mach E and the Blue Cruise (autopilot)?