Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VMR V710FF 19" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• EC52EFEA-5E26-4729-AACA-873C0C029D30.jpeg
    EC52EFEA-5E26-4729-AACA-873C0C029D30.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 646
Reactions: Kronikker
@kbecks13, they sure do! Lol. Your setup was a great inspiration since we have the same color car.

@justaute, yes, there is range loss, approximately 15-20% versus the 18s with the aero caps. Worth it though imo since there is more grip and look way better

i have the same color car and debating between 255s vs 265s - I do not track. But wow 15-20% range loss is quite significant :(

would you be able to share more pics? any pics really... what's the offset on your 255s?

Any issues with rubbing or noises? Anything at all i should be aware of or consider before buying --this is all new to me? Like anything you have learned since the new setup was installed? Will I need any other "parts" or "adjustments"?

Last edited:
Here's a couple more pics. I would go with 255/35/19 size tires if you don't track like me. My wheels are 19x9.5 +33 offset all around. No rubbing at all. I would recommend new skinnier lug nuts (I went with 19mm lugs). Or you could go with the same size wheels as the tesla sport wheels (19x8.5) with 245 tires instead of 235. The vmr wheels will have a +35 offset.

I adjusted my driving habits so that range loss is now minimal (like less than 5%). Instead of going 80 mph, I go about 70 mph during my morning commute.

Attachments

• IMG_20190227_081007.jpg
    IMG_20190227_081007.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20190227_080933.jpg
    IMG_20190227_080933.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_20190227_080912.jpg
    IMG_20190227_080912.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 558
Reactions: Gator Rican
Here's a couple more pics. I would go with 255/35/19 size tires if you don't track like me. My wheels are 19x9.5 +33 offset all around. No rubbing at all. I would recommend new skinnier lug nuts (I went with 19mm lugs). Or you could go with the same size wheels as the tesla sport wheels (19x8.5) with 245 tires instead of 235. The vmr wheels will have a +35 offset.

I adjusted my driving habits so that range loss is now minimal (like less than 5%). Instead of going 80 mph, I go about 70 mph during my morning commute.

thanks for the pics!

Are you in a performance model 3?

I am in a MidRange RWD not sure if that affects the offset I should be looking for. I know my model 3 has a +40 offset - Would your +33 work in my vehicle?

If it is not too much trouble, would you be able to take a pic from ground-ish level behind vehicle? Trying to see how meaty/aggressive your 255s look. Hard to tell from the angles provided so far.

Hi,
what is the advice for size tires and wheels in 20 inch (thinking of VMR 710) on a Model 3 Standard Range Plus?
Is staggered possible or is there a good reason why you should't do that?

They will fit, one of the example photos that VMR has on their website for those wheels is a Model 3. I'm not sure what offsets they offer, but you'd likely want something between +33 and +40, but it also depends on the wheel width you go with. Send VMR an email and they can probably help you out with sizing.

Staggered is definitely possible, but it will hurt your handling and make the car understeer quite a bit. The only time people really do staggered is if they want to make the car look better at the expense of handling.

They will fit, one of the example photos that VMR has on their website for those wheels is a Model 3. I'm not sure what offsets they offer, but you'd likely want something between +33 and +40, but it also depends on the wheel width you go with. Send VMR an email and they can probably help you out with sizing.

Staggered is definitely possible, but it will hurt your handling and make the car understeer quite a bit. The only time people really do staggered is if they want to make the car look better at the expense of handling.

Thanks!
I am awaiting a reply from VMR! Let them make the best choice for me in 20”. :)

I don’t mind a little bit extra understeer...
Especially not when you get a car looking this agressive! ;-)

Hello all. Great thread here. All the posts have been helpful. I drive a white Stealth AWD - so I think they call it the P3D- ? So I have the regular, non-Performance brake calipers. I was hoping for some advice.

I came to this thread in a round-about fashion. I'm currently running stock 18" but I've been looking for some cool 19" wheels. I came across a white M3 last week in a parking lot and I fell in love with the wheels. They're 20", so they look even better than 19s. But I'm sticking with 19s as I've read their more practical and comfortable to drive.

Also, I think the car I saw was lowered as well.

Anyway, the wheels on this white M3 were marked "VMR". So I took some pics of it, went home and started googling. I found VMRs site. I guess these were V710 (not V710FF) because they are silver and I don't thing the FF come in silver.

Doing some more googling, I came across this thread!

I've attached some pics of the white M3. Such great looking wheels!

So I contacted VMR and they sent me back this reply:

A square setup would certainly be more practical for a daily driver since you'll be able to rotate your tires. The recommended square setup would be 19x8.5 ET35 in the front and rear with a 235/40/19 tire. I'll leave a quote below with the all seasons along with some pictures.

4x VMR Wheels V710 19x8.5 ET35 5x114.3 64.1 $280
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S $727
Dunlop Signature HP $820
Pirelli P Zero All Season $977
TPMS Installation: $220
Mounting and road force balance: $60
W&T Pkg Shipping: $50
Total Shipped: $2177 w/Yokohama; $2270 w/Dunlop; $2427 w/Pirelli

So again, I'm hoping to get some advice. Please keep in mind that I know nothing about wheels and tires, size, offsets, etc. So go easy! :)

1. What's the difference between V710 and v710FF? They look identical in the pics on the VMR website? (apart from the colors). But the V710 are quite a bit less expensive. Again, I really want silver, so I think I can only go with the V710.

2. Weele size: 19x8.5 ET35. Can someone explain to me what the ET35 means? How does VMR know to recommend that?

3. VMR gave me 3 tire options. I'm not a "performance" driver. In fact, my wife does most of the driving with my kids. Also, we live in Portland, OR. So I want a good all season tire that will do good in the rain. It rarely snows here. And I don't need a high performance sport tire. Give that, can anyone recommend a tire for my needs? I've read good things about the Michelin MXM4.

3. If I go with a tire other than what VMR noted, will VMR need to know that? Will the wheel size or "ET" change based on my tire selection?

4. I was thinking of buying the tires locally (Tire Discount or Les Schwabb). I'd like to form a relationship with a local tire shop so I can get the benefits they offer to customers (tire rotations, fixing flats, etc.). Does that sound reasonable? Or is it best to order the whole package from VMR?

5. TPMS: I see these can be bought on Ebay for ~$120. So quite a bit cheaper than the VMR price. Am I better off ordering them on ebay and having the local shop install them along with the tires?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for your input and patience!!

IMG_20190829_143559.jpg
IMG_20190829_143603.jpg
IMG_20190829_143608.jpg

Last edited:
VMR 710s are cast wheels and the 701s are flow forged. Main difference is that 701s are lighter and stronger. I believer they are about 3lbs lighter. That is a good amount of weight saving for rotational mass. The difference for you, might be better steering feel and better efficiency.

ET35 is the offset of the wheels. Which is ( in basic terms) how far the wheels stick out from the cars side ( its more complicated than that but just to keep it simple).

If the wheels stick out more, the car looks better and more aggressive, possibly handle better in turns (again making this really simple). ET35 would stick out 5mm more than the stock 19" sport wheels, not large enough of a difference. ( I am not sure how it compares to the stock 18" wheels). Car will look better but will be less efficient.

Hello all. Great thread here. All the posts have been helpful. I drive a white Stealth AWD - so I think they call it the P3D- ? So I have the regular, non-Performance brake calipers. I was hoping for some advice.

I came to this thread in a round-about fashion. I'm currently running stock 18" but I've been looking for some cool 19" wheels. I came across a white M3 last week in a parking lot and I fell in love with the wheels. They're 20", so they look even better than 19s. But I'm sticking with 19s as I've read their more practical and comfortable to drive.

Also, I think the car I saw was lowered as well.

Anyway, the wheels on this white M3 were marked "VMR". So I took some pics of it, went home and started googling. I found VMRs site. I guess these were V710 (not V710FF) because they are silver and I don't thing the FF come in silver.

Doing some more googling, I came across this thread!

I've attached some pics of the white M3. Such great looking wheels!

So I contacted VMR and they sent me back this reply:

A square setup would certainly be more practical for a daily driver since you'll be able to rotate your tires. The recommended square setup would be 19x8.5 ET35 in the front and rear with a 235/40/19 tire. I'll leave a quote below with the all seasons along with some pictures.

4x VMR Wheels V710 19x8.5 ET35 5x114.3 64.1 $280
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S $727
Dunlop Signature HP $820
Pirelli P Zero All Season $977
TPMS Installation: $220
Mounting and road force balance: $60
W&T Pkg Shipping: $50
Total Shipped: $2177 w/Yokohama; $2270 w/Dunlop; $2427 w/Pirelli

So again, I'm hoping to get some advice. Please keep in mind that I know nothing about wheels and tires, size, offsets, etc. So go easy! :)

1. What's the difference between V710 and v710FF? They look identical in the pics on the VMR website? (apart from the colors). But the V710 are quite a bit less expensive. Again, I really want silver, so I think I can only go with the V710.

2. Weele size: 19x8.5 ET35. Can someone explain to me what the ET35 means? How does VMR know to recommend that?

3. VMR gave me 3 tire options. I'm not a "performance" driver. In fact, my wife does most of the driving with my kids. Also, we live in Portland, OR. So I want a good all season tire that will do good in the rain. It rarely snows here. And I don't need a high performance sport tire. Give that, can anyone recommend a tire for my needs? I've read good things about the Michelin MXM4.

3. If I go with a tire other than what VMR noted, will VMR need to know that? Will the wheel size or "ET" change based on my tire selection?

4. I was thinking of buying the tires locally (Tire Discount or Les Schwabb). I'd like to form a relationship with a local tire shop so I can get the benefits they offer to customers (tire rotations, fixing flats, etc.). Does that sound reasonable? Or is it best to order the whole package from VMR?

5. TPMS: I see these can be bought on Ebay for ~$120. So quite a bit cheaper than the VMR price. Am I better off ordering them on ebay and having the local shop install them along with the tires?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for your input and patience!!

View attachment 450969 View attachment 450970 View attachment 450971

I guess these were V710 (not V710FF) because they are silver and I don't thing the FF come in silver.

Ask VMR, pretty sure they can paint the V710FF in any of the colors they have available for you.

FF = Flow Formed (versus cast as the standard) and it's worth it IMO, basically the wheels are made to be stronger through the manufacturing process. Much less likely to damage a wheel on a pothole for daily driving and it's also lighter, but slightly more expensive. Tesla stock wheels are cast and are heavy and weak, plenty of people have reported damaging them on potholes unfortunately.

+35 means the wheel offset and that's a good number for a daily driver in terms of both wheel size and offset. Stock your car is +40mm, so this means you will shift your wheel/tire 5mm (0.2") outwards, away from the suspension but it's not a huge deal. Maybe a tiny efficiency impact from aerodynamics, but the weight savings of a flow formed wheel would offset that.

Tirerack is the best for this, here are their ratings for that tire size and the All-Season category (probably what you want): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=235%2F&ratio=40&diameter=19

VMR can easily order whatever tire you want from Tirerack and mount/balance for you (they did for me!). Offset doesn't change tire/wheel sizing (it's just where the wheel sits relative to your suspension when mounted to the car), so just look for 235/40R19 tires and that's the only fitment requirement.

You could definitely do that, but VMR provides a pretty good deal for mounting/balancing BUT if you have to go get the wheels installed somewhere, you might as well have them do the tires for ya. Either way is probably fine.

Yes you can probably do that and save some money.

View attachment 450969 View attachment 450970 View attachment 450971

Suggest you get performance summer tires for the VMR wheels, and mount winter tires on your stock 18” wheels. I’m the OP, and I mention this in the first post in this thread. I’ve been very happy with that arrangement. It only takes 25 minutes to swap the wheels myself in my garage. Tires are designed for a specific temperature range. You’ll appreciate having the right tires for each season’s conditions.

Re TPMS: Suggest just going with VMRs. They’re delivering the full set to you ready to go on the car. You’ll probably end up paying more if you have all the pieces delivered separately and then have to find a shop near you to install the TPMS, mount and balance the tires. The TPMS sensors VMR use work great so far, no issues at all after 28k miles.

Suggest you get performance summer tires for the VMR wheels, and mount winter tires on your stock 18” wheels. I’m the OP, and I mention this in the first post in this thread. I’ve been very happy with that arrangement. It only takes 25 minutes to swap the wheels myself in my garage. Tires are designed for a specific temperature range. You’ll appreciate having the right tires for each season’s conditions.

Re TPMS: Suggest just going with VMRs. They’re delivering the full set to you ready to go on the car. You’ll probably end up paying more if you have all the pieces delivered separately and then have to find a shop near you to install the TPMS, mount and balance the tires. The TPMS sensors VMR use work great so far, no issues at all after 28k miles.

Hey thanks to @srkerd , @kbecks13 and @Tdave. That's all super useful information.

TDave, living in Portland, we get around 8 months of rain per year. Maybe 2 to 5 days of snow. So I hesitate doing a summer/winter tire setup. Because if it's a summer tire, I'd only get to have it on the car a few months out of the year.

Is there an in-between? A good "summer" tire that does well in the rain? And then I could put actual winter tires on for if/when we get some snow? Or are summer tires really only meant for dry warm weather?

TDave, living in Portland, we get around 8 months of rain per year. Maybe 2 to 5 days of snow. So I hesitate doing a summer/winter tire setup. Because if it's a summer tire, I'd only get to have it on the car a few months out of the year.

Is there an in-between? A good "summer" tire that does well in the rain? And then I could put actual winter tires on for if/when we get some snow? Or are summer tires really only meant for dry warm weather?

Summer performance tires are great in the rain. It’s mostly about the temperature. Rubber compounds are designed for optimal use in particular temperature ranges. Summer tires will be ideal above 40F. Winter tires will be ideal below freezing, and of course the winter tread pattern and siping helps in snow and ice. For me I want the best tire for the season. I put on winter tires here in Maryland even though we only get a few days per year of snow. My winter tire use is about the temperatures first, and icy conditions second, and snow third. My summer tire use is about warm dry conditions first, and rain conditions second.

Status
Not open for further replies.