Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands, any good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard pretty bad reports.

I think if you're used to Android Auto in your car, you're best lowering your expectations :/

(I don't have personal experience though, so I am sure there will be more personal reviews from people)

I guess we are talking about VoiceR in the Tesla, or maybe just voice recognition in general.

In the Tesla, it almost never misunderstands my commands. HOWEVER, once I said "Drive me to Musk's ranch." And I could have sworn it replied "I don't recognize that house of prostitution!" :rolleyes:
It probably thought I said "Drive me to Mustang Ranch" which actually is a house of prostitution. :D

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
I tried the voice commands with the nav on the car in the showroom. I tried three different destinations and it worked each time.

Can any existing owner tell me what the voice commands can be used for? I’d have thought things like wipers and climate control could be included, so you’re less reliant on using the screen while driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I tried the voice commands with the nav on the car in the showroom. I tried three different destinations and it worked each time.

Can any existing owner tell me what the voice commands can be used for? I’d have thought things like wipers and climate control could be included, so you’re less reliant on using the screen while driving.
Known working voice commands?

Lots of possibility for future command enhancements that I would like to have, and shouldn't be that hard to add since Tesla controls just about every aspect of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and MrBadger
I tried voice in showroom too. I was very surprised to hear peoples views. Likewise I was also surprised that it only had limited vocabulary. I guess I was lucky with my requests. Hope they do expand its vocabulary, or at least allow you to create macros.

Having been treated to near perfect autowipers from BMW and VW over the last 16 years, it will be a shock having to fumble for the touch screen to get them to work as needed. Voice command would at least go some way to compensate. As @Roy W. also hints, climate control may well be another function too clever to work safely from touch screen whilst moving. Voice activated macro would probably sort that one too.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've heard pretty bad reports.

I think if you're used to Android Auto in your car, you're best lowering your expectations :/

(I don't have personal experience though, so I am sure there will be more personal reviews from people)

I am really not looking forward to losing Android Auto. It's the only thing I'm imagining being worse than my current driving experience. I have access to Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and Google Assistant. Nobody can do voice assistance like Google yet (at least not from that selection)....

It's much worse than Android auto. The navigation system uses Google map data, the voice recognition is not Google - I wish it was.

It's generally good for navigation though, acceptable for music, but really bad for voice dialing. There are several names in my phone book that it just will not recognize. This is my top peeve about the car - which I guess tells you something.

I tried voice in showroom too. I was very surprised to hear peoples views. Likewise I was also surprised that it only had limited vocabulary. I guess I was lucky with my requests. Hope they do expand its vocabulary, or at least allow you to create macros.

The voice recognition uses a web-based language interpretation. The vocabulary is unlimited (and I'm amazed at it's near 100% accuracy). I think what you mean to say is that it has a limited set of voice commands (which is true).

I'm finding the voice recognition laughably bad. I have a pretty clear voice (no heavy accent etc...) but it really struggles. Some of the results are utterly ridiculous.

Why didn't they just use Google voice search?!?!?!?!?!

Can someone please create a contact called ‘Jem’ and see if you can try the following voice prompt: “Call Jem”

No matter how hard I try, or say it in different accents (even have tried with kids), it keeps hearing “Call Jen”!
Its my first car that can voice call my wife, so I was pretty happy with that. I do use first name second name tho, which may help. Not sure where the fuzzy matching kicks in, but I saw it get her name totally wrong in the text on screen, but then it found and caller her! (Not a particularly out there name by UK standards, just old school Northern)

Destinations have been nothing short of impressive. It even got the right B&Q when I asked it once.

I'm not sure what else I would want? Wiper control could be added, but would you really prefer to press a button and say 'Wiper speed three" rather than touch a button? I would rather a physical button to adjust the wipers (or just vary the auto sensitivity), but I'd rather have a fancy tap on the wiper button than a voice command. Open glovebox would be appreciated in my household tho (they all hold it up as an example of going too far that the passenger can't open this without going into settings).

Climate is mostly single button, unless you really need to mess with it, and how often is that once you have had it a few weeks? I'm not sure I want a spoken command to ask 'heat my ass'. Tying in some macro like commands would be good - like pre heating sets a given temp, turn on the seats and does the windows if needed. That set would be a lot of hunt and peck that could be tied into a profile or something, but that isn't just a voice command change now.

Sorry for the accidental wall of text! Just not sure I see a use case for extending the commands. Improving, definitely tho. Any reliability improvement is always welcome.

Reactions: PilotD99
Can someone please create a contact called ‘Jem’ and see if you can try the following voice prompt: “Call Jem”

No matter how hard I try, or say it in different accents (even have tried with kids), it keeps hearing “Call Jen”!

Excellent! I hope you watched the video at the beginning of this thread .. I cried with laughter ...

A friend of mine had his mother in law in his contacts down under "the old trout"

For some reason, he had reason to have to call his mother in laws phone, whilst he was in the car with her as passenger. Apparently it was a very awkward voice dial...

Moral of the story, if you need to use a pseudonym for a contact, remember that one day you may needed to say it, and repeat it several times

• Funny
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Navigation voice search seems not too bad for me. However, Spotify music search is dire and seems to be getting worse with recent updates. Phone call activation is variable but even when gobbledygook appears on the screen, it often works out who you are trying to call. All a bit weird and inconsistent.

Actual voice commands for functions seem quite limited at the moment.