Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Control Much Improved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No update downloaded but voice control is waaaay better for me today. Just driven from Derby to Wolves and a range of commands, even specific cabin temperature set points, are working. Only one failing was the usual reversing camera. It even worked first time to "Show tyre pressures" .

Will it last? Anyone else seeing this?

I've not tried, but many thought that voice non recognition was significantly influenced by server issues. Recent info from Tesla, specifically cars not running newer versions will lose functionality from May, imply that some Tesla infrastructure is being retired and replaced with technology that can be globally scaled. Hopefully what you are seeing is a result of the newer infrastructure being rolled out.

I've not tried, but many thought that voice non recognition was significantly influenced by server issues. Recent info from Tesla, specifically cars not running newer versions will lose functionality from May, imply that some Tesla infrastructure is being retired and replaced with technology that can be globally scaled. Hopefully what you are seeing is a result of the newer infrastructure being rolled out.
Makes sense, it's not a local improvement i.e. no new firmware, so I've either hit a quiet patch on the existing remote infrastructure, or they've rolled out a bunch of new kit. I'll see how it performs on the way home

I have to agree, when on a journey on Tuesday the voice recognition worked sooo much better.

A lot snappier too. I haven’t got around to trying everything yet but I’m pleased to report previously unresponsive commands like set heating to 22°C, show me the rear camera and open energy graph all work faultlessly.

For the call command, arguably the most useful voice command (?), I have found that limiting the name to the first name operates to near 100%.
Adding a surname significantly reduces the chances of success.

I assume the natural language algorithms find compound commands to be of increasing challenge as mofey

Much improved. Even managed to dial some phone calls. The command ‘dial’ works better than ‘call’. ‘Turn on rear fog lights’ now results in the response ‘command not yet available’ which is at least an improvement on ‘command not understood’. I even managed to successfully call up some music albums. Well done Tesla - and no software upgrade needed - at least at our end. I suspect something fairly significant has happened on the mothership!

Although I'm no longer allowed to drive my car.
Given that I live in a block of flats, I reckon that this is private land and so summoning it in and out of my garage is allowed and sitting in it and testing my voice commands is also allowed.
Perhaps even the odd acceleration down the car park and back again.

Anyway, I got into the car this morning and did a random test of all the voicemails, including the East Egg found them all working!
So, that was a very pleasant surprise.

Although I'm no longer allowed to drive my car.
Given that I live in a block of flats, I reckon that this is private land and so summoning it in and out of my garage is allowed and sitting in it and testing my voice commands is also allowed.
Perhaps even the odd acceleration down the car park and back again.

Anyway, I got into the car this morning and did a random test of all the voicemails, including the East Egg found them all working!
So, that was a very pleasant surprise.

I hope you are keeping as well as you can be. Great to maintain some car interaction! Mine amazed me the other day when I gave the name of a local beauty spot on a narrow road in a country area ... I said "Navigate to Scott's View" ... and flipping' heck, it did! What surprised me most was that the text on the screen was instantly correct, no delay, even with "Scott's" and not "Scots" (the view is named after Sir Walter Scott). It subsequently got a few other things correct before getting over tired! (I thought "Duns" was an easy location but it listed every town in the country other than Duns ... no, I'm not going to "Dunstable" thank you very much!)

• Funny
Reactions: Compuguide
the fact this improvement is happening without software update confirms to me my earlier understanding that the voice clip is recorded, sent to HQ for decoding and the decoded commands sent back to the car. The easiest way to provie this is to try using voice commands when there is no reception. (I think a few basic commands are handled by the car directly).

I suspect Tesla have been training a new voice recgnition system back at HQ and are now stating to release server side updates to improve performance.

Elon said as much, that it would improve over time and become more "natural".

A classic example of Tesla releasing something that is broken and then improving steadily over time until, dare i say it, it actually becomes quite good.

Another example also of how other manufacturers get left in the dust behind Tesla's relentless progress.

using it a bit more now and noticed it is actually working, still not 100% sure on what commands it can/cant do, it doesn't seem to operated heated seats for me, but i tried fold mirrors, and open mirrors, and these seem to work fine (as i was fold/unfolding driving along slowly testing them).

What other commands can it do that wouldn't be that obvious?

HW1 S here - on 3G - definite improvement in past few days. I wish there was a list of available commands though, as some might be failing due to bugs/language recognition rather than by design.

I am now able to turn the heated steering wheel on/off by voice. The message in the driver's console says "failed to turn on heated steering wheel" but in actual fact it's succeeded. This is one feature which is _far_ better to activate by voice rather than pecking away at the bottom of the touch screen (IMO).

Fog lights on/off: "not available yet", so holding out hope this may be added in future. I wonder if it will be more tricky to allow voice control of critical things like external lights rather than just convenience features (that said, folding the wing mirrors could be considered critical I guess).

Distinguishing "on" and "off" also seems to cause a bit of trouble (unsurprising as they do sound similar).
Occasionally it behaves as if it can't hear me (shows some examples in the driver's console as if it's waiting for me to say something even though I'm chuntering away).