Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that I can ask Spotify to play a song, quite often long title name and artists, and it gets it right pretty much all the time. However, if I try to use voice recognition to make a phone call, it's awful. Does it route to a different server for Spotify?

same - I gave up trying to use it to make a phone call (oddly most other stuff is fine) - instead I just shout “hey Siri call blah mobile” and Siri does it’s thing (most of the time anyway) - the audio in the car automatically switches to the phone when it starts calling.

Reactions: Adopado
It worked for me for the first 3 months flawlessly recognising phone book entries and anything else I asked, then from the start of 2020 its never worked since, nobody listening to feedback, told service centre, they tested and basically just said Spotify works for voice commands which isn't what I asked about.

I wouldn't expect anything to be done anytime soon but who knows

That's not it - I can say "switch OFF air conditioning" and it does so!
If I say" Switch ON air conditioning" it repeats exactly that - then changes my nav destination to XXX air conditioning! I think it's somewhere across the Pacific.....
“Set / change temperature to Xx” works pretty much all the time or “turn on blowers” also works (found the later after one of my parents were trying to turn them off 😂)

Just because it repeats what you said perfectly doesn’t mean it understood you - if it hasn’t been specifically told that saying what your saying is referring to the AC system it will either guess it’s a destination or ignore you :)

If it’s in your recent destination list try deleting it - I would assume that if it doesn’t fully understand what was said it maybe checks recent destinations for a match so if it’s finding it there it’s going to keep doing it?

Last edited:
I find it rather embarrassingly disappointing. I've had my car one week - I have 6 or 7 google home units around the house & they all recognise my whole families Scottish accents & rarely get the recognition wrong - so far the Tesla just fails spectacularly in the same field

Reactions: Wol747
Posting on an old thread here but I can't seem to find an answer to my query anywhere.

Got my M3 just before Christmas and one thing on the voice recognition really bugs me. When I tell it to 'call Mum' it assumes I'm American and looks on my phone for 'Mom'. Obviously that spelling doesn't exist and thus it doesn't complete the call. Is there any way round this?

Only thing I've come up with is spelling mum instead of saying it... But it seems ridiculous to have to do that...

Posting on an old thread here but I can't seem to find an answer to my query anywhere.

Got my M3 just before Christmas and one thing on the voice recognition really bugs me. When I tell it to 'call Mum' it assumes I'm American and looks on my phone for 'Mom'. Obviously that spelling doesn't exist and thus it doesn't complete the call. Is there any way round this?

Only thing I've come up with is spelling mum instead of saying it... But it seems ridiculous to have to do that...

I use Hey Siri for the phone when in the car ... it picks up my voice when in the charging position. (I suppose you could spell mum as mom in your phone contacts if you were determined to get the car to do it.)

I've had a lot of fun trying to get the voice recognition to understand me - and I'm not even Scottish!

I can't work the wipers because it gets picked up as 'Wife is on!' and 'Wife is off!' every time which is hilarious but no use at all. I've had more success with the A/C by calling it HVAC (saying 'aitch vack') which seems to always work. Also 'defrost' seemed quite reliable. Maybe it is a case of finding one of the words for each function that works reliably and sticking to it. Or trying to mimic Elon's accent.

I've had a lot of fun trying to get the voice recognition to understand me - and I'm not even Scottish!

I can't work the wipers because it gets picked up as 'Wife is on!' and 'Wife is off!' every time which is hilarious but no use at all. I've had more success with the A/C by calling it HVAC (saying 'aitch vack') which seems to always work. Also 'defrost' seemed quite reliable. Maybe it is a case of finding one of the words for each function that works reliably and sticking to it. Or trying to mimic Elon's accent.
Useful post thanks @charltones
when I tried to call or message my wife using her Christian name, it never worked so I tried her nickname “wife”. That worked fine when parked but always came up as “boy” when driving.. I’ll change he nickname to ”wipers” :rolleyes:

Reactions: charltones
Useful post thanks @charltones
when I tried to call or message my wife using her Christian name, it never worked so I tried her nickname “wife”. That worked fine when parked but always came up as “boy” when driving.. I’ll change he nickname to ”wipers” :rolleyes:

2 years 4 months ago the voice recognition was perfect for calls like using Siri then after a few months it stopped working and has been the same since.

Don’t know what they did but they must have started doing some things differently to cause this but nobody at Tesla seems to acknowledge this. It’s rather backward when I can’t call home but Elon wants an AI robot and FSD car

Reactions: Wol747
2 years 4 months ago the voice recognition was perfect for calls like using Siri then after a few months it stopped working and has been the same since.

Don’t know what they did but they must have started doing some things differently to cause this but nobody at Tesla seems to acknowledge this. It’s rather backward when I can’t call home but Elon wants an AI robot and FSD car
They've started using vision for voice commands...

:)

A tip for using the phone by voice command,especially for contacts with unusual spellings e.g. Hollie not Holly. Just say " call" then spell the word. E.g. "call H.o.l.l.i.e". Or "call m.u.m" otherwise if you say call mum, it'll complain about not being able to find "mom".

Reactions: charltones