Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting Room: Refreshed Model X 5/7 seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why 6 seats can be produced but 5/7 seats cannot? Isn't the only difference where to mount the seats?
Tesla manufactures the bucket seats themselves in a Tesla owned factory (which is unusual in the automotive biz). The bench seats are sourced from an outside vendor, that has been shut down for an extended period, apparently due to storm damage and Covid. Videos in Youtube.

Tesla manufactures the bucket seats themselves in a Tesla owned factory (which is unusual in the automotive biz). The bench seats are sourced from an outside vendor, that has been shut down for an extended period, apparently due to storm damage and Covid. Videos in Youtube.
If they can produce 5 and 6 then they can do 7. As for outsourced bench seats, what sane company or manufacturer can’t produce ANYTHING for this long? With reduced capacity, low output, parts shortage (not outage), a factory can still pump out SOMETHING by now right?

If they can produce 5 and 6 then they can do 7. As for outsourced bench seats, what sane company or manufacturer can’t produce ANYTHING for this long? With reduced capacity, low output, parts shortage (not outage), a factory can still pump out SOMETHING by now right?
I have heard that there is only one company in the US making certain chemicals to produce the seats and that one company is having a hard time sourcing the raw material for producing the chemical. I have seen other industries facing similar issues from toothpaste to baby car seats. Since the material is limited, Tesla had the 6 seat configurations as a priority since they make the most profit margin. My model X 5 seats wait time outlasted my ex-girlfriend. Hopefully, we will start seeing deliveries soon. My Model X will be my new significant other.

• Funny
Reactions: Kitt9000
And that is why we are now seeing a few five passenger VINs pop up (I am waiting on one myself). While the five and seven passenger bench seat are similar, they are different. In the five passenger, the seat is hard mounted to the floor. In the seven, it moves fore and aft, also has the mechanism to allow access to the third row (which the five does not).

Reactions: jc368 and Kitt9000
Whose White LR X is this heading North I-15 in Temecula California...and Plaid S, and M3Ps...this afternoon.

Screenshot_20220317-195256_Gallery.jpg