Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurers are unlikely to be impressed with a reduced level of security if the car can be left unlocked when previously it couldn’t. Insurance is high enough already!

My insurance on the Tesla is actually cheaper (Progressive) than it was on my BMW 340i. Maybe you should shop around. I've heard that some companies don't have updated models for Teslas, so they charge more than they should.

Reactions: mswlogo
What amazing times we live in when this is something to get upset about.

What an amazing time we live in when people cant comprehend everyone has different needs, wants, and annoyances. Such as a baby inside the home sleeping, neighbors, or a pregnant wife and knowing that this could be easily disabled since Teslas use the onboard GPS for so many things.

Not sure if you know but horns are pretty loud. It disturbs those around it, and under certain circumstances it can be more bothersome to some people as mentioned above.

What an amazing time we live in when people cant comprehend everyone has different needs, wants, and annoyances. Such as a baby inside the home sleeping, neighbors, or a pregnant wife and knowing that this could be easily disabled since Teslas use the onboard GPS for so many things.

Not sure if you know but horns are pretty loud. It disturbs those around it, and under certain circumstances it can be more bothersome to some people as mentioned above.
Absolutely agree that people have different needs my doo. I think this is a great idea. There's just no need for people to get upset about something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: calidreamz808

As for the horn, you can turn that off, making the car lock/unlock silent. As for "easily disabled" I've already posted in this thread as to why this is NOT as trivial as some people think.

You're right, of course, in that we all have different priorities and needs. But sometimes apparently "easy" things to do can be more subtle than they appear on the surface.

It is a bit annoying when my wife forgets to plug the car in and when I do my nightly check I have to go plug it in. Oh wait I have to go back to my bedroom, get my phone, go back to garage, unlock the car, and then plug it in. Or it could just not lock in my garage.
Or just tap on the rear door handle, wait 10 seconds for the car to turn on, then open the charge port cover and plug in. Easy peasy. Works without your cell phone nearby.

Second, geofencing using GPS really isnt all that accurate, and can vary based on climatic conditions (nav systems overcome this with a lot of inertial correction and assumptions about cars being on roads and not in adjoining fields etc). Again, for Sentry Mode that's not too important. But for this disable auto-lock stuff, it can be critical. When 10 feet or less can separate "safe to leave unlocked" and "needs to lock", you are at the very edge of what GPS can provide.

I've never bought this reason. In 2 years of ownership, my HomeLink module has sent the signal to open and close my garage at the exact same spot on my driveway every single time. That's enough resolution to sense inside versus outside the garage for sure.

Also, in however long we've had the ability to disable summon at home (6 months? A year?), I've never had an instance of Sentry activating while in my garage because the car didn't think it was home.

The tech is there. Tesla just needs to make it available.

I've never bought this reason. In 2 years of ownership, my HomeLink module has sent the signal to open and close my garage at the exact same spot on my driveway every single time. That's enough resolution to sense inside versus outside the garage for sure.

Also, in however long we've had the ability to disable summon at home (6 months? A year?), I've never had an instance of Sentry activating while in my garage because the car didn't think it was home.

The tech is there. Tesla just needs to make it available.

I think the issue is not that it can’t sense the same location each and every time, it is that each location will be different for each owner. Some will want it to just be in their garage, others will want it to include their driveway. People in rural areas will want it to be anywhere in their property. It is not as simple as you all think. Adding the basic feature is easy. Defining the extent of the feature and needing to add options for each specific owner is not.

So you are saying you want audible lock confirmation at work but not at home? Or you are willing to leave your car unlocked to avoid it honking and waking someone up? There is a disable audible lock option in the settings.