Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the issue is not that it can’t sense the same location each and every time, it is that each location will be different for each owner. Some will want it to just be in their garage, others will want it to include their driveway. People in rural areas will want it to be anywhere in their property. It is not as simple as you all think. Adding the basic feature is easy. Defining the extent of the feature and needing to add options for each specific owner is not.

I think the car tracks the garage open and closed to if it were set to driveway those that park there would not have the garage auto open likely. Other option is distance and not using the auto open for the garage door, that becomes a variable. A very useful application is for those that do park in a secure garage and want to access the car when home, I find I often do this.

Simple option 1- Car unlocked is triggered by arriving home at X distance
Variable Garage Open On/Off

Reactions: pilotSteve

Attachments

• D0C2E4C3-467B-4F9D-AB67-EED964DF3FB3.jpeg
    D0C2E4C3-467B-4F9D-AB67-EED964DF3FB3.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 62
For all those ridiculous posts on this thread saying that it is too hard for Tesla to do this, that it's unsafe, or that you don't want Tesla to create the option, just because you won't use it, I say, HA! Thbtbtbtbt....! Neener neener! You lose!

Really glad this is coming. Will be a great additional option, and I will use it. Thanks Tesla!

• Love
Reactions: M109Rider
For all those ridiculous posts on this thread saying that it is too hard for Tesla to do this, that it's unsafe, or that you don't want Tesla to create the option, just because you won't use it, I say, HA! Thbtbtbtbt....! Neener neener! You lose!

Really glad this is coming. Will be a great additional option, and I will use it. Thanks Tesla!

I pointed out that the car will not be able to distinguish between being safe in a locked garage and on a driveway or road nearby. So we shall see who has the last laugh on that, shall we?

I also pointed out that as soon as someone has their car broken into because it was unlocked on the driveway (and they weren't aware of this) they will try to deflect the blame to Tesla. I doubt I will have to wait very long...

• Disagree
Reactions: bpobill
I pointed out that the car will not be able to distinguish between being safe in a locked garage and on a driveway or road nearby. So we shall see who has the last laugh on that, shall we?

I also pointed out that as soon as someone has their car broken into because it was unlocked on the driveway (and they weren't aware of this) they will try to deflect the blame to Tesla. I doubt I will have to wait very long...

na na na boo boo, stick your head in doo doo...

We will have to see how this is implemented in the software. If it allows you to set a physical point (gps coordinates) then you could do that while parked in your garage and that would be fine. If it just uses an address and the GPS coordinates of the map dot on Google then that could pose a problem on whether or not the dot is inside the boundary of your house or not and how large the geofence is around that dot. My dot is smack dab in the center of my lot which puts it in the living part of the house, not the garage so there would have to be some +/- number of feet to encompass the garage.

Hopefully someone on early access can test this out and see how far away they can park until the walk away lock activates. Or show us if the software will allow for setting an exact location for where to deactivate.

We will have to see how this is implemented in the software. If it allows you to set a physical point (gps coordinates) then you could do that while parked in your garage and that would be fine. If it just uses an address and the GPS coordinates of the map dot on Google then that could pose a problem on whether or not the dot is inside the boundary of your house or not and how large the geofence is around that dot. My dot is smack dab in the center of my lot which puts it in the living part of the house, not the garage so there would have to be some +/- number of feet to encompass the garage.

Hopefully someone on early access can test this out and see how far away they can park until the walk away lock activates. Or show us if the software will allow for setting an exact location for where to deactivate.
I would guess that it will behave exactly like your geofenced folding mirrors, homelink activation, and sentry mode exclusion.

Agreed, and this was always the challenge, given the jitter inherent in GPS. A lot of the posters in favor of the feature pointed to things like garage door opening as proof it could work, forgetting that a convenience feature like that is far less critical than a feature that leaves the car unlocked.

Simple answer. Don’t use it then. Tesla isn’t forcing it down your throat so move along.

Reactions: M109Rider
As for the horn, you can turn that off, making the car lock/unlock silent. As for "easily disabled" I've already posted in this thread as to why this is NOT as trivial as some people think.

You're right, of course, in that we all have different priorities and needs. But sometimes apparently "easy" things to do can be more subtle than they appear on the surface.

As i always park in my garage this is a welcome feature, if you park outside I guess you just don't enable this option or (Gasp) you lock your doors yourself.

Yeah same here. On occasion I will park in the driveway but only because I am doing something in the garage that requires the space. Fortunately I don't live in an area where I cannot even go inside my house for a moment for fear of people going through my car or something.

I recently installed the latest update and it includes the walk-away door lock with the option of excluding home. Pretty simple, check the box if you want to exclude auto door lock at home. In my case the answer would be yes, check the box and hold the unlocked condition. However I don’t think it is working correctly; I had assumed that this setting would be saved in memory, but experience with this feature to date requires me to go to the vehicle settings screen and check the “exclude” box every time I park in my home garage. The car seems to uncheck the option when I leave and going through the extra screen steps each time I get home makes the walk-away exclusion impractical.

I recently installed the latest update and it includes the walk-away door lock with the option of excluding home. Pretty simple, check the box if you want to exclude auto door lock at home. In my case the answer would be yes, check the box and hold the unlocked condition. However I don’t think it is working correctly; I had assumed that this setting would be saved in memory, but experience with this feature to date requires me to go to the vehicle settings screen and check the “exclude” box every time I park in my home garage. The car seems to uncheck the option when I leave and going through the extra screen steps each time I get home makes the walk-away exclusion impractical.

Hmmm, bummer. Worked fine for me. Maybe have it checked out?

Reactions: txwoodchuck

I'm having this problem too, but only with the "Easy Entry" profile. That one for some reason keeps reverting back to an unchecked box, while all other driver profiles don't have an issue saving the setting. I'm about to just get rid of Easy Entry!

Hmmm, bummer. Worked fine for me. Maybe have it checked out?
My car doesn't go to sleep anymore when I check the exclude auto door lock at home box.

However if I let my car to lock itself (so the exclude auto door lock at home is not set) and then remotely unlock the car, the car goes to sleep.

Note: My dashcam is connected to the cloud, so I receive an alert every time my dashcam is on or off.

Last edited: