Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector shipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was not my understanding, I knew we were installing early and I was happy to spend the money to help out with validation.
In fact they specifically told me they wanted to include me as my wall connector is in a shared apartment garage which is unusual.
I think both the Australian Tesla Team and I thought I would have the car about September or October but it looks like that was not to be, but neither of us knew that at the time.

Looks like they were a bit more upfront with you. I don't think they were being misleading, perhaps just a bit rushed. Overall my interactions with Tesla people has been positive, with a couple of hiccups. My installation cost $2200, and I would have been happy to if they had asked me to and explained the reasons carefully - the time cost of $2200 over 6 months or so is not massive. I would have been happy to let others do it though if my installation was not really necessary for Tesla.

Looks like they were a bit more upfront with you. I don't think they were being misleading, perhaps just a bit rushed. Overall my interactions with Tesla people has been positive, with a couple of hiccups. My installation cost $2200, and I would have been happy to if they had asked me to and explained the reasons carefully - the time cost of $2200 over 6 months or so is not massive. I would have been happy to let others do it though if my installation was not really necessary for Tesla.

so the $2200 was the wall unit and the electrician labour and cables breakers etc ?? that’s actually a really reasonable price if it's all inclusive.

That was not my understanding, I knew we were installing early and I was happy to spend the money to help out with validation.
In fact they specifically told me they wanted to include me as my wall connector is in a shared apartment garage which is unusual.
I think both the Australian Tesla Team and I thought I would have the car about September or October but it looks like that was not to be, but neither of us knew that at the time.
in fact, initially we were told we likely would get our cars in July. I mentioned I would be overseas during August, and was told that would likely be when the launch would be. Yeah right! The local team may well have been mislead by head office, which might explain the caution now.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i spent $50 on a new 15amp powerpoint, and a favour from a coworker with his electrical license ... for the 10amp charger that came with it. but I spent $2000 on a J1772 32amp EVSE for my in-laws place.
10amp charger? They are supplying the wall connector as standard in Australia. Included in the price of the car. No mobile connector as standard. Unless, of course there has been yet another change of direction? My understanding was that down the track, a mobile connector would become available as an optional extra.

10amp charger? They are supplying the wall connector as standard in Australia. Included in the price of the car. No mobile connector as standard. Unless, of course there has been yet another change of direction? My understanding was that down the track, a mobile connector would become available as an optional extra.
sorry I meant for the current car (i-miev) not the Tesla..I would hope they throw in the mobile connector for free.

The wall connector was 'free'. All I had to do was buy a Model S to get it! I thought the installation cost was quite reasonable as I have a very long cable run (and 50A cable can't be cheap) with indoor and outdoor segments and overhead conduits. I also had to have some modifications to my connection to the grid to increase the current I could get to the house - I'm not exactly sure what was involved though. Took 2 guys about 6 hours.

My wall connector has been shipped and just received an email from Mitchell with the following comment.

[FONT=&quot]"As you have optioned Dual Chargers in your Models S we advise you pre-wire to suit the more powerful Wall Connectors expected Q1 2015". [/FONT]

Does anyone know about these more powerful Wall Connectors?

My son is doing the install but it will only be temporary because I am moving in 12 months.

My wall connector has been shipped and just received an email from Mitchell with the following comment.

[FONT=&amp]"As you have optioned Dual Chargers in your Models S we advise you pre-wire to suit the more powerful Wall Connectors expected Q1 2015". [/FONT]

Does anyone know about these more powerful Wall Connectors?

My son is doing the install but it will only be temporary because I am moving in 12 months.

The more powerful wall connectors next year will either be three phase 32A or 80A single phase. Therefore if you have 3 phase power to your house it makes sense to run a three phase cable from your board to the charger position, but only actually connect up 1 phase for now for the single phase charger. If you only have single phase then maybe size the cable for the larger load (but 80A is a very large single phase load).

The more powerful wall connectors next year will either be three phase 32A or 80A single phase. Therefore if you have 3 phase power to your house it makes sense to run a three phase cable from your board to the charger position, but only actually connect up 1 phase for now for the single phase charger. If you only have single phase then maybe size the cable for the larger load (but 80A is a very large single phase load).

Also, in Perth a "standard supply" is only 63A single phase or 32A 3-phase (ref Western Power: Your residential connection ) neither of which is enough to charge Model S at full rate, at least not if you want any other electric devices in your house... :)

My wall connector is on its way to me as well. I have the garage pre-wired for 3-phase and will run the connector of a dedicated single phase (at 32A) for now, and probably do 16A 3-phase when I get the new connector - which Mitchell told me to expect late in the first quarter (ie March)

btw I know the charge ports on our cars are compatible with Mennekes (with minor changes to also allow supercharging - allow longer pins etc) - does that mean our wall connector can be used to charge other Mennekes-equipped EVs without an adaptor?

Also, in Perth a "standard supply" is only 63A single phase or 32A 3-phase (ref Western Power: Your residential connection ) neither of which is enough to charge Model S at full rate, at least not if you want any other electric devices in your house... :)

My wall connector is on its way to me as well. I have the garage pre-wired for 3-phase and will run the connector of a dedicated single phase (at 32A) for now, and probably do 16A 3-phase when I get the new connector - which Mitchell told me to expect late in the first quarter (ie March)

btw I know the charge ports on our cars are compatible with Mennekes (with minor changes to also allow supercharging - allow longer pins etc) - does that mean our wall connector can be used to charge other Mennekes-equipped EVs without an adaptor?
Only if the other EV has an on board charger. The wall unit is a connector, not a charger.

Bit of a thread necro here, but I have not been able to find information anywhere else.

The question is, can we put our wall chargers on Off Peak controlled load 1? From my reading, because it is hardwired, it is allowed. However, it means the appliance doesn't receive power for some of the day. Is this an issue? The only problem I can see is if the wall charger needs to be turned on each time it loses power. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Bit of a thread necro here, but I have not been able to find information anywhere else.

The question is, can we put our wall chargers on Off Peak controlled load 1? From my reading, because it is hardwired, it is allowed. However, it means the appliance doesn't receive power for some of the day. Is this an issue? The only problem I can see is if the wall charger needs to be turned on each time it loses power. Anyone able to enlighten me?
If you are connected to Ausgrid then yes you can but you need a contactor to take the load as the one in your meter box will only switch 20A total. I have controlled load 2 connected to my charger and it is active most of the day, just not between about 6pm and 11pm. The car will simply say that it's ready to charge but to check the power to the charger. The benefit is that you don't have to move to time of day charging to get cheaper off peak rates - in my case 16c/ kWh.

I think that is a question you need to ask of your energy supplier. Controlled loads generally refer to off peak hot water services, and I'm not sure your supplier will be happy for you to add another load to that circuit.
I have a time of use meter and simply set the Model S to start charging at 10PM.