Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP's actual concern for their buyer's remorse remained allusive, which generated some interesting and sometimes angry responses. I found this entertaining but also concerning due to the numerous negative assumptions directed toward the OP.

Was this a genuine person? Maybe it's slugworth!?

I refrained from adding to the speculation. Once the OP returned and provided more detail, I jumped in and offered my support.

The OP's concerns are interesting, however I found the commentary about who he was and his intentions more captivating and amusing despite some of the negativity - kind of like reading those crazy magazine headlines in the checkout aisle. I couldn't look away for some reason.

Hope things work out for the OP.
I think just people don't like it when someone asks a question (without sufficient detail to answer it) and then disappear. In this case the OP came back, but we've had cases where the OP disappears completely and people feel they wasted their time. Likely people are projecting their previous experiences to here.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Why cap it at 75 mph? Why not 4mph? Then it will be totally safe...

I regularly drive faster than 75 mph and Mercedes even offers auto steer, lane change and TACC up to 120mph.

I'd be ok with 100 mph, maybe even 90, but 75 is way too low.
As software for AP2 hardware has been improved, they have gradually increased the allowed speeds. Perhaps they will eventually allow it to work above 85 mph.

85 mph is the maximum speed allowed in the US. Perhaps they could change the maximum AP speed to be dependent on the country maximum but 120 mph isn't "needed" in the US.

512px-US_Speed_Limits_May_2015.svg.png

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.
2) the voice on the nav is so quiet, that even on 11 i can hardly hear it if the music it turned up just a bit.
3) slacker radio is complete *sugar*. Every time i try to tell it to play a song, it plays a completely different song. it never gets it right.
4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

for these reasons I'm unhappy with the car. i have a Hyundai genesis g80 as well and i find that car so much more user friendly.
  1. This is by design. AP disengages and puts you in a penalty box for turning it on above 90 MPH. Hyundai Genesis does not have a comparable feature at any price.
  2. Voice volume is adjustable by hitting the volume icon at the top of your turn-by-turn list on the center screen, or by scrolling up/down using your left scroll wheel while the voice is speaking.
  3. Slacker is working as designed. If the song is in their database, it plays the song. If it is not, it plays similar songs like Pandora. This has everything to do with Slacker and nothing to do with Tesla. And by the way, this feature is free for four years. Hyundai Genesis does not have a comparable feature at any price.
  4. Too many variables here to even begin, but the reason Tesla gives you the option to stream using your phone is because they know Slacker won't satisfy everyone and that there are many of us with music libraries in iTunes, Spotify, etc.
If the esoteric aspects of these features were so important to you, why did you not determine whether actual functionality met your needs before purchasing the vehicle? Regardless, your stated dissatisfaction does not constitute a reason for Tesla to allow a return/refund or for your state to allow a Lemon claim. This is basic shopping stuff.

Last edited:
How prevalent is buyer's remorse for fellow Tesla owners?

I have tons of complains with the car, mainly UI/Media Player stuff, and minor serviceable issues. But if I went back in time knowing these complaints, I'd buy the same car again, with no doubts in mind at all. If I had the money today, I'll again get a new Model S no doubt. Well, may be I will wait for an interior refresh.
I'm sure a huge majority of owners fall in the same bucket as me.

ok here are the list of problems that i have had, and please if you're just going to attack me again don't bother replying.

1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.
2) the voice on the nav is so quiet, that even on 11 i can hardly hear it if the music it turned up just a bit.
3) slacker radio is complete *sugar*. Every time i try to tell it to play a song, it plays a completely different song. it never gets it right.
4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

for these reasons I'm unhappy with the car. i have a Hyundai genesis g80 as well and i find that car so much more user friendly.
I have trouble not LOL @ Hyundai, but that's out of ignorance and bias due to a 1986 Hyundai Stellar that killed my soul. I haven't looked at that company since.

Re: point #1 - I'm with you... that's stupid. Not that it won't work at those speeds, but that it treats you like a baby. Dumb.
Re: point #2 - Simple. You either have a defect (get it fixed) or you're mistaking the volume settings. Either way, no biggie.
Re: point #3 - That seems odd to me. I've been blown away with how accurate and robust it is. I get the exact song I want... every time. Granted, I've only used it for a few days (got the car on Saturday)
Re: point #4 - no comment.

I'm reading up on what Hyundai Genesis G80, the OPs previous model, can do. Pretty impressive stuff actually
How much range does it get on a charge? I get your point, of course, but to me anyone that considers a Tesla wouldn't be considering any ICE. If one just wants luxury, then there's lots of choice.

Tesla is not a luxury car and in my opinion you will be disappointed if you expect that it is. I do not see how you can miss this point if you do a test drive. If you didn't spend time with the car before buying, then that is not on Tesla.
100%. There's really no excuse for not trying before you buy. That's why the concept of a return is so ridiculous. If there's something WRONG with it, get it fixed. If you just didn't check it out prior to buying, well...

AP should be disabled at 10 miles over speed limit and cap it at 75mph. If you have a need to speed temporarily to pass a vehicle, disable AP manually, do the deed and turn AP back on.

I know this will get a lot of disagrees, from the same folks that cry AP is trying to kill them at any speeds.
And you should get disagrees, but mine will be from a logical point of view. By your logic, the car (in fact any car) shouldn't have the power or ability to ever go above the speed limit. People abuse technology... technology doesn't beckon abuse. Hate the game, don't hate the player (etc, etc).

How prevalent is buyer's remorse for fellow Tesla owners?
It should be zero. Be annoyed with some things, sure, but buyer's remorse shouldn't exist for something this expensive which *should* have been preceded by careful research and thorough testing. There shouldn't be a surprise other than defect, which is what a warranty is for.

Reactions: Tony8489
10 Pages of insanity so far. Lotta jerks, lotta nice guys, lotta advice. Suprised the OP even came back after reading some of your responses. My ONLY question for @robertjs is how did you purchase the car?

For example, were you in a mall and went to the Tesla store and sat in a showroom floor car, played with it some, then purchased it with the sales staff? Did you go to a service center and meet with someone after submitting a "lead" on the internet? Does someone you know have a Tesla and you've been in it a few times and thus decided to build one out and buy it on the Tesla.com site?

Your entire purchase experience will probably clue us all in on your state of mind when buying the car. Perhaps you were lied to or misled, perhaps you didn't do enough or any research. We won't know unless you describe your process to us, and perhaps someone will be able to relate to you and offer you some situational advice!

Reactions: Tony8489
The car is yours. There is no return because you have buyer's remorse.

The one exception to this is that IF you leased it, there is -- or, at least there used to be -- a feature in the Tesla lease that you can return the car within 90 days if you are unhappy with it "for any reason." It's called the "Happiness Guarantee." There are some restrictions on future purchases and future leases, but otherwise it is a rather broad and flexible provision. My lease (written in September 2015) has it but i do not know if Tesla leases still have that feature.

As software for AP2 hardware has been improved, they have gradually increased the allowed speeds. Perhaps they will eventually allow it to work above 85 mph.

85 mph is the maximum speed allowed in the US. Perhaps they could change the maximum AP speed to be dependent on the country maximum but 120 mph isn't "needed" in the US.

512px-US_Speed_Limits_May_2015.svg.png

Well, if they want to sell it in Europe, they better increase it to 85 as well.

And to be successful in Germany, EAP needs to work at speeds up to 100mph, better even beyond. My AP1 can do 90 mph and that's fine for what it should do. Still annoying in some instances and far from what other systems can do, even the Golf can have TACC activated up to 100 mph. But 75 is way too low for a feature I mostly use on highways (Autobahn in Germany and Austria mostly, so speed limits between 90 mph and light speed).

Are you sure we are ready for that? With my Audi I also cruised along with 150mph (stupid thing wouldn't hit 155 ;) ).

But when doing this, I want to be in control. With the stage EAP is in, you need to be able to respond to an error the system makes. With 85 this is different than with 155mph. Since 85Mph is an acceptable speed in 95% of the world, I would rather have them focus on mastering that speed, than to put time in something not many people would use.

I agree this should be able in the future, but I don't expect this within 5 years.

I have tons of complains with the car, mainly UI/Media Player stuff, and minor serviceable issues. But if I went back in time knowing these complaints, I'd buy the same car again, with no doubts in mind at all. If I had the money today, I'll again get a new Model S no doubt. Well, may be I will wait for an interior refresh.
I'm sure a huge majority of owners fall in the same bucket as me.

I totally agree! Some people confuse having some issues with hating the whole car. Generally the S is the best car I've ever had, but it's also the one with the worst build quality, the worst phone integration and not really the most advanced when it comes to driver assistance features and it's more expensive than it's competitors.

It's also one of the sexiest, quickest, most practical and most fun to drive car among the competition. And it does a lot of things very well. So it isn't perfect, but it's far from bad.

Are you sure we are ready for that? With my Audi I also cruised along with 150mph (stupid thing wouldn't hit 155 ;) ).

But when doing this, I want to be in control. With the stage EAP is in, you need to be able to respond to an error the system makes. With 85 this is different than with 155mph. Since 85Mph is an acceptable speed in 95% of the world, I would rather have them focus on mastering that speed, than to put time in something not many people would use.

I agree this should be able in the future, but I don't expect this within 5 years.

That's not the point here, though.

Few have a problem with Autopilot disengaging at 90+ mph. So be, it has a limit.

The problem is, it will disable the whole thing until you park!

Insanity. It should simply disengage.

AP should be disabled at 10 miles over speed limit and cap it at 75mph. If you have a need to speed temporarily to pass a vehicle, disable AP manually, do the deed and turn AP back on.

I know this will get a lot of disagrees, from the same folks that cry AP is trying to kill them at any speeds.
I "liked" this post because of the disable/re-enable advice. I disagree with the 10 miles over, I think what Tesla has done so far (<85mph, or 90mph not sure which) is fine. IMHO driving over that speed should be DRIVING, not spectating.

Well, if they want to sell it in Europe, they better increase it to 85 as well.

And to be successful in Germany, EAP needs to work at speeds up to 100mph, better even beyond. My AP1 can do 90 mph and that's fine for what it should do. Still annoying in some instances and far from what other systems can do, even the Golf can have TACC activated up to 100 mph. But 75 is way too low for a feature I mostly use on highways (Autobahn in Germany and Austria mostly, so speed limits between 90 mph and light speed).

At what speed do you outrun the radar's ability to analyze a threat then apply AEB effectively around a gentle corner or rise or with another car blocking the view? Is it in the owner's manual? Or is it something you learn by accident?

Best I can tell, the effective range of modern ACC radar is about 120m. It can 'see' further but not all the time. Only somebody who is not concerned for their safety would consider 120m at 160kmh plenty of room for all driving situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra
The one exception to this is that IF you leased it, there is -- or, at least there used to be -- a feature in the Tesla lease that you can return the car within 90 days if you are unhappy with it "for any reason." It's called the "Happiness Guarantee." There are some restrictions on future purchases and future leases, but otherwise it is a rather broad and flexible provision. My lease (written in September 2015) has it but i do not know if Tesla leases still have that feature.

That's not an exception. The OP didn't 'lease' the car based on his post. He bought it. So, yeah.. no returns if you bought it.

Forcing the driver to pull over somewhere out of frustration could have devastating consequences.

So could certain people not getting their coffee before 6am. :rolleyes: Seriously, strawman much?

Nothing is 'forcing' the driver to pull over. They are simply not being allowed to engage AP during that driving session until they pull over. Perhaps having some time to think about the stupidity of the action they just tried will remind them in the future not to try it again.

Clearly some people need to be shown how reckless they are behind the steering wheel that they'd think it's a good idea to endanger other people by using AP significantly over the speed limit. Yeah, don't care about the few places on the planet where the speed limit is 85+. No excuse to be taking your hands off the steering wheel at this stage of AP development at those kinds of speeds. Go find a private back road or rent a racetrack to tempt fate and leave the rest of us out of your death wish.

Unfortunately it is typical, it is a feature in the later versions - the OP probably got the number just wrong, I think the limit is 90 mph.I guess the complaint is, turning AP on is not only impossible at over a certain mph, doing so will disable AP for the duration of the journey (until you park). There is critical thread of this on TMC: Autopilot punishment

I mean, Tesla could just disable AP at speeds exceeding certain limit, but allow resuming once you resume lower speeds. Right?

You're 100% right, it's a quite silly "punishment" to not allow you resuming AP until you've been in 'Park' mode.

Not a reason for which I would ever ask Tesla to buy back my car though :)