Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING against Michelin Cross Climate+ Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks buddy for your warning. I am still wondering what it would be like when installing 4 crossclimate.
One choice is safe bud older design with Pirelli all season while the other one is new design, Michelin Crossclimate SUV. which one would you choose? Open for suggestion?

The crossclimates are such a drastic tread pattern, that I have no doubt it contributed to that change in the efficiency.

Thanks buddy for your warning. I am still wondering what it would be like when installing 4 crossclimate.
One choice is safe bud older design with Pirelli all season while the other one is new design, Michelin Crossclimate SUV. which one would you choose? Open for suggestion?

I'd chose the Pirelli All Season with a proven mileage and performance record.

Reactions: Lhshockey24
You should never mix different tires on an AWD vehicle.

That is due to typical cars having a center differential that is not up the the task of a constant speed difference between the front and rear tires. Since the front and rear are completely decoupled on a Tesla, that is not a factor. Instead, you 'only' have the issues of ABS and traction control needing to deal with different wheel speeds.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to share my experience in a similar situation. I discovered that inside edge of my rear tires on my Model X were chewed up and my tire place was nice enough to give me 2 loaner rear tires (Falkens) until the CrossClimate SUVs came in. Fronts were still the OEM Continentials. Autopilot was not happy, pingponging back and forth in the lane. Driving manually was a little difficult as well, requiring much more concentration than normal driving. They settled in a little bit after ~200 miles but still not good.

Replaced all 4 tires with CrossClimate SUVs and autopilot was fine immediately after installing.

I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to share my experience in a similar situation. I discovered that inside edge of my rear tires on my Model X were chewed up and my tire place was nice enough to give me 2 loaner rear tires (Falkens) until the CrossClimate SUVs came in. Fronts were still the OEM Continentials. Autopilot was not happy, pingponging back and forth in the lane. Driving manually was a little difficult as well, requiring much more concentration than normal driving. They settled in a little bit after ~200 miles but still not good.

Replaced all 4 tires with CrossClimate SUVs and autopilot was fine immediately after installing.

@Key-Master How do you like the CrossClimate's so far with the X? Any noticeable range or noise hit? I'm considering them for our X.

I have 4x Crossclimates on my Model X. I have the 20inch wheels.

There are no weird handling issues. Frankly the original title on this thread is highly misleading. It is clearly due to mixing very different tyres on the car and not a problem with Crossclimates. Warning against mixing tyres would be better.

The OEM tyres for me in Europe were Michelin Latitude Sports. It only snows rarely here, but I did not feel confident on the Michelins in snow. They would struggle with the slope on my driveway with just a few millimetres of snow.

Despite not having acoustic foam, I find them quieter than the OEM tyres. This is mainly at town speeds, at motorway speeds, they seem similar.

There may be an increase in electricity consumption, but I have not tracked it closely enough to confirm. Energy consumption on a Model X is so low compared to a similarly sized and performing ICE SUV that I wouldn't worry about it.

Just bought some NEXEN tire for the X. Amazing, quiet ride. Great handling. $167 for the front. $169 for the back.
What a deal. Found out this tire company has been making tires since 1932. Will test them out on the race track soon.

To my knowledge there are only two brands of tires APPROVED for the Model X. Continental and Pirelli
Anything else can put you at risk.

I agree the Continentals are worthless. Got about 20,000 miles before blowout and long tow. Continental would do NOTHING about.
Told me to get lost.

I have Continentals on my new RAVEN and can't wait for them to wear and replace with Pirellis. Not sure why Tesla chooses these substandard tires.

After Continental failures, had Pirellis on my 2016 Model X and they still had 6-7 of tread after 20,000 miles. Great tire. Great ride and guaranteed to 65,000 miles. $222 at Discount Tire vs. $400 for Continentals crap at TESLA NO BRAINER!

View attachment 449068
Those are the tires I got for my MX. 10,000 miles on them new. Really like them.

Finally thoughts on cross climate 2s vs the Pirellis?

Just lost my two rear tires to lovely NYC nails in the bloody tread. Going to replace all 4 tires anyways so trying to find the best (most comfortable ride and quiet) tires

What is the speed rating on your Crossclimate? I only see 108H which is much lower then Conti’s 108Y for the front.

QUOTE="MrAliG, post: 5101669, member: 50446"]I have 4x Crossclimates on my Model X. I have the 20inch wheels.

There are no weird handling issues. Frankly the original title on this thread is highly misleading. It is clearly due to mixing very different tyres on the car and not a problem with Crossclimates. Warning against mixing tyres would be better.

The OEM tyres for me in Europe were Michelin Latitude Sports. It only snows rarely here, but I did not feel confident on the Michelins in snow. They would struggle with the slope on my driveway with just a few millimetres of snow.

Despite not having acoustic foam, I find them quieter than the OEM tyres. This is mainly at town speeds, at motorway speeds, they seem similar.

There may be an increase in electricity consumption, but I have not tracked it closely enough to confirm. Energy consumption on a Model X is so low compared to a similarly sized and performing ICE SUV that I wouldn't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Jeff N and hpartsch
Sorry I just saw this

New What is the speed rating on your Crossclimate? I only see 108H which is much lower then Conti’s 108Y for the front

I have Crossclimate SUVs. My car has 255/45W20 on the front. They are 105W rated versus 105Y rated for the original Latitude Sport 3 acoustics. That is an ample top speed rating of 168mph

The rears are 275/45Y20 so the same 110Y rating as the OEM tyres.

I checked the tyres and the Michelin website just in case.

Tire recall: Continental needs to check 94,000 tires for possible tread loss
At least 203 tires are defective, the company said, but it needs to recall nearly 100,000 tires to be sure.
The issue at hand is the possibility for partial or total tread loss resulting from potential sudden air loss or belt edge separation.

This is exactly what happened to my Continental tire on my 2016 Model X at 70 mph. Rapid decompression. I was fortunate to battle steer it to a safe stop and wait several hours for a flatbed tow to Tesla. You might not be as lucky.

As I have said before. "Continental is the most expensive cheap tire you can buy."

Buyer Beware: Do you really want to risk your and your families' safety? I wouldn't trust these tires, even on my lawnmower.