TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WARNING: v8 Cabin Overheat Protection feature NOT for pets

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Cosmacelf, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I don't really have much of an opinion about the 105 degree part of the press release (no kids of pets here), but am much more interested in the part that mentions the feature working on a fully charged battery pack for a year...

I know that absolutely cannot be true because my Model S wears down the battery pack from near full to about 35 miles left in 6 weeks of storage without the new feature (or anything else) being turned on (this is even with the energy saving feature turned on)...The vampire losses are still way too high for my liking...

• Like x 1
  2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

So true, also a 12v battery failure is likely to happen before the year is up. The lead acid AGM battery is always a weak point in longevity/reliability calculations.

Still I could see the car staying at the 105F set point day after day (the system wouldn't have to work during the colder part of the night).

I know after 8.1 should I get my hands on one I'd set mine lower than 105F but just as a luxury item, not as a safety concern.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Um, does it matter? Anything living stuck in a car for longer than a few weeks won't be living anymore...

I suspect it is typical Tesla hyperbole that doesn't take into account vampire losses or other real world issues.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. jonman

jonman Member

when i was a k9 handler we were required to leave out partner in the car unless needed for response, reg also mandated to leave the vehicle running with AC full blast. no exceptions.

• Informative x 1
  5. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Thankfully my car doesn't seem to have the same vampire losses. With always connected turned on and energy saver turned off, I've left it for over two weeks (but under three) and come back with it having lost only about 50 miles.

6. mhan00

mhan00 Member

It's a fail-safe. That should be common sense, since nobody would think 105 degree temps would be at all comfortable for children or pets left in the car. Not until 8.1 when the min/max temps can be customized could it be considered a feature to let an owner leave their children or pets in the car deliberately.

7. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Leaving a child or a dog in a car unattended is inviting someone to come along and smash your window. It is extremely unlikely that a passerby will understand how a Tesla works and that the child or dog is trying to be kept below 105 degrees.

While the Tesla just might work exactly as intended and keep the temp below 105, is it worth the chance that it might have a failure or a fault? The consequences are catastrophic and irreversible if something should go wrong. This is just a little too much like the negligent drivers that decide that AP is really close enough to an autonomous driving program that it is worth trusting it. The consequences of that faulty decision in Florida led to disaster.

So this is a great safety feature that should never be tested or used intentionally. If at some point in the future it manages to save the life of someone or a pet, then fantastic, it did what it was supposed to do and everyone can sing its praises. The last thing I want to see is someone mistakenly trusting the system and something goes wrong and we get national headlines for weeks on end.

• Like x 1
  8. Hengist

Hengist Member

Obviously it is not too hot. I spent decades in Southern California in the era where air conditioning was something in stores, not in houses. People and animals are quite able to live in that ambient temperature.

9. KublaConn

KublaConn Member

Really? It's hot & humid in Houston? I hadn't really noticed. Must be all this insanely oxygen-rich air I'm breathing, down here at sea level. :p