Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: v8 Cabin Overheat Protection feature NOT for pets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really have much of an opinion about the 105 degree part of the press release (no kids of pets here), but am much more interested in the part that mentions the feature working on a fully charged battery pack for a year...

I know that absolutely cannot be true because my Model S wears down the battery pack from near full to about 35 miles left in 6 weeks of storage without the new feature (or anything else) being turned on (this is even with the energy saving feature turned on)...The vampire losses are still way too high for my liking...

Reactions: Cyclone
I don't really have much of an opinion about the 105 degree part of the press release (no kids of pets here), but am much more interested in the part that mentions the feature working on a fully charged battery pack for a year...

I know that absolutely cannot be true because my Model S wears down the battery pack from near full to about 35 miles left in 6 weeks of storage without the new feature (or anything else) being turned on (this is even with the energy saving feature turned on)...The vampire losses are still way too high for my liking...

So true, also a 12v battery failure is likely to happen before the year is up. The lead acid AGM battery is always a weak point in longevity/reliability calculations.

Still I could see the car staying at the 105F set point day after day (the system wouldn't have to work during the colder part of the night).

I know after 8.1 should I get my hands on one I'd set mine lower than 105F but just as a luxury item, not as a safety concern.

Thankfully my car doesn't seem to have the same vampire losses. With always connected turned on and energy saver turned off, I've left it for over two weeks (but under three) and come back with it having lost only about 50 miles.

It's a fail-safe. That should be common sense, since nobody would think 105 degree temps would be at all comfortable for children or pets left in the car. Not until 8.1 when the min/max temps can be customized could it be considered a feature to let an owner leave their children or pets in the car deliberately.

Leaving a child or a dog in a car unattended is inviting someone to come along and smash your window. It is extremely unlikely that a passerby will understand how a Tesla works and that the child or dog is trying to be kept below 105 degrees.

While the Tesla just might work exactly as intended and keep the temp below 105, is it worth the chance that it might have a failure or a fault? The consequences are catastrophic and irreversible if something should go wrong. This is just a little too much like the negligent drivers that decide that AP is really close enough to an autonomous driving program that it is worth trusting it. The consequences of that faulty decision in Florida led to disaster.

So this is a great safety feature that should never be tested or used intentionally. If at some point in the future it manages to save the life of someone or a pet, then fantastic, it did what it was supposed to do and everyone can sing its praises. The last thing I want to see is someone mistakenly trusting the system and something goes wrong and we get national headlines for weeks on end.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Yes, the weather is wonderful here! Love the desert. I spent a few summers in Houston. THAT is hell on earth IMHO. 90% humidity and 105 degrees. Ugh. Air conditioning was literally a life saver down there. I have no idea how people colonized that area back in the day.

Really? It's hot & humid in Houston? I hadn't really noticed. Must be all this insanely oxygen-rich air I'm breathing, down here at sea level. :p