Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The towing is much better than "50 miles from home". Read it carefully -- Tesla will cover all the towing costs needed to get your car repaired, regardless of where the breakdown occurs (in the US or Canada).

AAA just towed my Goldwing 90 miles after I lost my key. I doubt that Tesla would tow your car for such a distance in similar circumstances. That said, it would be fairly rare.

I just don't see how they can say with a straight face that EVs have so much less maintenance and then require maintenance costs exceeding most cars, even spendy ones. The maintenance on my AMG averages less than $500 every 10,000 miles. That's with oil, transmission, etc. etc. etc. Towing isn't included, but AAA is very reasonable.

No. It specifically doesn't have to be someone qualified. Well, unless you want the car to work afterwards. But the manufacturer is prohibited (by law) from requiring that it be someone qualified as a condition of keeping the warranty in force.
Ok, so I don't understand your concern then on Tesla's service requirements. By law you can have anyone work on the car and let Tesla prove it wasn't sufficient if there's ever a warranty question.

Ok, so I don't understand your concern then on Tesla's service requirements. By law you can have anyone work on the car and let Tesla prove it wasn't sufficient if there's ever a warranty question.

Tesla has stated that if you don't do an annual service at Tesla (or maybe a Tesla Certified Mechanic, according to you), the warranty will be void. This is illegal for them to require.

Anyway you look at it Model S is a performance car with state-of-the-art technology.

I'm not going to give him:

ConfusedMechanic.jpg

One of these:

Battery_Tester_MT_500A_604.jpg

And let him loose on my Model S! :wink:

Tesla has stated that if you don't do an annual service at Tesla (or maybe a Tesla Certified Mechanic, according to you), the warranty will be void. This is illegal for them to require.
I didn't state the bit about Tesla Certified, George B did. If that requirement is illegal then again we're back to you can use whoever you'd like and fight any battles if and when there's a warranty issue.
Your car needs to be serviced by a current, Tesla Certified mechanic to make sure it is working properly and to maintain the warranty on your car.

I hope this post helps clarify the majority of questions about Tesla Service. I think if you step back and look at our plans, you will see that they are not simply “wiper blades and fluids” as one post suggested. We provide 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Towing, Loaner Cars, Wear and Tear parts, Wheel Alignments, Tire Rotation, Software Updates, and something I haven’t even touched on that seems to have been totally lost in the shuffle from Joost’s blog – New Features.

I know some of you were very clear in your posts that you don’t care about “creep”, or some of the other features that we are planning to add, but perhaps another family member, or someone else who drives the car from time-to-time might like one of them. If nothing else, the added features might be attractive to a future buyer when the time comes to sell your car, which might make it worth more at that time. There’s no way to tell, but we think the ability to continue to enhance your car with new features, even after you take delivery, is a big step forward and one that sets Model S apart from all other cars. We believe “New Features” are an important part of Tesla Service.

Thanks GeorgeB for your very detailed post, timely and clear as always. It does help me refocus after the many questions raised since Joost's blog.

As you point out, the "New Features" portion of the blog seems to have gone under the radar and it's still unclear to me what later additions will fall under this category. If, say, motorized side mirrors, front parking sensors, adaptive cruise control (just to name a few) become options for Model S 2.0 in 2014, will my Model S 1.0 be retrofitted with these at no cost to me (having the service agreement, of course)?

If this is so, then the Service Agreement with Tesla has a huge plus that needs to be played up. What these "New Features" are is probably an unknown (other than creep) but it would be of great benefit to those undecided on going with vs. skipping the service agreement to get a better sense on what future feature may (or may not) fall in this bucket.

I didn't state the bit about Tesla Certified, George B did. If that requirement is illegal then again we're back to you can use whoever you'd like and fight any battles if and when there's a warranty issue.

I think you're missing my point. I will be using a Tesla Service Center that's 10 miles from my house. My point is that Tesla is opening themselves up to FTC fines and/or other enforcement actions if they go ahead with what George is saying they will do.

I am pretty set on taking my car to the dealer for service during the warranty period (except tires). This is just smart. Even though they don't do that good a job, and cost more, your warranty is 100% rock solid.

After your warranty expires I take my car to a local shop (actually my tire place) to change the oil. And I take it to a BMW, MB, VW shop for all other work, or do it myself.

With the Tesla (and 40kWh pack) I am probably looking at 8 services (I'll do one right before the warranty expires) at $600 bucks (I'll prepay the first 5, but I expect the last 5 to cost a bit more), gives me $4,800. Which is about double what my GTI has cost over 110,000 miles (granted my brakes, and spark plugs, and clutch are all very close to end of life, and are going to be a pretty penny).

Granted the Model S is a $65,000 car, and the GTI was a $22,000 car. But I was expecting costs inline with my most current car. And remember we still don't know about data packages for the Model S yet either, which I assume will be ~$30 a month on top. I am hoping for Bluetooth SIM access profile, so I can use my current plan in the car. Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I don't think it will happen though. :frown:

Given that tire rotation and alignment must be performed at a service center, I'm debating whether it's worth the 3 hour drive for me to bring my car to a service center for those features, or if I should just go for the ranger service. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

For the extra $100 for unlimited Ranger service, I think it's a no-brainer--even if you live close to a centre. Unlimited also includes on trips as far as I can tell.

+1. I think we've reached our monthly quota of making problems where there are none. October will be a new month.

You know, I stayed silent for a month or so because of my inability to stay away from comments like this. Frankly, these kind of comments enrage me.

People have valid and legitimate concerns about what Tesla is implementing and how they are going about doing it. They have good reason to voice their opinions. This is not an issue of making problems where there are none -- that's your opinion. Personally, I don't have too many concerns about the service plan other than its implementation and price are direct contradictions of an assertion that Tesla made moons ago. However, I can understand the concerns people have.

Just because you have little or no concerns does not invalidate what others are feeling.

Last edited:
That clarifies quite a bit, but basically confirms what others have stated. I dont know why emphasis is being placed on brakes because I havent seen ANY car not used for constant racing that needs brakes before 50k miles.

I would have though that too, but the VW TDI I had went through brakes and rotors every 30,000 miles--no racing, just normal driving, mostly commuting. Of course, the regular inspections didn't catch it. However, I can't see any car with regenerative brakes needing brakes that soon. My 2004 Prius is at 140,000 miles and is still on the first set.

Last edited:
You know, I stayed silent for a month or so because of my inability to stay away from comments like this. Frankly, these kind of comments enrage me.

People have valid and legitimate concerns about what Tesla is implementing and how they are going about doing it. They have good reason to voice their opinions. This is not an issue of making problems where there are none -- that's your opinion. Personally, I don't have too many concerns about the service plan other than its implementation and price are direct contradictions of an assertion that Tesla made moons ago. However, I can understand the concerns people have.

Just because you have little or no concerns does not invalidate what others are feeling.

Kevin, I understand your point. But do you see mine? People state their concerns & then we go off, WAY off, on a tangent based on no knowledge. It turns into outrage. That's MY point.

I've acknowledged in the threads that better communication would have helped. But seriously, if you are "enraged" over this comment of mine, sorry. I save my rage for things that really matter. And so far, I've yet to see anything on this forum that would qualify.

And while I acknowledge EVERYONE'S right to voice an opinion, hopefully you extend that same right to me. I voiced mine and that upset you.

Re: Brakes If you know anyone who has delivered pizzas, you'll know they go through brakes pretty quick! I would think taxis need frequent brake service as well.

Yellow Cab President Kulwant Sahota says "We change the brakes on a Toyota Corolla every seven to eight weeks, but on a Prius we change the brakes every 18 months or so,"

I can't see the Model S being worse that the Prius as far as brakes go unless you race it.

I think you're missing my point. I will be using a Tesla Service Center that's 10 miles from my house. My point is that Tesla is opening themselves up to FTC fines and/or other enforcement actions if they go ahead with what George is saying they will do.
Yea, I did miss your point. I was thinking in terms of the cost issues folks were upset about and talking about doing maintenance away from Tesla.

As far as fines or penalties from the FTC, I wasn't going there, though obviously that'd be something Tesla should make sure they avoid.

Kevin, I understand your point. But do you see mine? People state their concerns & then we go off, WAY off, on a tangent based on no knowledge. It turns into outrage.
How is any of this based on no knowledge? Did you read GB's entire post? I realize that in your eyes Tesla can do no wrong, but these are very legitimate concerns. What other auto manufacturer or any manufacturer for that matter throw in substantial new costs after thousands of buyers have already bought their product expecting minimal maintenance as was stated before?I cannot think of one that does that and expects to stay in business long.

This will be my last response about this, only because it shouldn't propagate. :smile:

Kevin, I understand your point. But do you see mine?

I see your point. I see how threads get out of hand.

But seriously, if you are "enraged" over this comment of mine, sorry. I save my rage for things that really matter. And so far, I've yet to see anything on this forum that would qualify.

And that is my point: just because you don't see anything that qualifies does not mean that it doesn't qualify for what others would see as important/matter/serious/etc.

...back to the thread :cool:

How is any of this based on no knowledge? Did you read GB's entire post? I realize that in your eyes Tesla can do no wrong, but these are very legitimate concerns. What other auto manufacturer or any manufacturer for that matter throw in substantial new costs after thousands of buyers have already bought their product expecting minimal maintenance as was stated before?I cannot think of one that does that and expects to stay in business long.

Oh c'mon! I've made critical posts of Tesla. Yes, overall my experience has been extremely positive. And because of that, I've kept from posting my opinion at times - because there is always someone that accuses me of being just a Tesla fan girl. I was referring to the tangents we go off on, please don't turn my words into something else.

As someone who lives near a service center, I'm very excited to hear about loaners. If I get a Roadster as a loaner car I'll be REALLY psyched! Does anyone know whether they'd do that, or use regular old ICEs? I'd hate to have to go to a gas station when I take my car in for service!

This would be a good use for all the leased Roadsters getting turned in now as people get their Model S's.