Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ Every car manufacturer (and plenty of other consumer goods companies) say the exact same thing. Service work must be done by a certified technician. Tesla is a new company, there are no independent certified technicians yet.

Honestly, I wish someone would explain to me in simple language why all this "legal" discussion about something which is common practice in the auto (and other) industry and has been for years. Model S is not a $15,000 car, does anyone really expect to take it to the Joe the grease mechanic and not void their warranty?

(P.S. No offence to anyone called Joe, anyone who works with grease, or any mechanics that might be reading this!)

It is *not* common practice at all. What *is* common practice is the dealerships leading you to believe that it is a requirement. But it is not (as codified by law). Again, the point was to make sure that Tesla was not going to get in trouble by making these demands actually in the warranty, which it is not. Therefore, GB simply misspoke, and there is no more issue to discuss (so long as they don't change the warranty to what he said!).

You know, I stayed silent for a month or so because of my inability to stay away from comments like this. Frankly, these kind of comments enrage me.

Hey Kev, no need to ever be enraged on this forum. We are all sisters and brothers of the battery, NICE because we are no ICE. Diverse in opinion, while One in cause. On a day when, exactly 150 short years ago, 22,000 Americans beat each other to death with bayonets, let us find ourselves enlightened but not enraged but the disagreements we share on this forum.

I love George's response (thanks, George for responding in our forum) - and it is transparent and needed and really informative and I drank the Model S Koolaid long ago so I am in for the four-year service, BUT I will never really understand why a service fee is required to maintain a warranty. Is the warranty getting the service or is the Model S getting the warranty service?

I am not quite sure everybody understands what they are buying with the Model S. Sometimes I feel more than a few want all the positives that come with being a early adopter, but refuse the negatives.
We are buying a rather innovative product from a rookie in the car production business. They are selling a product that could hit it out of the ball park, but there is still a chance of failure. Tesla is walking a thin rope here without a safety net. If they screw up, they're dead. Simple!
Now how to minimalize the risk of making a fatal screw up?
-Avoid any handyman customer or Cooter messing with the car. They may have the best intentions, but if they screw up it will tarnish Tesla's reputation with consequences beyond Tesla's control. With a highly complex machine like Tesla Model S it is easy to over estimate one's qualifications. No Mercedes mechanic will put his paws on my Model S, leave alone Cooter.
- Tesla may have put many miles on the Alpha's and Beta's, but nothing compared with the big OEM's. We are in a way guinea pigs. There will be defects whether Elon likes it or not, but by taking a very close look at EVERY car every 12k mi or 1 year, faults may be caught in time and repaired in recalls or during regular service.
- More bad news. We are paying (partly) for the build up of Tesla's service network. Gen III owners may thank you later, but probably not.

What were the alternatives? Increase the service interval to 2 years or 25k mi. After 1.5 years or 20k mi some Model S's have a dramatic break down and guess who will be here at TMC crying foul again? It's like playing russian roulette without knowing if there is a round in the revolver. Everything could go just fine, but if you're wrong... You can check the gun after every time you pull the trigger or you could wait a little bit longer and take your chances. I am not saying chances are 1 in 6, but the consequences could be just as lethal.
Maybe Tesla should give you the option to ignore their recommendation and go for 2 years/25k mi. Just if something should go wrong between 12k and 25k mi it will be your dime.
I'd like to think a lot in this discussion is expectations. You may say Tesla did not inform you enough; maybe you have to ask yourself if you put enough thinking before buying a $100k electric car.
OK guys, shoot!

Amen! +10 I.e: No one forced anyone to put a deposit down or even lock down the build. People can't wait but can't be accountable for their own actions either. It's unreal. Let me get my vest. Ok, shoot.

Ouch. This means Tesla is selling a car without a warranty. Not confidence inspiring! They can get away with this for the next year or two thanks to the pent-up demand, but it certainly won't fly with the general car-buying public. I agree with Trnsl8r above who said they're basically going with an all-stick-and-no-carrot approach, which is unfortunate since I know how wonderful Tesla generally is in supporting their customers.

A few people have compared this to AppleCare, but the difference is this: AppleCare just extends the already excellent one-year warranty for an extra year or two. If you pay nothing, you still get free repairs for the first year. (And Apple is usually generous in repairing things that may have been user error.)

A few people have compared this to AppleCare, but the difference is this: AppleCare just extends the already excellent one-year warranty for an extra year or two. If you pay nothing, you still get free repairs for the first year. (And Apple is usually generous in repairing things that may have been user error.)

Not quite. Service in 1st year is different if you have AppleCare vs without.

My iPhone 4 died within a week of getting it. I was offered a send-it-in and we'll repair and return it to you, or if you have AppleCare then we immediately send you a new one and you return the old one later. Kind of like ranger service.

The difference with AppleCare is that it is optional.

@chrissam42: you raise an interesting point. Presumably in the first year (or 12,500 miles) of MS ownership, everyone will also enjoy full warranty coverage -- after all, you haven't yet been expected to bring the car in for service.

Likewise, suppose you've been good about taking in your vehicle for checkups #1, #2, and #3 and are now in the final year (or final 12,500 miles) of the warranty period: you also are covered for the full warranty period, even if you skip checkup #4, which is supposed to come at the very end of the warranty period. (This second option, however, would be very foolish. That last checkup is going to be the most valuable as you can get all the warranty work done before the warranty expires, after which that same repair will be on your dime.)

Amen! +10 I.e: No one forced anyone to put a deposit down or even lock down the build. People can't wait but can't be accountable for their own actions either. It's unreal. Let me get my vest. Ok, shoot.

Your post doesn't really make sense and is condescending for no reason. Sure, no one made anyone sign paperwork, they did it because they wanted to based on current information, this info has come out after MANY have already signed their paperwork.

Furthermore, an attitude of "you don't like, don't buy it" is silly and extremely unhelpful here. Everyone is here because to one degree or another they are really into tesla and want to see them succeed. Telling them to accept whatever tesla throws at them or walk away is an extremely poor attitude -- especially seeing how tesla has listened to valid feedback in the past and adjusted things.

There's no need to be afraid of the firing squad if you don't first b*tchslap the men with the guns.

^^^ Every car manufacturer (and plenty of other consumer goods companies) say the exact same thing. Service work must be done by a certified technician. Tesla is a new company, there are no independent certified technicians yet.

Honestly, I wish someone would explain to me in simple language why all this "legal" discussion about something which is common practice in the auto (and other) industry and has been for years. Model S is not a $15,000 car, does anyone really expect to take it to the Joe the grease mechanic and not void their warranty?

(P.S. No offence to anyone called Joe, anyone who works with grease, or any mechanics that might be reading this!)

It is *not* common practice at all. What *is* common practice is the dealerships leading you to believe that it is a requirement. But it is not (as codified by law). Again, the point was to make sure that Tesla was not going to get in trouble by making these demands actually in the warranty, which it is not. Therefore, GB simply misspoke, and there is no more issue to discuss (so long as they don't change the warranty to what he said!).

Hi Ron,

I think that you are correct. However, although George did not use the correct legalese, I also think we both know that he spoke the practical truth unhindered by weasle-wording. :wink:

Larry

Your post doesn't really make sense and is condescending for no reason. Sure, no one made anyone sign paperwork, they did it because they wanted to based on current information, this info has come out after MANY have already signed their paperwork.

Furthermore, an attitude of "you don't like, don't buy it" is silly and extremely unhelpful here. Everyone is here because to one degree or another they are really into tesla and want to see them succeed. Telling them to accept whatever tesla throws at them or walk away is an extremely poor attitude -- especially seeing how tesla has listened to valid feedback in the past and adjusted things.

There's no need to be afraid of the firing squad if you don't first b*tchslap the men with the guns.

Indeed. Furthermore, pointing out the hypocrasy of advertising low maintenance then charging more for maintenance than many luxury conventional vehicles just isn't a good business model. I'm too invested (financially and emotionally) to give up the car. But that doesn't make me blind and stupid to the downstream potential consequences when this information starts getting blown up in the press and lands in the hands of those on the fence about buying an EV.

I love to brag not only what great MPG my Prius gets, but how little maintenance is for it. 130k miles and my brakes still have over 50% of the original surface. The ICE has maybe 80k miles of time on it b/c of the EV/gliding capabilities so it's not running all the time. Oil changes are only every 10k miles and probably not really necessary even that often for most drivers.

I can spout off about low EV maintenance, but then I have to admit it still costs the same...or more than other cars. I'll be able to soften that a bit by saying towing is included--but the obvious retort is 'If it's so reliable, why would you need to tow it, and how often that everyone who buys the car has to prepay for it?" Hard to answer that one.

For me, honestly, this works out to be a pretty good deal since I'll need and use the Ranger service since I live so far from any Tesla Service center (even when they put one in St.Louis it's at the outside of my practical driving range.), and for that package I think the price is quite fair and will be made up if I need even one "emergency" ranger call. For those who live but a few miles from a Tesla center it seems a bit of an unfair rip off to me.

Hi Marcus,

Perhaps heems could have worded his posting more tactfully, and of course there's nothing wrong with others being critical of the service plan. However, that doesn't alter the fact that we all had a 100% refundable deposit coupled with an ability to defer for as long as we wanted to permit time to obtain all the information each person needed to become comfortable. Many early adopters simply don't require that level of comfort and are able to proceed with more uncertainty. However, personally, I didn't find the $600/year pricing of the service plan surprising in the context of the already existing Roadster plan. I was pleasantly surprised by the ability to reduce that number to $475/year by paying in advance, by the greatly improved Ranger pricing, roadside towing, loaner cars, etc.

It is not unreasonable to say that people that are not comfortable in buying the the car shouldn't. George has said this in the past and I didn't find his remark silly or extremely unhelpful.

Larry

Agreed Larry, but it's not all or nothing. Financially, I'm still 100% comfortable buying this car, and I didn't buy it for the environment or to have lower operating costs. However, some did, and Tesla touted EVs as having lower operating costs. Then they spring this. People have the right to be upset about that (some haven't even locked in and are upset something like this could stop their purchase all together).

While I'm still comfortable buying, this, and previous issues, sure does kill some of the joy and love I've had for Tesla, and I'm imagining even more so for others who haven't consumed as much kool aid as I have. Is it OK to simply dismiss them and their concerns? Should they not have a say?

My point is, if you don't have a problem with what was announced, that's fine, but don't look down on, mock, or dismiss those who do. Unfortunately, that seems to be happening often here,

Just a reminder: The intent of this thread was to just keep to facts and let the discussion occur in the existing thread (Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!)!). From the original post:

Starting a new thread hoping we can consolidate official responses from Tesla in one place and keep the drama/commentary in separate threads. Perhaps the mods can help.

This is no different to other car manufacturer. I get the discussion about price, I get the discussion about information, but (and maybe it's me) I don't get all this discussion about warranty.
I know of no other car company that requires such a mandatory inspection plan to maintain their cars' warranties. There are a lot that have an optional inspection/maintenance plan, but they are not requirements for warranty maintenance.
What's different about Tesla is that there's no warranty on the car if you don't buy their maintenance plan.

A to ind if GB indeed mis-speak, let's hope they swallow their pride and clarify. They need to focus on getting the S ramped up in product and fix the little problems (just as panels not being lined up) rather than waste time trying to squeeze more $ out of their customers to increase their bottom line. Indeed the warranty has precedence over the service agreement - they should not waste time trying to back their customers into a corner...