Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SALINA SUPER CHARGER IS FOUND!
Construction is ongoing but should be done in a week or two.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salina
755 W Diamond Dr, Salina, KS, United States

That would make an upcoming summer trip MUCH better ;)

Also, I put the Goodland, KS on the Plugshare map, in case anyone wants to see it.

Nice find!

This is a good example of how Superchargers can be almost done before the TMC detectives find them.

Now, we just need to find the Topeka, Independence, and Columbia locations...

This may be of no relevance at all, but a friend of ours is in upper-management at PNC Bank in the St. Louis area, and was approached by Tesla about installing SuperChargers at the Chesterfield Valley Branch (this would be along Hwy 40/64). Due to unknown circumstances at the bank, Tesla was unfortunately turned down... but maybe this gives us a better idea as to where Tesla is wanting to put the SC's, and at a minimum it tells us that Tesla is actively looking for a location here if they haven't already found one. :cool:

This may be of no relevance at all, but a friend of ours is in upper-management at PNC Bank in the St. Louis area, and was approached by Tesla about installing SuperChargers at the Chesterfield Valley Branch (this would be along Hwy 40/64). Due to unknown circumstances at the bank, Tesla was unfortunately turned down... but maybe this gives us a better idea as to where Tesla is wanting to put the SC's, and at a minimum it tells us that Tesla is actively looking for a location here if they haven't already found one. :cool:

Boeing off of mcdonnell blvd. in Hazelwood MO would be 1 exit over from interstate 70.:smile:

It is interesting that Tesla is building out the I-70 route so quickly without even having had it on the "coming soon" map until very recently. I think it is possible that they were trying to build this out ASAP as a much more direct route from LA to NYC in preparation for breaking their own record. Maybe they were trying to keep this stealth for a while so they could mount a record-breaking run before a customer does it. :wink:

I think a good site for the Topeka SC would be at 6th and Wanamaker just north of I-70. There is a restaurant (Red Robin), Hotel (Hyatt Place) and a movie theater. Anywhere south of I-70 is on a very busy street and difficult to navigate even in non-rush hour traffic. North is much less busy and easy access from the Interstate. It is on the west side of Topeka but the east side puts it so close to KC that it would only be 60-75 miles from a KC Supercharger.

I've heard that Tesla is spending a bit more time thinking about non-central city locations to keep same-city charging to a minimum. Meaning - really convenient for travelers but not as easy for owners in the same city to skip using their own home charging systems. I've heard Edwardsville, IL as a possible second Saint Louis site. Something to help ease the winter-time high-wind problems for getting back and forth to Normal, IL through Saint Louis. I've also heard that Columbia, MO location may be announced, planned, and completed by the end of the July. Sounds good to me!

I've heard that Tesla is spending a bit more time thinking about non-central city locations to keep same-city charging to a minimum. Meaning - really convenient for travelers but not as easy for owners in the same city to skip using their own home charging systems. I've heard Edwardsville, IL as a possible second Saint Louis site. Something to help ease the winter-time high-wind problems for getting back and forth to Normal, IL through Saint Louis. I've also heard that Columbia, MO location may be announced, planned, and completed by the end of the July. Sounds good to me!

I hadn't heard either of those specifically, but I've been expecting another Supercharger to eventually show up in/around Edwardsville/Maryville/Troy/Glen Carbon for that very reason, as well as for supporting more routes in/out of St Louis. And I've gotten the impression that all the locations between Denver and St Louis were of a higher priority relative to other locations on the "2014" map. It certainly makes sense that following along routes allows each location to maximize value. For example, Kansas is nice, but it's better if you can use it to get between St Louis and Denver (no disrespect to Kansas natives).

I stopped by there today and the workers said it would be 2-3 weeks before the Salina SC would be completed. I also went and charged at the Hays SC today just to try it out. Worked great. Only stayed about 25 minutes and got 150 miles of range.

SALINA SUPER CHARGER IS FOUND!
Construction is ongoing but should be done in a week or two.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salina
755 W Diamond Dr, Salina, KS, United States

That would make an upcoming summer trip MUCH better ;)

Also, I put the Goodland, KS on the Plugshare map, in case anyone wants to see it.