Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to a friend at Black & Veatch--engineering some of the the SC network--last week, and he said Blue Springs is in planning and should be installed by the end of summer.
Hard to understand that location. I could see it South of KC or West of KC, but if Columbia is going to have a SC there's no need for an extra one there and it's way off the path for anyone going North or South from KC off of I70 Eastbound. It's not near a darn thing I go to in KC.

Hard to understand that location. I could see it South of KC or West of KC, but if Columbia is going to have a SC there's no need for an extra one there and it's way off the path for anyone going North or South from KC off of I70 Eastbound. It's not near a darn thing I go to in KC.

I'm guessing you would come up I-49 into KC? Tesla is generally trying to keep Superchargers out of city centers. There is really no where you can put a single Supercharger and serve both East/West and North/South traffic through a city. Maybe in time they will add one down on I-49 somewhere. In the meantime, for anyone coming up through I-49, I guess they would need detour and take 7 from Harrisonville up to Blue Springs. Not ideal, but might work.

I'm guessing you would come up I-49 into KC? Tesla is generally trying to keep Superchargers out of city centers. There is really no where you can put a single Supercharger and serve both East/West and North/South traffic through a city. Maybe in time they will add one down on I-49 somewhere. In the meantime, for anyone coming up through I-49, I guess they would need detour and take 7 from Harrisonville up to Blue Springs. Not ideal, but might work.
Probably coming up hwy 13, but my inclination would have been to put it on the West side of KC, but perhaps that choice is just biased by my driving habits. It just seems a bit silly to put it so close to Columbia (109 miles).

Probably coming up hwy 13, but my inclination would have been to put it on the West side of KC, but perhaps that choice is just biased by my driving habits. It just seems a bit silly to put it so close to Columbia (109 miles).

For a mixture of 85's and 60's, potential bad weather, spirited driving, not needing to charge beyond 80% SOC, etc, I consider 100 to 133 miles to be ideal spacing.

For a mixture of 85's and 60's, potential bad weather, spirited driving, not needing to charge beyond 80% SOC, etc, I consider 100 to 133 miles to be ideal spacing.

I understand, and this is in no way what I'd consider a "problematic" placement, perhaps just less than ideal. I think I'd have aimed for someplace like around the 435/I70 intersection near Kansas Motor Speedway. Still just 139 miles from Columbia, outside of the city center and at a convenient juncture for almost all N/S and E/W traffic.
Columbia Township, MO to I-70 W - Google Maps

I understand, and this is in no way what I'd consider a "problematic" placement, perhaps just less than ideal. I think I'd have aimed for someplace like around the 435/I70 intersection near Kansas Motor Speedway. Still just 139 miles from Columbia, outside of the city center and at a convenient juncture for almost all N/S and E/W traffic.
Columbia Township, MO to I-70 W - Google Maps

Space, the Final Frontier!

I tend to agree with you, but finding the shopping center, restaurant, hotel, etc, that is interested in the Tesla deal and is in an excellent location is sometimes impossible. A usable, and pretty good, location is much better than no Supercharger.

Space, the Final Frontier!

I tend to agree with you, but finding the shopping center, restaurant, hotel, etc, that is interested in the Tesla deal and is in an excellent location is sometimes impossible. A usable, and pretty good, location is much better than no Supercharger.
Absolutely, at this point I'll take anywhere they want to drop one on I 70 in MO! and then a couple on I44 would make my life a LOT easier...

Besides Goodland, which is in the located in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express, do we know the exact locations in the other cities along this route? There are rumors of locations in Salina, Hays, and Limon, but I haven't heard of specific locations (building permits, local verification that work has started) in any of the other cities.

I'll be traveling along I-70 in the near future and can take some pictures of the progress at any sites between Salina and Denver that are identified.

Hey, that's great. Thanks I'm curious about Limon, CO. The newer exit is on the west side of town, and a Holiday Inn Express there too. Don't know about Hays or Salina. The cities and counties don't have much online access. Maybe there is a mall or newer facilities near the freeway in Hays or Salina (?). That would be the most likely .... In Salina, the closest to the intersection of the two freeways would make sense, and that is the Exit 252 a mile east. Typical Highway truck stop stuff, but a Wendy's Subway and Starbucks. Otherwise, it would be toward town on 135, and out of the way for I-70 travel....

Last edited:
For those of us traveling the Saint Louis / Kansas City route, I'm way more excited about a super charge on the East side of Kansas City than on the West side (or perhaps even on the Kansas side of Kansas City). Allows for a fill-up before getting nestled into the inner belts of the city. I expect more travelers in Missouri are traveling the inside corridor right now than the Kansas piece right now. Still, Columbia, MO is the linchpin right now as even to Blue Springs it is 220 miles for me. But with the warmer weather, I've made than trip twice last year with the help of some very friendly Kansas City HPWC owners. The expectations would be completion of all of the Super Chargers in Missouri before the cold season visits us again. Can't wait to see confirmations in Columbia, MO!!

For those of us traveling the Saint Louis / Kansas City route, I'm way more excited about a super charge on the East side of Kansas City than on the West side (or perhaps even on the Kansas side of Kansas City). Allows for a fill-up before getting nestled into the inner belts of the city. I expect more travelers in Missouri are traveling the inside corridor right now than the Kansas piece right now. Still, Columbia, MO is the linchpin right now as even to Blue Springs it is 220 miles for me. But with the warmer weather, I've made than trip twice last year with the help of some very friendly Kansas City HPWC owners. The expectations would be completion of all of the Super Chargers in Missouri before the cold season visits us again. Can't wait to see confirmations in Columbia, MO!!

Would be great if they got 5 or 6 in MO by winter (KC, STL, Columbia, Rolla, Joplin and +/- Jefferson City) Not counting on it though, I think it will be late 2015 for all of those, but the I-70 3, at a minimum, by winter would make life a lot easier..still tough for me to do the Nixa to STL run in winter, but I can top up in Rolla at the J1772 there in a pinch.

this is slightly off topic and most of you guys already know, but a fellow tesla owner is planning a tesla gettogether in Shawnee on Sunday, May 25th. If you haven't received the invite and would like to attend let us know and we will get it to you.

Bummer. I spent 15-30 minutes driving around each of the suspected Supercharger cities of Salina and Hays in Kansas and Limon, Colorado today. I was unable to find any signs of construction in these cities.

As mentioned on the Goodland specific thread, they've completed trenching from the location for the transformer to the high-voltage lines, that's really the extent of the progress in Goodland, KS.

Thanks! That adds to the ongoing mystery here. Oh well. I was looking forward to cruising Kansas to Topeka on electrons on a business trip from Denver in July. Will probably just rent a gasoline/air explosion car .... I have sworn off the hassle of airports and little planes whenever possible....:cool: