Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed when I removed the frunk tub to troubleshoot an air suspension issue that it was easy to localize the whine - in my case it appears to be the coolant pump just whirring away. You can put your hand on it and feel it. Almost sure that's the noise - not sure why it needs to run constantly, but the frunk tub can be removed in less than 10 minutes with only a Phillips for a front trim fastener and a small socket to pull out the tub. After you get the lining out which is just a matter of removing the gasket and gently fishing out the light and opener button through a hole. Screw out the rubber stops for the side bits, bob's your uncle!

Give yourself some piece of mind and check it out, bet that's it!

Last edited:
I will give it a try. Sentry mode is always off in the garage and the key distanced. I leave the app on as Tesla says it's better. I will try closing the Tesla app.
Thanks
When you say you knave the app on, what do you mean?

It just needs to be on in the background, not active. Mine is only an active card when I'm looking at the car or interacting with it, otherwise it's swiped away, but I believe Android and Apple work differently in this regard.

I’m glad I found this thread…I came home tonight and parked next to my model X plaid and heard the whining noise. I thought I was going crazy with the frequency it was making. I’m having charging port issues with My X and figured it was something else related to it….either way i guess im glad to know im not alone.

I forgot to add I am on 2022.28.1 and just updated yesterday when I started hearing the noise

My 2022 Plaid Model 2 also started making the noise after the update to 2022.28.1.

I just received the following message from Tesla service.

"The noise is from a recent firmware update. The update 2022.24 was for an efficiency update of your high-voltage battery, affecting the flow of amperage. The sound that is created is an electrical signal which has been found other model S's and X's. Update 20 22.36 will resolve the noise concern. They are being distributed from engineering as soon as they are available for update".

I just received the following message from Tesla service.

"The noise is from a recent firmware update. The update 2022.24 was for an efficiency update of your high-voltage battery, affecting the flow of amperage. The sound that is created is an electrical signal which has been found other model S's and X's. Update 20 22.36 will resolve the noise concern. They are being distributed from engineering as soon as they are available for update".
SDRick - that's great info, thanks for posting. Any sense for when we might expect 2022.36? The fact that service sent you that update detail seems like a good sign, I think...

Thank you but I thought it will automatically “install”?

How did you prevent it from installing on its own after it gets pushed? My understanding it doesn’t even need Internet connection once downloaded/pushed to the car?
Only critical updates get forced to the car. You can just leave it as is - it won't install unless you manually install it or Tesla decides this is safety critical.
My update stock at 8% when downloading.
After that I rebooted the car by pressing both scroll wheels.

Now my car is not getting the update any more. It says my SW is up to date, but there is still a green error pointing down at my status bar.

In my Tesla app, it still says downloading at 8%. How can I resume the update?
Let the car sleep, or wait for the next update. Did this resolve with letting the car sleep?

Reactions: BonB
This noise/whine started with 2022.24.5, and continues with 2022.28.1. Thanks for this tip, had applied these steps and it did not seem to work. Have a service appointment set.

2022 Model S Dual Motor.
You need to give the car time to sleep. If Sentry is off and all phones away and you did not open the app and the temp is within limit the car will sleep within 30 minutes. I noticed it might take longer after a drive or when overheat kicksin

Reactions: navguy12