Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison, here's the Supercharger map...

west spc.jpg

What was the temperature out? What was your state of charge when you ramped to 72kW?
Note here is the typical for a 90 kWh Tesla (per your sig).

Via: Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars
KFNFR0l.jpg

It's worth noting how power sharing works between a pair of stalls on SCv2.

The power cabinet has 12 charging units in four groups of three. The first car to plug in gets access to all four groups of chargers for a full speed charge of (soon to be) 144 kW. When a second car plugs in, the system takes one of those groups and gives it to the second car, for a charging speed of about 36 kW. The first car is now charging on three groups of chargers, for a max speed of about 108 kW. When the first car's charging rate drops below 72 kW, the system switches to two groups of chargers for each vehicle (about 72 kW each, the same as an Urban Supercharger). It isn't until the first car's charging rate drops below 36 kW that the system switches to one group for the first car and three groups for the second car.

The power cabinet has 12 charging units in four groups of three. The first car to plug in gets access to all four groups of chargers for a full speed charge of (soon to be) 144 kW. When a second car plugs in, the system takes one of those groups and gives it to the second car, for a charging speed of about 36 kW. The first car is now charging on three groups of chargers, for a max speed of about 108 kW. When the first car's charging rate drops below 72 kW, the system switches to two groups of chargers for each vehicle (about 72 kW each, the same as an Urban Supercharger). It isn't until the first car's charging rate drops below 36 kW that the system switches to one group for the first car and three groups for the second car.
Example in this post of what you are saying from my testing (at least the first part of what you are saying ... we may have hit high SOCs so the subsequent 3:1 then 2:2, then 1:3 ratios didn't happen).

Blog - Tesla's New Supercharger to Cut Charging Time By 50%

Thanks @Big Earl , that matches up pretty exactly with my experience. I knew about the charge sharing, but not the groupings. Good stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Ugliest1
F27E709E-79E2-41C4-9E39-720F49759AA4.jpeg
So it's fascinating to me that if V3 comes to RED DEER, or even if they allow higher charge rates at the charger, OR my favorite, allow the battery to precondition itself in cold weather, that will help with that crowding at the SC.

It seems like Red Deer could really use another 4-stall Supercharger. Perhaps a little farther south in the mall parking lot. Seems like there are quite a few food and lodging options nearby, as well.

Reactions: GlenM and MarcoRP
So it's fascinating to me that if V3 comes to RED DEER, or even if they allow higher charge rates at the charger, OR my favorite, allow the battery to precondition itself in cold weather, that will help with that crowding at the SC.

View attachment 387282

It seems like Red Deer could really use another 4-stall Supercharger. Perhaps a little farther south in the mall parking lot. Seems like there are quite a few food and lodging options nearby, as well.

I would be happy if they just put another v2 charger in along Gasoline Alley. 4 or 8 stall doesn't really matter.

Reactions: derekasch and GlenM
What's the trick to finding Superchargers when they are in the permit stage? I'm interested in seeing the status of the Highway 3 chargers in southern BC. I tried crawling through CivicWeb (for cities that use it in BC) but the only thing that came up was a comment in the Osoyoos 2015-2018 Strategic Plan noting they are working with Tesla to locate a "fast charger". Other towns like Grand Forks and Creston don't use CivicWeb so I was trolling through agendas one by one (which I didn't do long haha!).

Then it occurred to me that the "permit" stage for Supercharger installs might actually be an electrical permit? Where do you search those? If the zoning etc was already fine for a charger, presumably Tesla wouldn't even need to get any kind of permission from a municipality...

What's the trick to finding Superchargers when they are in the permit stage? I'm interested in seeing the status of the Highway 3 chargers in southern BC. I tried crawling through CivicWeb (for cities that use it in BC) but the only thing that came up was a comment in the Osoyoos 2015-2018 Strategic Plan noting they are working with Tesla to locate a "fast charger". Other towns like Grand Forks and Creston don't use CivicWeb so I was trolling through agendas one by one (which I didn't do long haha!).

Then it occurred to me that the "permit" stage for Supercharger installs might actually be an electrical permit? Where do you search those? If the zoning etc was already fine for a charger, presumably Tesla wouldn't even need to get any kind of permission from a municipality...
Search something like “Osoyoos Supercharger Tesla” in Google for example. Might also want to add the word “permit” at the end. If I were you, I’d start by looking at the locations planned since 2018 or before