Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you visit that location you will see that it works for a service Centre but wouldn't for a Supercharger. The staff have already said it will not be a SUpercharger location (for what that's worth) but it also isn't that convenient to get to, there are no restaurants or conveniences nearby and after about 5:30pm the area becomes pretty sketchy - it is very industrial and dimly lit.

I believe they will put the Supercharger in the north to connect the Canmore-Edmonton link and also to accommodate the heaviest use - Calgary/Edmonton users going from one city to the other. Something like the parking lot for Deerfoot Centre (Deerfoot Mall?) would make sense on many levels.

Fingers crossed.

I looked at the location of the SC and felt a touch deflated for our trip through next summer as, having lived in Calgary in the past, I know how much time that location would take to get to from the outskirts of the city, especially the north. If the speculation is north of the city, that will make most trips through much better. It will service east to west as well as those traveling north and south.

I am still shocked that they have managed to keep this location secret for so long. Apparently us owners need to improve our sleuthing skills!

Reactions: derekasch
From 'MyProperty' on the City of Calgary website:

Property Details

Property:
6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE

Development Permits for past 3 years
on 6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE

DP2016-2677 is Released. Permit issued on 2016-08-26. Job is Change of Use: Vehicle Sales - Minor, Auto Service - Major; Exterior Renovations: new doors

DP2016-4105 is Pending Release. Permit issued on 2017-01-03. Job is New: Sign - Class B & C (Fascia Signs- 4, Freestanding Sign)

Building Permits for past 3 years
on 6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE

Commercial / Multi Family Project (BP2016-11231) is Issued Permit. Permit issued on 2016-11-25. Project scope was Tesla Motors.

No mention of any EV charging

Fingers crossed.

I looked at the location of the SC and felt a touch deflated for our trip through next summer as, having lived in Calgary in the past, I know how much time that location would take to get to from the outskirts of the city, especially the north. If the speculation is north of the city, that will make most trips through much better. It will service east to west as well as those traveling north and south.

I am still shocked that they have managed to keep this location secret for so long. Apparently us owners need to improve our sleuthing skills!
The Supercharger isn't even at the permit stage yet as far as I know. Anyone with some contacts at the City want to make an inquiry??

Now that the north ring road is open, travellers going through Calgary can reach CrossIron very easily - whether your going Edmonton to/from BC or from BC to/from SK. Canmore to Fort MacLeod is tight, though - 273km which is pushing it in winter. Only 190km from CrossIron to Fort MacLeod.

The Supercharger isn't even at the permit stage yet as far as I know. Anyone with some contacts at the City want to make an inquiry??

The Tesla website shows it as "Opening Soon" which they generally only place once the supercharger is near completion. Case in point, the Merritt supercharger was only placed on this map as opening soon at the same time as the Calgary one and we all know that Merritt is simply awaiting the flick of a switch.

Case in point, the Merritt supercharger was only placed on this map as opening soon at the same time as the Calgary one and we all know that Merritt is simply awaiting the flick of a switch.
See a few posts back... some jackhammer-type revisions are necessary on the Merritt site before BC Hydro will allow the power to be switched on.

While some municipalities seem to be willing to leak confirmation of a building permit application, I expect others would look at doing so as a privacy issue. I believe it should be the latter, since what one proposes to do with their private property really isn't the business of anyone but the property owner and the approving authority... unless there are zoning implications.

From 'MyProperty' on the City of Calgary website:

Property Details

Property:
6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE

Development Permits for past 3 years
on 6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE
DP2016-2677
is Released. Permit issued on 2016-08-26. Job is Change of Use: Vehicle Sales - Minor, Auto Service - Major; Exterior Renovations: new doors

DP2016-4105 is Pending Release. Permit issued on 2017-01-03. Job is New: Sign - Class B & C (Fascia Signs- 4, Freestanding Sign)

Building Permits for past 3 years
on 6702 FAIRMOUNT DR SE

Commercial / Multi Family Project (BP2016-11231) is Issued Permit. Permit issued on 2016-11-25. Project scope was Tesla Motors.

No mention of any EV charging
Anyone with some contacts at the City want to make an inquiry??

Suffice it to say I have some contacts at the City, and EV charging would not be mentioned in the description of any of those permits. A supercharger would only appear on the site plans of a development permit as a high voltage power connection, and the parking spaces would be identified as being specifically demarcated for electric vehicle charging, so they wouldn't count towards the required parking for the use. But that would be a plan detail that would very likely not make it to the application description or scope.

I'm not saying it IS there, I'm just saying that this information doesn't rule it out :)

See a few posts back... some jackhammer-type revisions are necessary on the Merritt site before BC Hydro will allow the power to be switched on.

Okay, fair enough but it was near completed construction before they showed it on the Tesla website. Members of this group were aware of it long before it showed up there as it had obvious signs of construction. My point being, I expect it is past the permit only stage.

Looks like Lima, MT is now open. Posting here as it may be of interest to Alberta owners who wish to travel to the states without routing through Seattle :)

There's still a big gap between Fort MacLeod and Butte, but it would definitely be worth it to make an RV park arrangement to bridge that gap to save hundreds of miles of driving.

Looks like Lima, MT is now open. .

That's great news! We're planning a trip to San Diego in the early spring and I want to go south through Montana rather than Vancouver (should save a day in driving and eliminate a few mountain passes). So far the plan is to do a full charge in Ft. MacLeod and then do an L2 for an hour or so in Conrad, Montana (Super 8). That should get us to Great Falls for an overnight destination charge. Then head for Butte and down through Lima - from there on it's all superchargers. Could really use one more supercharger on the Montana leg.

Fort MacLeod from a different point of view..... Winter!
Took this yesterday. Lots of snow.

IMG_0144.JPG

Ah, I didn't realize the staff had said there wouldn't be any SC there... but in fairness, they're probably not allowed to say anything even if there are... just sayin'... And fair enough, it's not the greatest area right now but I worked on the new buildings just across the street along the tracks as well as some other sites very nearby and I know there is a lot of redevelopment happening in that particular area in the very near future, including the potential for some coffee shop/restaurant uses, so I would say it's not the worst location either. Though I do agree that something along one of the major highways would be ideal.
I agree that typically staff are not allowed to say too much in advance but I guess that is why I believe the information as the person in question didn't have to say anything. Of course they could be wrong but I don't think anyone would deliterately say something to mislead. In any event, even if the service centre was ready in a month, the provisioning, installation and wiring of super chargers along with inspection and connection would take months longer and I think the coming soon on the map historically does suggest an imminently live supercharger. Sounds like with Merrit they assumed the inspection would pass.

Reactions: dasRad
Picked up a 2-pack of compact aluminum shovels at Costco yesterday...

Don't forget a jug of Alaskan Ice Melt. I had to help a commercial truck once with road salt. He was blocking the entire road turning out of a warehouse leading to the main street iced up. It wasn't an option to backup and turn around as there was traffic behind me. A bit of road salt aided his traction and off he went. Saved a bit of time from waiting around with a bag of salt. Also wise to have some extra winter washer fluid too. Driving in -30C and having all-season washer fluid that ices up the windshield on contact isn't ideal.