Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was in 2014, the majority of primary and secondary highways in the province saw an increase of 10km/h on the speed limits

If that is the case I would have thought that the most recent Navigon update, 15Q4, would have the limits updated. So that makes me think the speed limit database isn't coming from Navigon. But maybe they are really slow at updating things.

If that is the case I would have thought that the most recent Navigon update, 15Q4, would have the limits updated. So that makes me think the speed limit database isn't coming from Navigon. But maybe they are really slow at updating things.
Tesla has multiple "mapping" solutions, all of which are in use for various items, it's hard to tell what part does what.
Tesla uses Navigon for turn by turn routing, and the instrument cluster, Google for locations search, traffic, and the 17" display, and uses "high precision map tiles" which appear to be internal Tesla things for some autopilot refinements. The speed limits could be in any of those, or multiple ones.

But yes, Navigon is REALLY slow at updating things.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I suspect that it's a Navigon issue. Living in Kamloops, at the north end of the Coq, I drive that road regularly. Things seem to change after the 'map updates' that appear once in a while. That doesn't mean they get fixed... just behave differently... LOL

My thinking is that the energy calc is done with Navigon, because an Internet connection to access Google mapping can't be guaranteed. The calc is done with known speed limits, regardless of what the camera can or cannot see on the signs. So if the known speeds are wrong, the calculation is done incorrectly too. And that's what we see on the Coq. Assumed speed limits are lower, and thus, energy consumption is lower.

Maybe one day the superchargers will have a wifi connection to ensure the latest information can be provided to the car for routes radiating from the supercharger location. I've had some thoughts about how the cloud sourced data from the cars who've done a route before could be used to fine-tune the energy calculation... using typical driving habits, weather and temperature conditions, maybe even the assumed weight or friction loss of the car (racks on the roof could be detected by speed/energy use on previous road segments). A cloud of data could be used to fit with current expected conditions and suggest a range of energy use. It could be done - I'm sure... maybe someday.

I just moticed Merritt appeared on Tesla's RSS feed - listed as "opening soon":

3969 Crawford Ave Merritt, British Columbia Canada V1K0A4

Chargers:

8 Superchargers, available 24/7

Amenities:
Wifi
Best Western Plus
Boston Pizza
Wagon West Travel Plaza

Restrooms
Best Western Plus

Restaurants
Boston Pizza
Wagon West Travel Plaza Restaurant

Lodging
Best Western Plus

Public Charging
EV Plug (J1772)
CHAdeMO DCFC
Merritt Civic Centre
1950 Mamette Ave
Merritt, BC V1K 1R6

With Merritt SpC open now, range anxiety to get from Hope to Kamloops or Kelowna is not an issue even for the 60 kWh batteries now. No need to stay way below the posted 120km/h limit now. Only thing stopping me from travelling the Coq at this time of year is all the gravel and road debris being spat up by semis when you pass them...like driving through a hail storm.

Great news about Merritt opening and the planned Superchargers for 2017!

One spot I hope they plan in the future would either be Lilooet or Cache Creek. The benefit here is it would connect Squamish, Hope, and Merritt/Kamloops in a loop so you could drive in any direction. Including the highways within them: 99 (sea to sky / duffey), 12 (lytton/fraser river), and 1 (heading north to Cariboo).

I am waiting for my X 75D to arrive and am driving to a wedding at Green Lake, 70 Mile House from Squamish this summer. Has anyone done the Duffey road from Squamish Supercharger? How far did you go? I'm a bit nervous about the steep hills and switchbacks with regards to range. evtripplanner says it's possible but I suspect I would be needing to stop at a public or destination charger. Can't wait to drive around BC this summer :)

Has anyone on the forum actually charged in Merritt yet? Can't wait for the next Summer road trip!
Plugshare is showing a check in from this afternoon. Some photos there too. It must have just come on line in the last day or so. I'll have to check in on my next trip down that direction and add a few more photos... probably in ten days. Probably have a few dozen more posts confirming operation in this thread by then... ;-)

Merritt AWESOME! Guess My April trip is a GO! (My 60D I was a tad worried)
Now with the info on how busy chargers are,
Maybe I can figure out if I can skip one.

Are any of the Canadian superchargers that busy?

I have traveled all over the US and have never seen so much as 3 Teslas at one supercharger with the exception of my trips to Southern California where overcrowding really is a problem. I have dodged the worst of it, but basically every time I've visited a supercharger in SoCal during normal waking hours, the superchargers have been at capacity +/- 2 Teslas.