Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still blown away they haven't built anything in Montana that would directly link Calgary with the US network. I remember being promised they were imminent by the sales folk at the then brand-new Chinook store. This was pre-Model X days, so I think like 2015?
Heck it would complete this loop as well. I emailed Tesla Supercharger team multiple years and tweeted this a few times. Traveling thru Great Falls is a pain as adds an extra day to and from.
kXwxsM2.jpg

Superchargers are not for long distance travel only. If they were, Vancouver wouldn't have 4 superchargers, the Greater Toronto Area wouldn't have 8, and Montreal wouldn't have 5. It's about convenience and have a reasonable safety net - literally the first line on the Tesla Supercharger website is "Stop along the world’s fastest charging network while you grab a quick bite to eat", not "only stop and use these if you are on a road trip".
Have you ever been roadtripping and pull up to a supercharger where the locals are just sitting in their car charging tieing up chargers are being the first one on an A/B pair so hogging the highest kW? I have. I've been to some with 6 chargers and a pair is broke I'm talking to people there and they say well we are just local. We'll be done soon. I get if you live in an apartment or are leasing a house and can't 240 charge but some are just being cheap and think sitting at a Supercharger is a great 'free' ride.

Heck it would complete this loop as well. I emailed Tesla Supercharger team multiple years and tweeted this a few times. Traveling thru Great Falls is a pain as adds an extra day to and from.

They seem to be doing North Dakota through to Montana at the same time as the TCH, they're building a couple to connect at Michigan, plus the extra ones at Davidson and Red Deer, and it looks like they they're going to go south from Winnipeg too .. so they are being pretty thorough. Maybe they'll include those ones while they're at it?

Reactions: BerTX and scottf200
Superchargers are not for long distance travel only. If they were, Vancouver wouldn't have 4 superchargers, the Greater Toronto Area wouldn't have 8, and Montreal wouldn't have 5. It's about convenience and have a reasonable safety net - literally the first line on the Tesla Supercharger website is "Stop along the world’s fastest charging network while you grab a quick bite to eat", not "only stop and use these if you are on a road trip".
Tesla USED to have this policy. Elon even tweeted about it. Owners who have some history with Tesla will remember this. Newer owners will not. It used to be discouraged. Highly. Not anymore. What we see now on these forums is the older owners and the new and therefore lots of gaps in knowledge.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Tesla USED to have this policy. Elon even tweeted about it. Owners who have some history with Tesla will remember this. Newer owners will not. It used to be discouraged. Highly. Not anymore.
The relevant tense in the context here is the present, and the future. Not “how it used to be”.

Tesla changed how they did SC, how they think about them. Thus Urban SC and evolution in SC siting.

Really that wouldn’t surprise me, to see an Urban SC sites somewhere South of the Bow River inside the nearing completed ring road.

A wild guess, maybe at Grey Eagle? 37th & Glenmore strikes me a candidate area?
What we see now on these forums is the older owners and the new and therefore lots of gaps in knowledge.
The gaps abound...among older owners, too. Particularly ones that have older, free SC grandfathered cars. Coupled with “I’ve been here longer, so I know better” is a combination that leads to rather curious opinions. :p

Last edited:
The relevant tense in the context here is the present, and the future. Not “how it used to be”.

Tesla changed how they did SC, how they think about them. Thus Urban SC and evolution in SC siting.

Really that wouldn’t surprise me, to see an Urban SC sites somewhere South of the Bow River inside the nearing completed ring road.

A wild guess, maybe at Grey Eagle? 37th & Glenmore strikes me a candidate area?

Oh I hope not. I’d love to see the lot on 4th Ave and 8th St SW in Eau Claire, right before going over the 10th at bridge into Kensington. Perfect for tourism of the river pathway, Eau Claire, and Kensington. Also right across 4th Ave from a major Enmax substation.

Logic tells me it will be on 16th ave near Peter’s Drive In since that is technically the TC1 and not everyone will take the ring road.

That or the big lot immediately west of Keynote towers down on 11th/12th ave.

Agreed, south Calgary gets hosed. I expect they will do something for city apartment dwellers and keep it pretty central.

Tesla USED to have this policy. Elon even tweeted about it. Owners who have some history with Tesla will remember this. Newer owners will not. It used to be discouraged. Highly. Not anymore. What we see now on these forums is the older owners and the new and therefore lots of gaps in knowledge.

Now that new car owners have to pay to charge, I expect the pressure from FREE charging with earlier model cars is diminished. Also the introduction of idling fees and discouraging 100% charging would have helped reduce charge stall occupancy time. Tesla may view downtown condo owners as a significant market to justify city central charging stations. Either way , the more the better:)

Reactions: shonline
Just a heads up that construction has begun in Helena, Montana. This is probably more important to Western Canadians than anyone else so I'm cross-posting here.

Supercharger - Helena, MT

It was also recently posted that construction in Great Falls has begun, but this has not been confirmed just yet:

Supercharger - Great Falls, MT
To follow up on that post, Miles City has been found under construction and Great Falls as well, which is probably also under construction

Supercharger - Great Falls, MT
Supercharger - Miles City, MT

Speaking of Superchargers:

Supercharger - Shelby, MT
No.
I believe that referred to a possible location at the Best Western Shelby.
I called the Best Western Shelby and they informed me that Tesla had decided not to place the Supercharger there.

@MarcoRP
It's not. The thread without the "(possible)" tag in the title is for a different location on a city owned lot. The pdf linked in the new thread has the draft Tesla lease agreement with the city to use the land and a mock-up of what the station would look like.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emupilot and Chuq