Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s coming next in V11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla tells its recruiters that they will never integrate with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
I'd think knowing the answer to "are we focusing on someone to do AA/CP integration?" is pertinent for recruiting software engineering. :) Ultimately the overall direction of development tends to be knowledge that seeps into HR, candidates [of the quality you want] are going to ask general direction questions like that so they have an idea of whether or not they're interested.

But you don't really need inside info to see how AA/CP has no real future in Tesla. AA/CP are generic, off the shelf bolt-ons that a manufacturer uses when they want to avoid the time and cost of developing and actively improving a bespoke UX, as Tesla has, and feel a generic version of the non-vehicle specific UX, that isn't tightly integrated with the vehicle specific UX, is enough.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla App Store. Even Apple admitted a long time ago that they can’t build all the apps. If Tesla is a “computer on wheels”, it certainly needs that.

Yes, it is a big task, but is the only way to scale the platform and features, and let Tesla engineers focus on the FSD.

that makes sense. they could still control the store for safety like apple/google do.

I'd think knowing the answer to "are we focusing on someone to do AA/CP integration?" is pertinent for recruiting software engineering. :) Ultimately the overall direction of development tends to be knowledge that seeps into HR, candidates [of the quality you want] are going to ask general direction questions like that so they have an idea of whether or not they're interested.

But you don't really need inside info to see how AA/CP has no real future in Tesla. AA/CP are generic, off the shelf bolt-ons that a manufacturer uses when they want to avoid the time and cost of developing and actively improving a bespoke UX, as Tesla has, and feel a generic version of the non-vehicle specific UX, that isn't tightly integrated with the vehicle specific UX, is enough.

Except CP wipes the floor with that Tesla has. Maybe they should hire someone with some CP background knowledge to improve the car's interface. The plus to an 'off the shelf bolt on', is it works pretty damn well.

Except CP wipes the floor with that Tesla has. Maybe they should hire someone with some CP background knowledge to improve the car's interface. The plus to an 'off the shelf bolt on', is it works pretty damn well.
I have a CP vehicle, too. It most certainly does not, it is positively caveman UX.

I do wish there was even tighter integration to my phone from the Tesla UI. There has been some progress there, with the start of hands free SMS, but more ground to go.

But as an overall integrated UX CP is years behind. Uultimately it is hobbled in the disjoint from the car’s native functionlaity.

PS I’m unhappy how much thermal stress it puts on my phone. Although maybe that’s just GM’s implementation?

Last edited:
I have a CP vehicle, too. It most certainly does not.

To each their own, but evidence suggests otherwise. The voice recognition is notably slower (and less accurate) in the Tesla UI. The inability to view and change your phone music from the screen is another huge pitfall. The latest version of Apple Maps, visual looks significantly better than Google maps. The ability to use Waze is a huge plus for lots of people. Also with the lack of Sirius XM, CP would give you the ability to use Sirius on the screen. Oh yeah Tesla messaging can't handle iMessage group chats at all.

To each their own, but evidence suggests otherwise. The voice recognition is notably slower (and less accurate) in the Tesla UI. The inability to view and change your phone music from the screen is another huge pitfall.
As I said, hope to see the ongoing improvements in integration proceed. But CP is the easy, sloppy way to get there. Architecturally inherently limited in how good it can get.

The latest version of Apple Maps, visual looks significantly better than Google maps. The ability to use Waze is a huge plus for lots of people.
Using any mapping in CP feels like I’m fighting with some 20th century computer.

It’d be nice to have all the Waze info beyond current level Tesla has but in the end that’s all buried under crap UX.

And if the phone gets used for something else, well too bad, so sad.
Also with the lack of Sirius XM, CP would give you the ability to use Sirius on the screen.
At the sacrifice of the screen. At best a bunch of work would end up with bizzaro looking pip graphic element in the way.

The reason it works at all with other vehicles is because of how primitive their overall screen UX is. For the Tesla this is your entire instrumentation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'm curious as to why your opinion is vastly different from mine. Could you please provide some examples of what makes CarPlay UX "positively caveman" and what makes the Tesla native UI not caveman? Thanks.
Key parts:
1) effectively one app at a time on the screen (what is this, 1980's?)
2) heavily vertical navigation tree, you have to drill up and down to get places, with all the car related stuff stuff way in the background
3) the map manipulation/navigation on CP is so very old UX, like over a decade old in how you use it and get around (like the iPad never happened)
4) use the phone at all, lose CP, this particular point drives my wife up the wall

Last edited:
  • Informative
Key parts:
1) effectively one app at a time on the screen (what is this, 1980's?)
2) heavily vertical navigation tree, you have to drill up and down to get places, with all the car related stuff stuff way in the background
3) the map manipulation/navigation on CP is so very old UX, like over a decade old in how you use it and get around (like the iPad never happened)
4) use the phone at all, lose CP, this particular point drives my wife up the wall

Just another opinion but I think 2 and 3 are especially subjective.
2) not quite sure what you mean CP is a pretty flat navigation structure
3) this is completely subjective I use the map via google maps all the time and it seems pretty in line with the iOS app. Maybe your'e talking about apple maps? in any event this is at the discretion of the app writer not a function of CP itself

1) This is by design and is for very good reason and that's to minimize distraction.
4) I've never found this to be an issue with daily use on my motorcycle. Then again the idea is to use the drivers phone which you shouldn't be messing with directly ( It's even illegal here )when driving.

Also in a world where this is still sold I don't think you get to even remotely call the CP interface "caveman" Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.59.05 PM.png

• Informative
2) not quite sure what you mean CP is a pretty flat navigation structure
Not when you include the overall UX. You have to pop into and back out of CP to read and manipulate to things about your car and then drill back down into CP afterwards. This schizophrenia is antithesis of good UX.

3) this is completely subjective I use the map via google maps all the time and it seems pretty in line with the iOS app. Maybe your'e talking about apple maps? in any event this is at the discretion of the app writer not a function of CP itself
Uhhhhhh.....Google Maps and IOS Maps in CP are both not like using an iPad natively. I'm punching with my finger like crazy to navigate around it. I can't fathom how this "completely subjective".

EDIT: As for "discretion of the app writer", if there are multiple apps that are acting this way there's probably a good underlying architecture reason. And even if there wasn't CP isn't anything without the apps, so if the apps aren't there......for whatever reason.
4) I've never found this to be an issue with daily use on my motorcycle. Then again the idea is to use the drivers phone which you shouldn't be messing with directly ( It's even illegal here )when driving.
1) A motorcycle is a very different thing as your passenger won't be doing anything either. They need to STFU, hold on, and [depending on your preference] act like they are the driver's backpack rather than flipping through on a phone. :)
2) Your motorcycle doesn't and won't for a very long time have driving automation anywhere near AP.
3) No safety concern at all about stopping at the curb to use an app (that isn't supported by CP) but it tends to mess with what the vehicle is displaying and pops you out of where you were.

And at the end of it all #1 on the list, one-app-visible-at-a-time alone makes it DOA for candidacy as a "good UX".

I can see where that isn't much of an issue on a motorcycle, but a motorcycle is a very different driving environment. It is extremely rare that I'd ever glance at instrumentation on a motorcycle in any way much less manipulate things, too busy staying alive.

Last edited:
Not when you include the overall UX. You have to pop into and back out of CP to read and manipulate to things about your car and then drill back down into CP afterwards. This schizophrenia is antithesis of good UX.

I guess I'm not "manipulating things about my car" as much as you. On my motorcycle I never leave the CP UI on the cars I've driven with it I rarely leave it. but even if I do the CP UI is it's own "app" when integrated with a cars own UI like that and it should be thought of as such. If you're leaving the CP UI Apple cannot do anything about that experience they have no control over that nor should they. As I said before CP is a flat UI for the most part. That sounds more like bad UI design on the part of the cars software designers than a CP issue

Uhhhhhh.....Google Maps and IOS Maps in CP are both not like using an iPad natively. I'm punching with my finger like crazy to navigate around it. I can't fathom how this "completely subjective".

Again this is why it's subjective. I have no issues with maps navigation on CP I don't even know what you're describing as the issue here.

1) A motorcycle is a very different thing as your passenger won't be doing anything either. They need to STFU, hold on, and [depending on your preference] act like they are the driver's backpack rather than flipping through on a phone. :)
2) Your motorcycle doesn't and won't for a very long time have driving automation anywhere near AP.
3) No safety concern at all about stopping at the curb to use an app (that isn't supported by CP) but it tends to mess with what the vehicle is displaying and pops you out of where you were.

Again why this is all subjective. I'm of the mind that if my phone is hosting CP I'm interacting with it via CP as the driver. My wife has a phone of her own she can fiddle with from the passenger seat.

And at the end of it all #1 on the list, one-app-visible-at-a-time alone makes it DOA for candidacy as a "good UX".

I can see where that isn't much of an issue on a motorcycle, but a motorcycle is a very different driving environment. It is extremely rare that I'd ever glance at instrumentation on a motorcycle in any way much less manipulate things, too busy staying alive.

Disagree. As I've said I've used CP on many cars as well. I used the motorcycle as my example because I use it daily there. 1. You're really mischaracterizing the experience of riding a motorcycle. and 2. like I've said before 1 app at a time was a design decision and this isn't just my opinion Android auto made the same decision. Most other head units with any sort of GUI make the exact same decision.