Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 75D is at 375km down from 379km.
3 years, 103,000km on the clock.
I’ll take those numbers.
index.php

Also notice the relativistic length contraction as well (although not exactly accurate). :)
Remember. ALL of the above depends upon the state of the Piecost confribulator. I can’t believe how many people fail to plug that particular variable into the calculation.

I’ve also heard EVs won’t depreciate as much as ICE vehicles. Lol.

Tesla's are the only EV's that hold their long-term value better than ICE cars. At least that was true until the Model 3 was released causing the Model S values to take a big hit. All new cars depreciate like crazy right off the lot, we know that. The question for someone like me who tends to keep their cars as long as they are reliable and drive well is, after 150,000 miles and 10 years of use, do they retain significant value? EV's like the Leaf, with a history of limited battery life, do not. You can't lump depreciation of all EV's together because it varies so much between the manufacturers.

I can see why: a few years ago I test drove a Ford Fusion Energi, which used 90% of the trunk space for their stacks of batteries. Horrible solution.
I had one for 3 years. Nice car! $43,000 list price! You could fit 2 carry on suitcases, a duffel bag and several small items in the trunk. Creativity was needed. My Model 3 trunk seams cavernous when I load for a trip.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I am so sick and tired of having to defend this car that when I"m now asked about it, I tell the inquirer that this car is not for them and that they should not buy one.

That puts them on the defensive.
I like it.

“This car is too fast/powerful/exciting for you. You wouldn’t like it.”

“This car is very sophisticated and advanced. You wouldn’t understand it.”

“This car is the future. You’re not ready for it.”

Not too insulting, but leaves them open to ask a question that you can elaborate. Choose your follow-up answers wisely.

Tesla's are the only EV's that hold their long-term value better than ICE cars. At least that was true until the Model 3 was released causing the Model S values to take a big hit. All new cars depreciate like crazy right off the lot, we know that. The question for someone like me who tends to keep their cars as long as they are reliable and drive well is, after 150,000 miles and 10 years of use, do they retain significant value? EV's like the Leaf, with a history of limited battery life, do not. You can't lump depreciation of all EV's together because it varies so much between the manufacturers.

Agreed. Highly dependent on many factors, and cannot draw conclusions for the 3 based on a different model of Tesla car. Which is why I found it funny when I heard these predictions.

The whole idea of Model 3 is to make it a mass production vehicle, so if they are successful with that, it should drive the price way down due to economics.

Anyway, I will be pleasantly surprised if my Tesla is worth more than 25% of what I paid for it (“paid for” means subtracting 7.5k from the sale price) in 14 years after 150k miles. Will be tough to outdo the 37% value my Subaru had over that same timeframe and miles!

Very, very specific to make and model and situation.

Anyway, I will be pleasantly surprised if my Tesla is worth more than 25% of what I paid for it (“paid for” means subtracting 7.5k from the sale price) in 14 years after 150k miles. Will be tough to outdo the 37% value my Subaru had over that same timeframe and miles!

Very, very specific to make and model and situation.

Agreed, very specific. Was your Subaru one who's longterm value was buoyed by popular use as a racing platform? That's a huge part of say 20 year old Miatas with plenty of miles still holding about 25% of their original MSRP.

Agreed, very specific. Was your Subaru one who's longterm value was buoyed by popular use as a racing platform? That's a huge part of say 20 year old Miatas with plenty of miles still holding about 25% of their original MSRP.

Blobeye in my avatar proved to be more popular than other late model body styles. Fairly mysterious. 150k miles on the original engine...yikes. :eek: Gotta know when to fold ‘em. Nowhere near as good as a Miata (with the Subaru, I had to do all my steering before getting on the gas as far as I could tell)! Subaru was more versatile though.

I like it.

“This car is too fast/powerful/exciting for you. You wouldn’t like it.”

“This car is very sophisticated and advanced. You wouldn’t understand it.”

“This car is the future. You’re not ready for it.”

Not too insulting, but leaves them open to ask a question that you can elaborate. Choose your follow-up answers wisely.
This is similar to what I do. I just don’t bother trying to convince skeptics anymore. I just tell them it’s not for everyone, but it suits my lifestyle.

I actually got a break when I took delivery of my car. Because Tesla doesn’t have model years, my car was sold as 2018 actual build date of June 2018, delivery March 5th. Here in MA we have the wonderful excise tax in addition to 6% sales tax. MA valued my car at way less than if it was a 2019. So I’ve got that going for me. Makes the resale hit a little less painful.

FWIW I sold my Lexus after 11 years for almost 40% of what I originally paid for it. Only had about 85k miles on it though- I expect my Tesla will have considerably more miles and be worth considerably less after that time.
Yes mileage is a problem with Tesla's. In the 3 months I've had mine we've added 1/4 the km my last car had in 7 years. Oops...

Statistically, most people rarely if ever go on such trips (in the US anyway)

Certainly some do so often. But vastly more than there are EVs for sale don't. Another huge chunk do but so rarely it'd be much cheaper to buy an EV and rent an ICE car once or twice a year than buy gas for/maintain an ICE vehicle all year.

Until that changes, a national charging infrastructure won't be "vital" to having enough buyers for all EVs ever made.

Sure. And there's certainly going to be folks who objectively don't "need" a national charging network but just have anxiety that makes them "feel" like they do.

But again until the amount of EVs on the market is more than single-digits of the total market, that's not really going to be a barrier to selling EVs to the plenty-more folks who don't' need such a network, and realize it.

back to sample size of 1 though- I actually drive significantly more than average daily... but still well under the range of my EV. I've only taken one trip in many thousands of miles that actually required using a supercharger (or any public charger)- and if that network didn't exist I'd have just rented something for the long weekend for like $100- which is half the amount I save on not buying gas in a single month with the EV.

So while the SC network is nice, I absolutely don't need it, and it not existing wouldn't have changed my purchase.

The statistics bear out that most people don't need a charging network. Nor do we need gas stations on the highway; we could take a bus or airplane for long trips. However, we ALL need the charging network, even if we never use it. In America, cars are a tangible expression of our freedom. If we choose, we can go anywhere we want, when we want, without any checkpoints ("Papers, please?"). Having a vehicle enables that freedom, even if we do not exercise it on a regular basis. That's the culture. If you remove that from the equation most Americans will not buy a $50k grocery-getter. And if Tesla can't sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year to people who would otherwise not by an EV what would happen? The prices would have to go up, if they even made the vehicles at all. The SC network is what enables the $35k M3 (or $39k, or whatever) to be a reality. Without the SC network, if they only make 10k Model 3 units per year, would you be willing to spend $200k for one? The SC network is VITAL for Tesla's continued success in gaining market share, and we all want to see more of these on the road.

I am not a Tesla Fanboy. I'm a car guy. I bought my M3 because it is a great car, not to save the planet. I'm a new owner and never been to a supercharger yet, but I wouldn't have bought one without the SC network.