Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the real differences in OEM M3 Performance suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mdh

VIN 2747 P4679
Jul 30, 2012
Saratoga,CA
I am trying to understand if there are real differences in M3 AWD and M3 Performance AWD suspension besides being about 1/2 inch lower. Tesla can't give me a clear answer.

Ideally, I would like to buy the performance package (if there are goodies with the performance suspension), but sell/swap out the 20 wheels for 19's. I know the 18's are not compatible with the OEM performance brakes. But, if there are no real differences in the suspension, I will just get the AWD with performance speed option (not the full blown performance package).

thank you!

I am trying to understand if there are real differences in M3 AWD and M3 Performance AWD suspension besides being about 1/2 inch lower. Tesla can't give me a clear answer.

Ideally, I would like to buy the performance package (if there are goodies with the performance suspension), but sell/swap out the 20 wheels for 19's. I know the 18's are not compatible with the OEM performance brakes. But, if there are no real differences in the suspension, I will just get the AWD with performance speed option (not the full blown performance package).

thank you!

The PNs are different for the shock/spring assembly and the sway bars (1mm difference on the sways but no info on rates for that or the shocks/springs)

Other than that- 0.39 inch drop.

AFAIK that's all the info out there.

Personally I think the P3D- is a much better deal, avoid the 20" boat anchor wheels, and leave you 5k in your pocket for whatever aftermarket suspension or wheels or brake parts you prefer that'll likely be better than Teslas parts anyway.

The PNs are different for the shock/spring assembly and the sway bars (1mm difference on the sways but no info on rates for that or the shocks/springs)

Personally I think the P3D- is a much better deal, avoid the 20" boat anchor wheels, and leave you 5k in your pocket for whatever aftermarket suspension or wheels or brake parts you prefer that'll likely be better than Teslas parts anyway.

Thank you so much for responding. I am wondering if i will be able to appreciate the suspension enhancements if I have 19 or 20 inch wheels? BTW, do you think the 19 inch OEM wheels will fit with the higher performance brake calipers?

Thank you so much for responding. I am wondering if i will be able to appreciate the suspension enhancements if I have 19 or 20 inch wheels? BTW, do you think the 19 inch OEM wheels will fit with the higher performance brake calipers?
If you are thinking of swapping the 20"s out why go with OEM at all? I'm hardly an expert but I don't think most would be able to feel much from the suspension difference.

If you are thinking of swapping the 20"s out why go with OEM at all? I'm hardly an expert but I don't think most would be able to feel much from the suspension difference.

Great question. I am thinking that I would have problems with Tesla Roadside service as their spare wheel/tire might be a problem given there is no spare for the car. I am likely overthinking things :). Getting the performance brakes and better suspension is nice and I likely avoid warranty challenges from Tesla and their service/repair team will be able to handle all matters. I am an early MS owner and had many issues early on (Tesla handled them all).

Earlier you convinced me that the P3D+ was lower due to the link geometry and that otherwise all models had the same basic spring characteristics (despite wildly different part #'s across the board, even within like models) Did you find evidence for the contrary?

thank you!

The suspension difference is marginal. Slightly firmer sway bars and dampers and spring rates but Tesla does not seem to share the information.

The Stealth (P-) is a good deal if you just want the acceleration but not interested as much in the better PS4S tires, bigger 20" wheels (fills out the wheel well). The bigger brakes are nice but they come with low dust street pads that don't have a lot of bite. Performance pads would be recommended for track work.

thank you!

Not a big difference in the suspension but the tires are good for better cornering and braking. The 20"s are heavy but I like the way they look but I wish they were wider. The bigger brakes are nice and look the part but they include low dust street pads. If you plan to hit the track I would upgrade them. I used to mod my cars but I am getting older now and just want to get in a drive. I was getting spoiled with my previous Corvette GrandSport and Camaro 1LE. You get to pick your brakes, spoiler, wheels, suspension, dual mode exhaust, lots of custom interior and exterior options, etc. If they P- was out when I purchased I would probably get that model with 19"s and then once the Continental tires wore out I would install some Michelins and call it a day since Tesla does not differentiate the performance trim all that much.

Earlier you convinced me that the P3D+ was lower due to the link geometry and that otherwise all models had the same basic spring characteristics (despite wildly different part #'s across the board, even within like models) Did you find evidence for the contrary?

I believe I suggested that might be the reason it's lower (the link stuff) but I don't believe I ever said the rates are definitively the same.

I did say it seemed weird they'd bother to develop special lowering springs that ONLY gave you a .39" drop.

Then again they bothered to make a different "P" sway bar with only a 1 mm difference in size.

That's unconnected to the RATE of the springs of course (likewise any difference in the shocks to match them)

As the bit you quote notes- we have no details on the actual difference of the P3D+ shock/spring assembly, other than it's a different part number.

I'm kinda surprised one of the aftermarket performance places hasn't tested and published this kinda info though for the shocks springs as UP did for the sway bars... (or if they have I haven't seen it and would love to)

I recently picked up my 2020 LR AWD. I decided against the P3D+ as many of the intangibles (track mode, higher top speed, insane acceleration) are not necessary for daily commuting. I do highly prefer the slightly lower stance on the P3D+ and do not want to tinker with aftermarket suspension parts. Has anyone ever had Tesla swap in the OEM P3D+ suspension components to obtain the ~0.5 inch drop on a non-performance M3? I understand the wheel gap difference is minimal, but it is especially noticeable when 20" wheels are installed on a stock height LR AWD.

I recently picked up my 2020 LR AWD. I decided against the P3D+ as many of the intangibles (track mode, higher top speed, insane acceleration) are not necessary for daily commuting. I do highly prefer the slightly lower stance on the P3D+ and do not want to tinker with aftermarket suspension parts. Has anyone ever had Tesla swap in the OEM P3D+ suspension components to obtain the ~0.5 inch drop on a non-performance M3? I understand the wheel gap difference is minimal, but it is especially noticeable when 20" wheels are installed on a stock height LR AWD.

I think folks usually turn to the aftermarket once you start tinkering with the suspension. For example, here is a lowering spring set.

Unplugged Performance Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs Tesla Model 3

I don’t find the suspension all that much stiffer on the P3D+ vs LR AWD. All Model 3s suffer way to much body roll for track or autocross...it’s perfect for street use though. The Model 3 really needs a magnaride /adjustable dampers like it’s competitors. I would go 3rd party for sure if you’re looking for a sportier ride.

Reactions: raptor5244
The Model 3 really needs a magnaride /adjustable dampers like it’s competitors. I would go 3rd party for sure if you’re looking for a sportier ride.

Agreed. If they offered an adaptive suspension option for $1,500-$2,000k I would bet they would get a lot of takers. Adaptive suspensions are great since they appeal to customers that want to soften the ride as well as those looking to firm up the ride. You get the best of both worlds with the touch of a button. Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Cadillacs, Challengers/Chargers, BMWs, Audi, Toyota Avalon, even the $24k Honda Civic comes with adaptive dampers now. Seeing how many posts there are about the suspension of Model 3s, they should probably think of adding it to future models, at least as an option.

Reactions: DR61
Yup.

https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47406
Notice one bar is 28mm and one is 29mm?

https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47403
Notice one bar is 19.6mm and one is 16mm?

(Unplugged performances aftermarket bars FWIW are 31.8mm and 22m respectively)
Yeah I looked it up - their naming standards are all over the place. Nothing indicating the P but that’s probably what it is. I’ve heard H&R will be coming out with bars for the Model 3, also, so we’ll have more options.

I think folks usually turn to the aftermarket once you start tinkering with the suspension.

my problem in the past with aftermarket is that you have no idea how the car characteristics will change, just the words of others. What ends up happening to me (ironically) is that people will say so and so spring is bone jarring/stiffer etc and then after the swap it’s obviously not the case.

With the p3d+ I’m assuming that the engineers would have made them close in spec, and that’s why I would trust OEM equipment over trying to decide between all of the aftermarket stuff.

Ive also read way too many times that people regretted replacing the springs on their M3 and eventually went with MPP coils overs. While I now understand that’s the logical choice, I would rather find a cheap set of P3D+ Springs collecting dust (assuming that they are actually different)

Yeah I looked it up - their naming standards are all over the place. Nothing indicating the P but that’s probably what it is. I’ve heard H&R will be coming out with bars for the Model 3, also, so we’ll have more options.

FWIW when the parts catalog was first opened to the public there was more description- there's an old thread I started at the time that has some of the longer descriptions on the suspension and drive unit parts in there- Tesla later removed a lot of it (from the public view catalog anyway, I'd expect it's still in the non-public one but I don't know for sure).