Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your home electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rate varies from month to month due to fuel cost recovery variation as well as a half dozen other items that come and go. So it’s been $.09-$.12 for the past year or so. I prefer to exclude the fixed customer charge when thinking about EV charging and just consider charges that are per kWh.
But some utilities have no fixed customer charge (raises hand). Mine will only charge a minimum (see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf) if you have 0 usage (I guess per day) of $0.376 per meter per day.

$0.36/KWh Eastern MA

Also I doubt your rate is so low. You need to take your Electric bill and then divide by the KWh used. That gives the true cost of electricity. Because your final bill is made up of many charges. Please do that math on your last bill and post your true cost per KWh.

Reactions: cwerdna
For anyone still having questions about OP. Assuming it’s ComEd, that rate is base for just electricity, not any of the other charges (delivery, taxes, etc).

I have ComEd and if you factor in all the additional taxes and fees, it comes to about $0.16 per kWH. I use this number when comparing to SuperCharging, since this what you’re actually paying.
For us in central Illinois that have Ameren as our source of electric delivery, when you add the base electrical cost plus the grid connection and meter fixed fees, plus the electrical delivery fee plus the multitude of taxes the cost comes to approximately $0.18. In June 2023 I installed solar panels plus a 16kWh solar battery. For Illinois, we have full net metering for the the solar installation (for solar installations prior to December 31, 2024). During the spring, summer and fall, my cost to fill my 2023 MYLR is nearly $0. Solar power plus a Tesla is not only a benefit for the environment, it is economically reasonable. With a solar battery, I have back up power when the grid fails due to weather. Distributive power generation enhances the robustness of the local electrical grid. After incentives, tax credits and SREC payments from the utility, The solar power install should pay for itself during the next 4 years. For my true electrical cost over the year, this comes to about 80% solar resulting in a cost of my electric consumption of approximately of $0.04/kWh. Ameren is currently asking for another large rate hike for electricity. If granted this will reduce my payback period on my solar panel system.

Reactions: OxBrew
$0.11 in FL
With the usual caveats - fuel rates vary, taxes on consumption above 500kwh not counted, monthly service fee. The utility pays me $7/mo to charge my ev overnight.

1705844190683.png

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
I just checked my latest NJ PSE&G bill.for December 2023
I used 741 kWh of electric that cost $140.44 which equals $0.1895 kWh
Also in this bill I received a credit for off peak charging from Aug 2023 thru Nov 2023 of $111.05

I called PECO last week.
Answer may not include incidentals.
I callled because monthly bill states “price to compare” was about 0.8.
I am on TOU plan.
Integrated Powerwall used during peak hours (purchased w/ 30% tax credit):

0.28 peak
0.0629 off peek
0.0406 super off peak (12-6 AM)

Mine is the highest I've seen in awhile, as it fluctuates based on a few variables. I'm in a Chicago suburb that is not controlled by ComEd. It came out to a little over .12/kWh. We do not have peak/off-peak rates. It's a flat rate for the month. The last time I checked, it was adjusted down to ~.10/kWh. Not complaining, though. :)

SF, $0.35 at our cheapest rate midnight to 3pm. I really don't like PGE, they killed solar w/ NEM 3.

with $5/gallon gas in the Bay Area, a Model S is cost equivalent to a 2008 Prius, for cost / range. (interestingly, you can buy the two for a similar price w/ used EV rebates)

for electricity in the $0.15/kwh range, one would need a vehicle capable of 90 mpg ($5/gallon) for equivalent cost / range.

for your own specifics, this is the calculator: EV Savings Calculator - How much can you save with an electric vehicle?

1705851242930.png

$0.36/KWh Eastern MA

Also I doubt your rate is so low. You need to take your Electric bill and then divide by the KWh used. That gives the true cost of electricity. Because your final bill is made up of many charges. Please do that math on your last bill and post your true cost per KWh.
That is absolutely true, but could be a bit misleading, depending on what you are really interested in. It is the true cost of the electricity used in the car plus the car's share of the overhead charges. If you would have had electricity anyway for the house, then you would have had those flat rate overhead charges and the additional cost of the EV is really only the cost per kwh base rate times the kwh used.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
I don't include base charges and fees. I'd be paying those regardless. I could see including some kWh at the next tier of charges (12 cents vs 9 cents), but we never hit that 3 seasons, only in winter, and not due to the EV (we always hit that before too, and it's really minimal)

Reactions: legendsk
Florida Power & Light. The first 1,000 kWh are a few cents cheaper than the usage over 1,000 kWh, so taking the total bill, with the three different taxes, and the $9.48 "base fee" results in a blended cost per kWh of 16.45¢ per kWh last month.

I do not have time of day rate but it is available. Since we are retired, we use a lot of power during the day. I need to do an analysis and see if switching to TOD would make sense for us especially since our solar does reduce the amount of power we purchase during the peak time.

Our solar system only replaces about 1/4th of our consumption. Production in winter months is about 1/2 of what we see in the summer months. We have net metering but send very little energy to FP&L.

FP&L has an EV plan where they install an EVSE, and for $38 / month you get unlimited charging during off peak for one EV. However it requires an 8 year contract and their klunky EVSE with the non Tesla connector.

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 12.29.16 PM.png

Reactions: CaseyL
I don't include base charges and fees. I'd be paying those regardless. I could see including some kWh at the next tier of charges (12 cents vs 9 cents), but we never hit that 3 seasons, only in winter, and not due to the EV (we always hit that before too, and it's really minimal)
I disagree. Almost all of those charges are directly dependent on the amount of electricity used. The less you use, the less you pay. Except perhaps the customer charge (or meter charge) that is fixed. You can see a sample bill for Eastern MA here:

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
That is absolutely true, but could be a bit misleading, depending on what you are really interested in. It is the true cost of the electricity used in the car plus the car's share of the overhead charges. If you would have had electricity anyway for the house, then you would have had those flat rate overhead charges and the additional cost of the EV is really only the cost per kwh base rate times the kwh used.
Which is why a lot of folks are suggesting to OP to keep his pervious months bills. He can then compare them or simply use the electricity (KWh) used from Tesla app to figure out how much of that went to his car (lets ignore any losses, etc). This will approximately give him how much it is costing him to charge his car.

Reactions: legendsk
I have solar rate with one of the CA irrigation districts (water and power): $.065/ kWh off peak, $0.105/ kWh on peak. Once you add grid connection charge, demand charge, government taxes and misc below the line fees, average out-the-door-price I pay is $0.165 per kWh. This is winter rates: summer is about 10-15% higher.

My local power co-op has a flat rate of 13.5¢/kWh, or about 3.5¢/mile in my Y LR. Since I have solar panels, I only pay the monthly service charge, now up to about $23/month (they have been raising the monthly service charge but not the kWh charge the last five years, to better distribute costs of those of us with net metering).

My impression is that our electric rate is pretty average for much of the country but the costs reported here are quite varied!