Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your home electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im curios how you arrive at this number while you have utility bill in front of you. Cause they tack 1000 other charges.
Is the best way to divide the bill total with total kwh used that month (I believe that would be all inclusive and fair) ?

I’m in Connecticut and rates seem way too high when I came across .08c or even .26c. Establishing best way to get that number would be first step in clarity.

PS - In CT, with Eversource, it’s around .29c - .32c per kwh which seems very very high (I’m frankly astonished at .08c or anything under .20c)
Glad I don't live in CT any more. CT (Greenwich) expat now in FL, about 16¢ down here (dividing total bill by total kWh).

Is the best way to divide the bill total with total kwh used that month
No

You are calculating the average cost per kWh, when you are probably interested in the marginal cost per kWh (weight averaged across any price tiers you may cross.)

Here is the problem: Say you want to know how much it costs to fuel your EV, and you know how many kWh the EV consumes each month
Your electric bill is stable month to month (just an exercise to point out the problem with your method)
Can you tell me what your future bill will be with your method ?

The answer is a big No. How much you will be off varies by the specifics of your utility billing structure and your baseline consumption, but your estimate can easily be off by 30% for the EV portion. This thread has already posted the correct way to calculate marginal kWh cost.

No

You are calculating the average cost per kWh, when you are probably interested in the marginal cost per kWh (weight averaged across any price tiers you may cross.)

Here is the problem: Say you want to know how much it costs to fuel your EV, and you know how many kWh the EV consumes each month
Your electric bill is stable month to month (just an exercise to point out the problem with your method)
Can you tell me what your future bill will be with your method ?

The answer is a big No. How much you will be off varies by the specifics of your utility billing structure and your baseline consumption, but your estimate can easily be off by 30% for the EV portion. This thread has already posted the correct way to calculate marginal kWh cost.
I have thought about doing it this way, but in my case it results in only a few 10ths of a cent difference in the result.

It depends on how much difference there is in the different rate tiers.

IMG_0505.jpeg

Sacramento area. (SMUD)

$24.15 fixed infrastructure fee + $0.12 state fee.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
I am also in NC, but in the Charlotte metro. Per the Duke website:

RATE I. Basic Customer Charge per month $ 14.00 II. Energy Charge per month, per kWh* 11.4311¢

From my bill: Basic Facility Charge $14.00 Energy Charge 139.71 Storm Recovery Charge 1,200.000 kWh @ $0.00058100 0.66 Renewable Energy Rider 0.81

Total Current Charges $155.18 Your current rate is Residential Service (RS).Billing details - TaxesSales Tax For Utility $10.86 Total Taxes $10.86
Averages out to $0.138366 per kWh.
I'm a little higher with the fees. My cost with fees and taxes "out the door price" is 0.15165914221219 per kWh

Alameda Municipal Power:
Tier 1: 0.1243
Tier 2: 0.19794
Tier 3: 0.29453
But I’ve got a solar system that outproduces our consumption…so most months I charge for free (well, not for free; the solar panels are leased so I have a monthly charge for them)

On Cape Cod the rate with delivery is 37 cents per kWh with no time of use plans available. I just had 36 panels of solar (14.58 kW) installed last month, it averages out to 16.5 cents per kWh. I sized the system for about 195% of my need to support future EV’s. I paid for the system outright, so I look at it as free power going forward. My first couple weeks on the panels and I’ve sent 164 kWh net back to the grid. The currently available net metering program here is credits at retail including delivery instead of a check, so I’m likely buying a MYLR this month to burn more “free” power and reduce out of pocket gasoline costs.

IMG_6209.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: mborkow
On Cape Cod the rate with delivery is 37 cents per kWh with no time of use plans available. I just had 36 panels of solar (14.58 kW) installed last month, it averages out to 16.5 cents per kWh. I sized the system for about 195% of my need to support future EV’s. I paid for the system outright, so I look at it as free power going forward. My first couple weeks on the panels and I’ve sent 164 kWh net back to the grid. The currently available net metering program here is credits at retail including delivery instead of a check, so I’m likely buying a MYLR this month to burn more “free” power and reduce out of pocket gasoline costs.

Some simple math & assumptions...

Say you paid $50k for the solar setup. Over 20 years it will cost you ~$550/month. $50k @5% compounded over 20 years = ~$133,000.00, /240 months = ~$550.

Some simple math & assumptions...

Say you paid $50k for the solar setup. Over 20 years it will cost you ~$550/month. $50k @5% compounded over 20 years = ~$133,000.00, /240 months = ~$550.
You are correct, the initial investment could make a return elsewhere so the power isn’t free. If we didn’t purchase the solar we would’ve paid down mortgage principle with the $50K. We will get back $16K on our 2024 taxes from 30% federal and $1000 state incentives for a net cost of $34K. The system is expected to produce about $5500-6000 per year at the 37 cents per kWh rate, the ROI on $34K and $5500 per year is 6.18 years. Assuming the $5500 per year is good for the remainder of the 25 year warranty period on the panels the system should produce $103,510 in paid for electricity. $34K at 5% for 25 years would yield $118K, the solar looks like a 4.46% return. With future inflation and rising electric rates as the state mandates transition to renewables our return on the investment should be higher. Adding the EV to use that prepaid electricity will allow us to save approximately $100 per month on gasoline, shortening the ROI on the solar to just over five years. If they come out with an aggressive time of use program I might not see the same return on investment, time will tell.

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
When people post these rates, they should include all costs.

In west MI:

Rate by itself: .078 vs .106 (EV rate vs on peak rate)
Extra fees: .09164
Total: 16.9c

Rates change in summer.

Last edited:
I searched a bit and didn't see any UK rates in here, so here you go, just for a bit of context and interest...

Home tarifs:
Octopus Intelligent Go EV Tarif (that's probably the very best tarif around in the UK for EVs).
Peak 05.30-23.30 £0.30 per kwh (sell surplus, eg solar pv at £0.15 per kwh)
Off Peak 23.30-05.30 £0.075 per kwh.
(I reckon £0.30 is about $0.38, and £0.75 is about $0.09.)
That's broadly the same for the whole of the UK give or take a penny or two.

Tesla supercharger points in the UK are typically about £0.50 per kwh ($0.63)

Petrol and Diesel prices in the UK are around about £1.40 per litre (that's about $1.76)

MA State can spend $115 million (and more) to feed and house illegal immigrants but the DPU cannot negotiate with the utilities to offer discounted EV charging. And the governor has plans to have millions of EVs on the road. Tax dollars are being totally well spent.
Until Beacon Hill gets their collective heads out of their asses, the stupidity will continue. It’s going on two years since Baker signed the 25 kW cap for home solar to get full credits, but my new system will still be capped at 10kW this summer. Why not ease the state’s burden by inviting an illegal immigrant family to come live in your home like Healey is suggesting?

In west MI:

Rates change in summer.
I divide my total bill by the number of kWh used for a given month when I post numbers. At this point the delivery fees are exceeding the supply fees. On the good side the utility rolls out an army of trucks and gear before the storm so outages are short if they happen.

PSEG Long Island offers a Time of Use plan (TOU). Current rates using rate code 192 as follows:

Power Supply Charges:
Peak: @ $ .180870
Off Peak: @ $ .099173
Super Off Peak: @ $ .059577 >>> from 10 pm to 6 am >>> the scheduled time I charge my Tesla

Delivery System Charges:
Peak: @ $ .1762
Off Peak: @ $ .1033
Super Off Peak: $ .0620 = >>> from 10 pm to 6 am >>> the scheduled time I charge my Tesla

Therefore, the effective "super off peak "rate is $0.1215 per KWH.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

In west MI:

Rates change in summer.
Rates can be tricky.
I have a mix of flat rates and per kWh rates.
The flat rates, IMO should not be included.

In my case, my solar produces enough to cover the electricity rates plus all other fees. The net metering is pegged to the electricity rates, so it will continue to cover the costs regardless of rate increases.

A good, and independent PUC is critical for any state.

Reactions: dgpcolorado