Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What "Cowbells" Do You Want to See on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...as a ESL student, what cowbell means anyway? Like a eater egg? I mean, my dictionary ..says,,,well,,it is a cow bell..

It doesn't translate exactly to a foreign language. It's kind of a figure of speech. It basically means extra features and surprises. Kind of like an Easter Egg. Somewhat like "bells and whistles" another term used in American English, which oddly enough, has its origins in theater organs, which had a lot of sound effects to accompany movies, literally "bells and whistles."

• Helpful
Reactions: spottyq
More_zpsjtw5jqej.jpg

Elon made two tweets last night that heavily implied it will NOT have a steering wheel. Joystick anyone? (Saab showed this in the 90s).

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk on Twitter

I guess that could be one interpretation, but I wouldn't say it was heavily implied...

I'm going to have to agree with PeteW's post, I think not having a steering wheel would be too drastic, although it's a bit early to speculate since we don't know what would be Tesla's option. I'm more inclined to believe that the steering wheel itself is re-invented, i.e., it's a wheel but has some element that makes it unique and revolutionary?

Once again, not to rain on everyone's parade, but some of the changes are currently limited by the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). For instance, a lot of people have asked why the outside rearview glass mirrors couldn't be replaced with rearview cameras. There's no technical reason they couldn't be, but there's currently a regulatory reason. Same reason Infiniti had to have a mechanical backup system to its "steer-by-wire" system. In time, once the reliability of new technologies can be proven and demonstrated, the standards may change, but for the time being, there are some limitations as to how "radical" EM and Tesla can get.

The car could have no cowbells (except features like autopilot that already exist) and still be the best $35,000 vehicle ever made.

No cowbells please, unless they're certain to not delay production and increase price.

My suggestions are primarily software-related. The only real hardware requirement would be for an exterior loudspeaker. Being at least 18 months out, I don't see how they couldn't be incorporated.

One cowbell I think they should include at this point is an easter egg cowbell in the UI.

BTW, for those asking about the term "cowbell", as far as I know, the use of the word cowbell goes directly back to the Saturday Night Live skits with the cowbell. Yes, it's a bell for a cow. In the skits, they had a band that was using a cowbell as one of the instruments, and they repeadly used the phrase "more cowbell" as part of the comedic act. This was a very popular skit, enough so that it has caught on as kind of a running joke about adding more of something (like more features for the Model 3).

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of the term cowbell being used in such a manner prior to the Saturday Night Live skits.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoang51