TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What "Cowbells" Do You Want to See on the Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by igotzzoom, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

In reference to EM's tweet "Of course it will have more cowbells" what kind of "cowbells" do you want to see offered on the Model 3? My vote is for a Jetson's car driving noise (among other choices), and a configurable horn, with an old-style "oogah" being one of the choices.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. Rexxx

Rexxx Member

...as a ESL student, what cowbell means anyway? Like a eater egg? I mean, my dictionary ..says,,,well,,it is a cow bell..

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#3 S'toon, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    There was a Saturday Night Live sketch.

Bonus material, Christopher Walken dances:
    ]

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The car could have no cowbells (except features like autopilot that already exist) and still be the best $35,000 vehicle ever made.

No cowbells please, unless they're certain to not delay production and increase price.

• Funny x 1
  5. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

It doesn't translate exactly to a foreign language. It's kind of a figure of speech. It basically means extra features and surprises. Kind of like an Easter Egg. Somewhat like "bells and whistles" another term used in American English, which oddly enough, has its origins in theater organs, which had a lot of sound effects to accompany movies, literally "bells and whistles."

• Helpful x 1
  6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thanks for clarifying. "Cowbells" is a twitter-friendly replacement for "bells and whistles".

So... How about self-cleaning paintwork?

7. Dag Johansen

Dag Johansen Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 8
  8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And if you still don't get it, there is a Wikipedia page:
    More cowbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

10. PeteW

PeteW Member

I guess that could be one interpretation, but I wouldn't say it was heavily implied...

11. jkk_

jkk_ Member

I'm going to have to agree with PeteW's post, I think not having a steering wheel would be too drastic, although it's a bit early to speculate since we don't know what would be Tesla's option. I'm more inclined to believe that the steering wheel itself is re-invented, i.e., it's a wheel but has some element that makes it unique and revolutionary?

12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Once again, not to rain on everyone's parade, but some of the changes are currently limited by the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). For instance, a lot of people have asked why the outside rearview glass mirrors couldn't be replaced with rearview cameras. There's no technical reason they couldn't be, but there's currently a regulatory reason. Same reason Infiniti had to have a mechanical backup system to its "steer-by-wire" system. In time, once the reliability of new technologies can be proven and demonstrated, the standards may change, but for the time being, there are some limitations as to how "radical" EM and Tesla can get.

13. eisbock

eisbock Member

If there is no steering wheel, Tesla will face a PR nightmare from all the people crashing their cars.

• Like x 1
  14. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

My suggestions are primarily software-related. The only real hardware requirement would be for an exterior loudspeaker. Being at least 18 months out, I don't see how they couldn't be incorporated.

15. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

More cowbells - yes.

More hubris - no.

16. N5329K

N5329K Member

I just hope that Musk's "spaceship steering" doesn't become the Model 3's falcon wing doors.
    Robin

17. crown

crown New Member

Possibly, but I find it unlikely that Tesla would make such a drastic change on a 35k car that is targeted for mass production.

18. Volare3

Volare3 Member

[​IMG]
    This is what he's talking about, right?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#19 Skotty, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    One cowbell I think they should include at this point is an easter egg cowbell in the UI.

BTW, for those asking about the term "cowbell", as far as I know, the use of the word cowbell goes directly back to the Saturday Night Live skits with the cowbell. Yes, it's a bell for a cow. In the skits, they had a band that was using a cowbell as one of the instruments, and they repeadly used the phrase "more cowbell" as part of the comedic act. This was a very popular skit, enough so that it has caught on as kind of a running joke about adding more of something (like more features for the Model 3).

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of the term cowbell being used in such a manner prior to the Saturday Night Live skits.

• Like x 1
  20. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Definitely cameras instead of sideview mirrors as brought up before... assuming they can get the laws governing that changed.

I'd love a HUD but at least a standard dash display.