Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What "Cowbells" Do You Want to See on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These would be great features for me (options or free cowbells), having 3 little ones:

1. airplane style trays for all 3 backseats. The middle one can come up from below. The side seats should be embedded in the back of the front seats. Once the tray pop out, there should be space to pop in a tablet (iPad or kindle) and a USB port. Yeah the trays should have a drink holder and should be sturdy enough to hold a laptop or have a kid lean on it while doing homework.
2. molded rubber floor mat that goes all the way across the backseat. The floor mat should have some cupping at the corners and edges so as I slide it out of the car, no crumbs will be left behind.
3. 30-40-30 (40-20-40) backseat folding. So with two kids at the edge seats, it is possible to carry long item or access something in the trunk from the front.
4. Driver can choose to allow the rear passenger to change volume and radio stations. I am tired of being my daughter's DJ.

These would be great features for me (options or free cowbells), having 3 little ones:

1. airplane style trays for all 3 backseats. The middle one can come up from below. The side seats should be embedded in the back of the front seats. Once the tray pop out, there should be space to pop in a tablet (iPad or kindle) and a USB port. Yeah the trays should have a drink holder and should be sturdy enough to hold a laptop or have a kid lean on it while doing homework.
2. molded rubber floor mat that goes all the way across the backseat. The floor mat should have some cupping at the corners and edges so as I slide it out of the car, no crumbs will be left behind.
3. 30-40-30 (40-20-40) backseat folding. So with two kids at the edge seats, it is possible to carry long item or access something in the trunk from the front.
4. Driver can choose to allow the rear passenger to change volume and radio stations. I am tired of being my daughter's DJ.

Most likely the floormat will be offered by WeatherTech as either an aftermarket option, or possibly a private-label accessory available through Tesla. The set for the Model S looks like it goes all the way across the rear floor: 2015 Tesla Model S | WeatherTech FloorLiner custom fit car floor protection from mud, water, sand and salt. | WeatherTech.com

Elon made two tweets last night that heavily implied it will NOT have a steering wheel. Joystick anyone? (Saab showed this in the 90s).

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk on Twitter

There is a cover over an opening where it looks like a Joystick could go.

joyhold1.png

Look at Model 3 prototype interior compared to Daimler F200 concept:

f200-3.png

With the F200 style double joystick I guess it could be a true "world car" where it would be the same for left hand drive or right hand drive markets.

Last edited:
There is a cover over an opening where it looks like a Joystick could go.
Look at Model 3 prototype interior compared to Daimler F200 concept:
View attachment 170909

With the F200 style double joystick I guess it could be a true "world car" where it would be the same for left hand drive or right hand drive markets.

Not being left handed I hope to goodness they are not doing this. It would also be pretty tricky to operate the touch screen while driving. Also, why wait until later for RHD markets?

They need to really take on board the Model X hubris comment from yesterday's results.

Please stop people, your scaring me.

There appears to be two types of Tesla people, the Model S people and the Model X people.

I love the Model S, it looks like a normal car, its fast, its electric and brings with it all the advantages electric cars have. The model X, for me sucks, the FWD are stupid, the self presenting front doors are stupid, the non folding 2nd row seats are stupid. I feel sorry for Model S people who need a seven seater.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Elon bring this car back to the Model S and I'll keep my reservation. By all means solve problems that DO exisit. But please do not solve problems that don't exist. Please also DO NOT forget people like us who actually LIKE TO DRIVE.

The non driver instruments is already giving me churning feelings in my stomach. Just remember that the main goal is sustainable personal transport, not wanko factor bling.

I' taking an Ibuprofen and off to bed.

I'd like to see 2 features that exist on almost every vehicle since 1995 -- even on vehicles under $20K.

Lighted visor mirrors
Audio jack instead of Bluetooth only

Also
USB audio support for mobile devices (again instead of Bluetooth only).

They need to really take on board the Model X hubris comment from yesterday's results.

Absolutely. Too many of these ideas seem to be drifting too far to the left on the "fun to have......genuinely useful" scale.

The last thing anyone needs is the Model 3 getting "falconized" (that's code too much new tech crammed into a single model version)

I'm beginning to wish that more cowbells simply means more range/performance for the price.

In short, more cowbells = the gigafactory effect.

I honestly want a basic car. I am a techie/gadget kind of guy but in this case, a simple, quick, 200+ mi EV with the Tesla DNA is all I want. The only gadget that gets me excited is the thought of having an advanced, augmented-reality kind of HUD (configurable of course) that could project basics as well as road and car tracking so that you can be aware of everything going on around you. The model S with autopilot does this on the small display but having this cleanly presented right on the windshield would be very "spaceship" to me. I rented a Mazda a while ago that told you when a car was in your blindspot and just that tiny, simple thing made city traffic much calmer. Telsa could do 10x better, easily.

Reactions: Ubbe and dpeilow
I honestly want a basic car. I am a techie/gadget kind of guy but in this case, a simple, quick, 200+ mi EV with the Tesla DNA is all I want

Agreed, my immediate reaction was that the interior of Model 3 was too spartan, but just a second later I felt that it was clean, uncluttered and most of all like the "future".

Technology is most impressive when it's invisible and unobrusive.

Some kind of HUD/Augmented Reality Windscreen would indeed be cool and useful, and shouldn't have to be all that expensive or exotic really. But I wouldn't count on it either (in order to manage my expectations and following disappointment :) )

I'm going to assume there will be some sort of advanced HUD since Elon mentioned it would look like a spaceship, AND have no instrument panel... where else could the other display go?? That's something I would love to see, although I'd almost rather them rework the design and add a slim instrument panel with important info - mph, current nav, inside/outside temp, etc...

I'm a true tech geek, so I'd love to see even a nearly full autonomous capability.

But one of the biggest requests for me would be a GOOD voice input system...Google would be lovely. I've been in and owned several very expensive cars which have all had this feature mysteriously absent. The voice input on all of them has been horrendous!

It takes 5 minutes to tell the system to navigate to a location, going through the antiquated prompts, step by step. It's 2016 for crying out loud - my $700 smartphone can do it with ease, why not a $70,000 car!?!

I should be able to say, "Hi [insert car's name]" (wait for prompt) "navigate me to Times Square in NYC ", and it should just bring up navigation and start the route! That's really not asking for much lol maybe the model S already has this feature? Maybe someone can fill me in?