Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defines a 2012, 2013 or 2014 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks -

What factors determine the model year of the car? Is it fair to assume they will not be selling 2013 Model S's next year? (for example if I were to order today)

Is it the date the car is delivered? The date it enters production... sourcing parts... or what they are offering at the time you order it?

Basically if there is a date they begin selling 2014 cars, that would be good to know. There is no model year on the web site ordering pages. Compare this with http://www.ford.com/ where you are slapped with the model year right on the front page.

Mart

For the Roadster Tesla used version numbers (1.5, 2.0, 2.5) instead of model years. They'll probably do the same with the Model S. The factory makes continuous incremental improvements to the design, so the cars can be different month to month. The VIN number is the best gauge of where any one car fits in the evolution.

They don't really have model years as other manufacturers do. but I am assuming you are wanting a 2014 for resale. What Tesla sales told me was to order anytime after Jan 1st to ensure it is a "2014"

Hi folks -

What factors determine the model year of the car? Is it fair to assume they will not be selling 2013 Model S's next year? (for example if I were to order today)

Is it the date the car is delivered? The date it enters production... sourcing parts... or what they are offering at the time you order it?

Basically if there is a date they begin selling 2014 cars, that would be good to know. There is no model year on the web site ordering pages. Compare this with http://www.ford.com/ where you are slapped with the model year right on the front page.

Mart

Folks who have already taken delivery will know better, but I believe that:
1) Tesla doesn't follow typical manufacturer model years, so basically, if you receive the car in 2014, it's a 2014.
2) The VIN will start with a different letter "D", "E", etc to indicate model year. Tesla hasn't started the 2014 model year letter yet.
3) If you're waiting for a 2014 model with upgrades, don't! The Tesla receives over the air (OTA) upgrades constantly. The styling probably won't change until 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

They don't really have model years as other manufacturers do. but I am assuming you are wanting a 2014 for resale. What Tesla sales told me was to order anytime after Jan 1st to ensure it is a "2014"
By "order" do you think they meant "confirm"?

Most automakers are stupid and start model years in the middle of the year so you will buy the next year car during summer
Tesla is real with their model years - Jan 1 finished is the next year. Car done on the 31st of Dec will be the current year model. No difference between each car though unless options and changes happened to coincide with the new year which will most likely never happen.

1) Tesla doesn't follow typical manufacturer model years, so basically, if you receive the car in 2014, it's a 2014.
Not really true. Some current orders are scheduled for delivery in 2014 but have 2013 VINs (mostly EU-bound at this point). So it's either the year the VIN was assigned, or with perhaps some planning on Tesla's part, the year the car entered production. Not delivery, though.

+1. My order was finalized in December of 2012, the car was manufactured in December of 2012 with a VIN assigned at that point.
I took delivery on January 17, 2013. It doesn't really mean much, what's more important are what options you get... For example, rear seat heaters/winter package, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, none of that was availble when I ordered.
I have every option but those. (well no rear facing seats or paint protection either).

The styling will remain the same for 6+ years per Elon. That would be June 2019 at the earliest for a change. BMW typically does 7 or 8 years. The GM and Ford model of yearly changes will not happen. Random small changes are incorporated as they are available/needed. Usually supply or cost issues for changes and availability for new accessories. Very few cars are ever the same with all the accessory combinations and the ongoing changes.

As above, the VIN determines the year and they try for a Jan 1 change.

+1. My order was finalized in December of 2012, the car was manufactured in December of 2012 with a VIN assigned at that point.
I took delivery on January 17, 2013. It doesn't really mean much, what's more important are what options you get... For example, rear seat heaters/winter package, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, none of that was availble when I ordered.
I have every option but those. (well no rear facing seats or paint protection either).

My car is a 2012 it was manufactured in December 2012 and delivered in January 2013.
if a car finishes manufacture on or before Dec 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM it is a 2013.
if a car finishes manufacture on or after Jan 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM it is a 2014.

The jury is still out I think... I'm waiting on some confirmation from my Tesla staff at the Domain.

If anyone thinks it means no difference, consider this -

#1 Whoever the second owner of the car is, in perhaps say 2021 or 2022, will probably prefer a 2014 car over a 2013 car.

#2 State Farm charge less to insure cars that are older. (I think all the other ones too) So in that regard, the 2013 labelling wins, because the cheap insurance will occur sooner!

Most automakers are stupid and start model years in the middle of the year so you will buy the next year car during summer
Tesla is real with their model years - Jan 1 finished is the next year. Car done on the 31st of Dec will be the current year model. No difference between each car though unless options and changes happened to coincide with the new year which will most likely never happen.
Stupid isn't the word I would use. "Model year inflation" is one way to put it. Kind of like "version inflation" with software and the changing color of the fabric on mattresses (introducing an arbitrary difference to draw a line between newest and not-newest).

2) The VIN will start with a different letter "D", "E", etc to indicate model year. Tesla hasn't started the 2014 model year letter yet.
3) If you're waiting for a 2014 model with upgrades, don't! The Tesla receives over the air (OTA) upgrades constantly. The styling probably won't change until 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

By "order" do you think they meant "confirm"?

I am guessing the Vin just needs to be assigned in 2014, so if you place your order in the end of Dec. you would be fine. but thats what she responded was I recommended placing your order after Jan 1st to ensure its a 2014 model year.

Here are the regs governing VINs:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part565.pdf

The feds define "Model Year" as "(m) Model year means the year usedto designate a discrete vehicle model,
irrespective of the calendar year in
which the vehicle was actually produced,
provided that the production period
does not exceed 24 months."

So, there's a fair amount of flexibility as long as one "model year" doesn't last more than two calendar years.

Stupid isn't the word I would use. "Model year inflation" is one way to put it. Kind of like "version inflation" with software and the changing color of the fabric on mattresses (introducing an arbitrary difference to draw a line between newest and not-newest).

sorry, that was the 'nice' word I chose.
I like the way Tesla is doing it and have always questioned the traditional automakers pulling out the next 'model year' before the year is even close but JST's post sheds some light on that

I like the way Tesla is doing it and have always questioned the traditional automakers pulling out the next 'model year' before the year is even close but JST's post sheds some light on that

I think it's just inertia in the system. I was told that Tesla initially didn't want model "years" but that most jurisdictions' vehicle registration systems require it. So as dsmith2189 says, they just arbitrarily assign a "year" to the car based on date of manufacture. Where Tesla is different is that there is essentially no difference between a late 2013 and an early 2014 since the changes and modifications are continuous and incremental.

sorry, that was the 'nice' word I chose.
Nah, my point wasn't an objection to the terminology but rather that I don't think it's generally "stupid" on their part. Social, market and competitive forces trigger all sorts of interesting behavior -- like version inflation -- even if they end up with absurd results for consumers.

... consider this -

#1 Whoever the second owner of the car is, in perhaps say 2021 or 2022, will probably prefer a 2014 car over a 2013 car....

That may not happen. Used MS buyers could quickly be schooled that Tesla "does it differently" and that it does not matter the year. It's just about the VIN and what the original customer ordered.