Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do if you have a flat tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my 70D last week, I was told by the DS that there is no spare tire that comes with the car.

y question is if I have a flat tire then what should I do? Should I just call the 1-800 #? Will they come and fix the flat tire? How long does it normally take them to arrive?

I carry these ... and a cell phone :cool:

upload_2016-6-17_11-39-53.png

upload_2016-6-17_11-38-4.png

Reactions: bhzmark
When I picked up my 70D last week, I was told by the DS that there is no spare tire that comes with the car.

y question is if I have a flat tire then what should I do? Should I just call the 1-800 #? Will they come and fix the flat tire? How long does it normally take them to arrive?
Yes - arrival depends on how far away you are from a service center.

Based on experience I do not recommend the tire repair kits that come with the rasp and having to push in the rubber strips with glue. None of those have worked well for me. I have had very good and lasting experiences with Dynaplug. Not only are the much easier to use, don't need glue, they also last much longer. I've driven thousands of miles with them.
I've had mixed experiences with the flat spray bottles. I still keep one in my car along with the Dynaplug just in case. I also bought a little 12 Volt compressor that I keep in the car. There are also kits with those little CO2 bottles. They worked great for me for my motorcycles, but to fill up a Tesla tire, you might need a few more bottles.

No - the tires are not run flats.

I carry a bottle of Slime and a compressor. If you get Slime or Fix-a-Flat, make sure you get their TPMS-safe versions, otherwise you'll end up having to replace the TPMS sensors along with the tire…

But in my experience, a compressor has been sufficient for most tire leaks. The only time I've changed a tire since '94 was in early '08, where I had a tread failure (the tire stayed inflated, but a ~3/4 inch section of treat separated from the tire and was whipping around. I've had several other tire leaks, but none were bad enough that a compressor couldn't re-inflate the tire enough to get me to a tire store to look at the tire (I'm about 50-50 on patches vs having to replace the tire). One of those was on the Tesla, where I got a large thorn in the sidewall -- tire had to be replaced, but the compressor did its job.

On my road trip, I actually had a flat tire in Oakland (I'm from NJ btw). They sent a tow truck that carried a spare tire and the driver swapped out the tire for me. I put the damaged one in my trunk, got it repaired a few days later, and took it back to the service center in Burbank. Whole process took about 3 hours and there was no charge as it's included under the 50,000mi 4 year warranty.

Hope this helps.

I literally don't care what anyone says about those snotty shoe-string patches. They are solid and I've been using them for over ten years. I had a Tacoma that had six of them in one tire with zero pressure loss. As long as it's a puncture in the tread and not the sidewall, I put my money on them any day.

Edit: Not a fan of any liquid sealant on the Tesla's due to the TPMS risk. A tiny compressor is worth it to carry around.

On my road trip, I actually had a flat tire in Oakland (I'm from NJ btw). They sent a tow truck that carried a spare tire and the driver swapped out the tire for me. I put the damaged one in my trunk, got it repaired a few days later, and took it back to the service center in Burbank. Whole process took about 3 hours and there was no charge as it's included under the 50,000mi 4 year warranty.

Hope this helps.

Wow - wouldn't have occurred to me that flats were covered as part of the new car warranty. Good to know, although for me it's academic as I'm now at 53,000+ miles. Although still with the OEM Michelins. The fronts are at 3/32" and the rears getting to 2/32". Appointment scheduled for this week for replacements.

Next, I think I'll add the full complement of:

breaker bar
proper jack
plug/coring kit
torque wrench
correct socket
air compressor, DC else AC w/sufficient inverter
Extension cable whether for DC or AC variant
2 cans of TPMS-friendly Slime

That should probably do it, and won't take up all that much space at least in my RWD 85 (full frunk including microwave). Gonna be a sad day with the new mini-frunk. It *might* hold all of the above and my car washing stuff. Maybe. But no room for ale. Nope. Not even a little bit. Mais oui. Quelle tragique.

Wow - wouldn't have occurred to me that flats were covered as part of the new car warranty. Good to know, although for me it's academic as I'm now at 53,000+ miles. Although still with the OEM Michelins. The fronts are at 3/32" and the rears getting to 2/32". Appointment scheduled for this week for replacements.

Next, I think I'll add the full complement of:

breaker bar
proper jack
plug/coring kit
torque wrench
correct socket
air compressor, DC else AC w/sufficient inverter
Extension cable whether for DC or AC variant
2 cans of TPMS-friendly Slime

That should probably do it, and won't take up all that much space at least in my RWD 85 (full frunk including microwave). Gonna be a sad day with the new mini-frunk. It *might* hold all of the above and my car washing stuff. Maybe. But no room for ale. Nope. Not even a little bit. Mais oui. Quelle tragique.

Whoa, you got drag slicks on that baby.

In the time since I've had my P85 in early 2013, I've been fortunate to only have one flat tire.

On the end of a 180 mile road trip, the tire pressure light came on. I pulled over, and verified that one of the tires was losing pressure. Fortunately, I was only a few miles from home, and drove slowly, and was able to get home and then called Tesla.

They had a truck out early the next morning, and towed the car to the nearest Service Center - and replaced the tire.

While not having a spare is a concern (especially since we're planning to go on a 2000 mile road trip in a few weeks), the combination of having Tesla's pump/repair kit and their roadside service seems to be an acceptable replacement for a spare tire. Though I'm hoping we don't test that when we're hundreds of miles away from a service center...

There's always an element of risk here and how much you are wiling to tolerate. In town flats are one thing. On a road trip can be something else entirely. Your best bet for the latter is...buy a spare tire and rim and take it with you just on road trips (will they fit in the frunk on non AWD cars?). Not one anyone wants to hear, but it could save you a DAY or more stuck waiting not so much for a rescue vehicle but for someone to get the right tire in stock - especially if you have the 21s (staggered size will be even worse). Plan B would be the tire plug kit and can of goo as others have noted. For a full on blow out though, only a spare will save you.

In my 3 1/2 year old model S, I have had 4 flats! I carry a full size wheel and tire in the frunk. On a recent road trip while in Estes Park Colorado I had a slow leak. i called AAA to have someone come out and change the tire (no tools or a jack). The guy came and he told me he has had a number of calls for luxury cars to change to a spare. He had to tell the car owner "dude there is no spare with your Mercedes". In this case he pumped up the tire and I followed him to their shop where he repaired it. I also carry a 12V air compressor.

When I first had the car I called road side assistance when I had a flat. Yes Tesla provides the service, but they pick up your car with a flat bed and take it to the service center. This is much more time consuming than changing to a spare.