Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened after charging??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged this morning at a supercharger and had 100kw. I tried to use a Chargepoint at Whole Foods to just see how things would go. It was way too slow so went back to the supercharger. It was only 33kw and then I realized it was set to 5A current.
Once I realized this, I changed it to 32A but still charged at the 33kw. What am I doing wrong or what happened??
Thanks in advance!

The setting on the screen is for AC charging; it won’t affect a Supercharger session.

The speed of Supercharging is affected by a lot of factors, including state of charge and battery temperature and connector temperature and several things on the utility side.

If you have a warm pack and a relatively empty site and get a low charge rate for your state off charge, it is often worthwhile to move to another stall.

I charged this morning at a supercharger and had 100kw. I tried to use a Chargepoint at Whole Foods to just see how things would go. It was way too slow so went back to the supercharger. It was only 33kw and then I realized it was set to 5A current.
Once I realized this, I changed it to 32A but still charged at the 33kw. What am I doing wrong or what happened??
Thanks in advance!

You were probably paired with another vehicle. Note the numbers on the stalls ... 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. If someone is on 1A and you plug into 1B, you will get their leftovers (it's a bit more complex than that, but this is a good-enough example to keep things simple.)

As mentioned already, changing the amp limit on the charging screen has no impact on Supercharging speed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks in advance!

You filled the battery up during initial Supercharging. As the battery fills, it limits charging.
You charged at Whole Foods and
  • L2 chargers vary in speed dramatically
  • If the battery was full from the Supercharger, it still could be full. Even L2 tapers off.
  • There could have been a 5A limit set.
When you went back to the Supercharger
  • Again, a full batter won't charge at full speed, or any speed at all.